Quest for Myrithia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mnewton1

Re: Quest for Myrithia

Post by mnewton1 »

You could use Raenna's portrait from BMR. You should probably ask doofus though.
Attachments
raenna.png
raenna.png (164.72 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

UPDATE
I'm starting to develop a basic plot frame now. I now have an idea of what shape the main storyline is going to take. I won't reveal it yet, since it is still developing and might change.
About the male/female hero issue: I think this is a minor detail right now, so for now it is going to be male hero only. Once I have basically finished the main quest, I can spend more time on details like that, so I may implement that feature then. But for now I'm going to be more concerned about the main plot.
Captain_Wrathbow

UPDATE
I'm almost done with the first scenario: Village of Kuuriq. When it is finished I will post the campaign up here to download, even though you will only be able to play one scenario. You will at least be able to get a feel for it.
melinath

Post by melinath »

The male/female thing is extremely easy to solve: make a variable called $hero_portrait that's set in the option of a dialogue box. Or use {MODIFY_UNIT portrait path} You don't even have to stick to just two portraits - give a choice of six or so. Use small cropped versions as previews and then the full image in a confirmation dialog. Hopefully I'm making sense right now.
alextit

Post by alextit »

ok cool good bottom I am impatient of the exit of game :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sorry I use a no translator
Captain_Wrathbow

melinath wrote:The male/female thing is extremely easy to solve: make a variable called $hero_portrait that's set in the option of a dialogue box. Or use {MODIFY_UNIT portrait path} You don't even have to stick to just two portraits - give a choice of six or so. Use small cropped versions as previews and then the full image in a confirmation dialog. Hopefully I'm making sense right now.
Yes, you're making plenty of sense, I know what you're saying, but I don't have that many portraits. I have one right now, and I'm thinking I might ask doofus if I can use Raenna's. I suppose I could also use the mainline trapper/huntsman portraits as options... But then I'm stretching it to get three male portraits, let alone a few more female options. It is very do-able, if I can get enough good portraits.
melinath

Post by melinath »

The portraits don't necessarily have to match the sprite perfectly. Use some nice mainline ones or find things from other campaigns, w/e. Even if you don't have enough portraits right now, you could set up the framework, then it'd be easy to add more later on.
Captain_Wrathbow

Finally, you can play it!
A couple of notes:
1. Put it in data/campaigns not userdata. Next updated release should work with userdata.
2. After finishing the scenario, it will end abruptly with "Unknown scenario: World_Map". No, it's not the end, it's just as far as I've gotten.
3. I like melinath's multi-portrait options idea, but I haven't implemented it yet. For now there is one default portrait.
4. And oh yeah, I haven't written a description for the campaign in the campaign list, so don't be alarmed when you see my note-to-self that I need to write something there.
5. I designed it for Wesnoth 1.6.2.
Once I get a little further, I will be putting it on the add-on server. I don't want to put it on yet at this super-early stage.
Attachments
Quest_for_Myrithia.zip
Quest for Myrithia
(301.66 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Huston

Post by Huston »

is this sorta like Final Fantasy Tactics? (i'm talking about the original playstation one not the new gameboy remakes of it)

EDIT: i felt like putting it in my userdata folder so i fixed it here you go.
Quest_for_Myrithia.zip
(308.43 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Thanks, Huston, and I have actually never played the original playstation one. I'm not really into Final Fantasy. I like Wesnoth better. :wink:
Huston

Post by Huston »

when will you release the world map?
Captain_Wrathbow

Well, hopefully soon, but it won't be completely playable, i.e. you won't yet be able to visit all locations.
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm still tweaking out the first scenario, but I ran into a problem today. The idea is that there will be a few sub quests in the game where your prize is an alternate weapon. (for example, let's just say sword) Once you have unlocked more than one sword, you will be able to go to a right-click item that lets you choose which one you want to equip. Then your attack strengths and weapon specials are adjusted accordingly. For now I have only set up a little bit of the "menu" but I tried testing it and it says there is a missing option closing tag. I know the problem is in this code, (when I remove these lines, everything works) but I have checked my option tags, and I looked for missing quotes, but I can't find the problem.
Btw, does anyone happen to know how to make an image show up next to an option? I've seen it done in UMC's, but I can't figure out how. A normal image= key doesn't do it.
Here's the problematic code:

Code: Select all

[set_menu_item]
	id=gear
	description="Quest Gear"
	image=cursors/attack.png

[command]
		[message]
			speaker=narrator
			caption="*Quest Gear"
			message= _ "<0,0,205>Here you can select such things as the sword, bow, and armor you would like to use."
			[option]
				message= _ "Sword"
				[command]
					[message]
						speaker=narrator
						caption="*Sword"
						message= _ "#Choose the sword you would like to use.
Current Sword: $sword"
						[option]
							message= _ "Kuuriqan Short Sword"
							[command]
							[/command]
						[/option]
					[/message]
				[/comand]
			[/option]
			[option]
				message= _ "Bow"
				[command]
					[message]
						speaker=narrator
						caption="*Bow"
						message= _ "#Choose the bow you would like to use.
Current Bow: $bow"
						[option]
							message= _ "Kuuriqan Smallbow"
							[command]
							[/command]
						[/option]
					[/message]
				[/comand]
			[/option]
		[/message]
	[/command]

[/set_menu_item]
Huston

Post by Huston »

uhmm... you'll get more help with quicker results from the wml workshop, which is conveniently located 3 sub-forums above this one. :wink:

EDIT: also while you are at figuring out wml why don't you see about adding in NPC's that just say random things(like have a giant repository of things they might say) and move in random directions when they aren't being talked to. this would probably add to the adventure aspect of the campaign.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Btw, does anyone happen to know how to make an image show up next to an option? I've seen it done in UMC's, but I can't figure out how. A normal image= key doesn't do it.
As Turuk told you when you posted this in the WML workshop: if you've seen it in a UMC, it's easy to look into the guts and see how it was done. I could do it too, but this isn't my project.

As for the code you've posted (which should go in the WML Workshop), the problem is that you actually do have a missing closing tag. A couple, actually. You tried to close [command] with [/comand] (missing an m) which doesn't work. I noticed this twice, once for the sword option and once for the bow.