Quest for Myrithia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Quest for Myrithia

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Quest for Myrithia is my latest project, a campaign where the scenarios have no specific order. Instead each scenario depicts a place in the kingdom of Myrithia (not at all related to Wesnoth) and can be visited unlimited times throughout the course of the campaign. Players can move from scenario to scenario by moving to map locations in adjacent places that "connect" the places. There will be no recruiting, only one human-controlled unit that can be customized and upgraded throughout the campaign. In addition to the main storyline, I will try to include plenty of amusing little sub-quests that will provide un-mandatory but helpful items or upgrades. Since each scenario depends on all the others, I'm not sure if I'll be able to post any functional developmental versions to download, but I'll do the best I can to provide updates of my progress as frequently as possible. I am currently designing the maps and brainstorming plots and ideas. Which brings us to this...
I would like to have an original, non-mainline sprite for the main character, but I am not a very good graphics artist unfortunately. So if anybody would be willing to contribute any ideas or images, I would be grateful. What I'm looking for is not a knight in shining armor, but a more common-looking person with a melee and ranged attack (Sword and bow? Simple is fine!). It would be nice if it included some smooth frames also but if not, I may be able to improve or fill it in somehow. I can make the unit_type file though, so that's not necessary. If I don't get any inspiration from anyone, I will most likely end up using the Human Commander (from utbs) or Ranger images.
NOTE: If you post any images to this thread, you are giving me permission to use, edit, and/or publish them.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Quest for Myrithia

Post by Gambit »

I like the name :)
And I also really really like the idea of a free roam campaign.

For your hero try data/core/images/units/human-outlaws/ranger.png
The unit is not often seen during gameplay. It isn't in any single player campaigns and it's not easy to get one in multiplayer. It would have the "new" feel you're looking for. He's not a knight in shining armour, and he has a bow and a sword.

Edit: Oh lol you do plan to use the ranger :lol2:
melinath

Post by melinath »

You may be interested in this campaign, which has a similar goal.
Captain_Wrathbow

melinath wrote:You may be interested in this campaign, which has a similar goal.
Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at that. when I set out to make an rpg-type campaign, I had no idea anyone else had ever tried to do something like that before.
Captain_Wrathbow

UPDATE
I am still working on the maps, but I had a really cool idea that oughta really spice up the campaign. I'm going to have a variable that adds one each turn up to a hundred, then resets to zero. each time it reaches 25,50,75, or 0 a mask will be applied to the map to depict the current season. (i.e. in spring the river will flood from all the melting excess snow from winter, or the state of the forest tiles will change) And in order to keep it consistent, I would have the variable checked each time you enter a new scenario and the proper mask would be applied. If anybody else has a reason they think this wouldn't work or I could improve it, or even any other general suggestions for the project, I would be glad to hear (err, uh... read) them.
melinath

Post by melinath »

You can have a sliding time scale - i.e. not every 100 turns, every 100 days. Or 90 days, if you prefer.
Captain_Wrathbow

UPDATE
I'm getting tired of designing maps, so I'm now working on the first scenario, (That is, where you start the campaign. It can be visited unlimited times throughout the campaign. Although, there will be some additional dialogue the first time.) your home village.
Captain_Wrathbow

Okay, I'm trying to think of a good name for my hero. I need something original, but nothing ridiculously long or unpronounceable. Any ideas?
I was also thinking it might be neat if, at the beginning of the campaign, I had a message with a text field where the user could type in his own name for the hero. I think it's possible to do that, but I really have no idea how, though.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Okay, I'm trying to think of a good name for my hero. I need something original, but nothing ridiculously long or unpronounceable. Any ideas?
I was also thinking it might be neat if, at the beginning of the campaign, I had a message with a text field where the user could type in his own name for the hero. I think it's possible to do that, but I really have no idea how, though.
Cool idea! Just use a textinput field to store the name as a variable (say, heroname) and then just insert $heroname any time the name would be used (like in unit creation. Though you might have to modify the unit instead... not sure... depends how early you can do the input and how early side leaders are created.)
Captain_Wrathbow

melinath wrote:Just use a textinput field to store the name as a variable (say, heroname) and then just insert $heroname any time the name would be used
Thanks! I'm definitely going to try to include that feature.
Captain_Wrathbow

UPDATE
Still working on the "first" scenario. The first time you visit it, at the beginning of the campaign, it will have a lot more dialogue and it will introduce the plot.
I'm also planning something that is going to take a lot of work to set up, but will be really neat in the end. I'm going to have an extra right-click menu choice when you are adjacent to a friendly unit. It will be "speak". When you click on it the adjacent unit will talk to you, and I hope to set it up so that everyone will say something different depending on how far you are in the main quest. This obviously will take a long time, so I may end up changing it to only certain units will say different things throughout the quest. But it is still a cool idea, and it makes it a lot more like a real rpg.
And also, I have decided on the unit for my hero. I'm going to snatch the human-commander images from UtBS and use those. It was hard to decide between that and the ranger, in the end I decided that I thought the ranger looked just too... dark. Sinister. I guess the human-commander kind of does too, but oh well, I'm using the human-commander.
alextit

Post by alextit »

grieve if you already say but me understand everything not (I am french)

therefore:

it will be make for when??

what it is the unit of the hero??

curiosity (for woman) will it be possible to choose the sex of the figure??

otherwise she has the aerie really brilliant
sorry I use a no translator
Captain_Wrathbow

alextit wrote:it will be make for when??

what it is the unit of the hero??

curiosity (for woman) will it be possible to choose the sex of the figure??
Well, I'm making it now, but because of the way the campaign works, It will not be playable until I at least finish the basic outline of each scenario. So you may not be able to play it for a while, but you can keep checking in here for updates on my progress.

The unit is going to be a custom one I made that I call simply a "Hero". It is an extremely weak unit, but you upgrade it throughout the campaign.

And no, I think it is only going to be possible to play as a male hero, although you could name him whatever you want, and the unit images aren't very gender-specific, so it is possible that you could say it is male or female depending on what you name it.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:And no, I think it is only going to be possible to play as a male hero, although you could name him whatever you want, and the unit images aren't very gender-specific, so it is possible that you could say it is male or female depending on what you name it.
I was about to argue with this, but then I checked and realized that yes, the human commander unit does look quite androgynous. I'd say it's a pretty good choice, aside from not allowing for any sort of level advancement (at least not any that's reflected in the sprite).
Captain_Wrathbow

Well, I'm only using the images and animations from human-commander. I'm completely redoing the unit itself, including special advancement features. (sort of like Kaleh in UtBS, but mine won't be quite that intricate)
The only problem with the either gender thing is the portrait. The main character in this campaign really really shouldn't be just a sprite image. I was going to use this: (I got it from one of the HttT story images)
The hero portrait.
The hero portrait.
hero.png (67.87 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
But that obviously won't work if the player wants a female hero. If I had two portraits, I could have an option message at the beginning of the campaign asking whether you want male or female, then set the hero's profile accordingly, right? Would that work?