Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compatible)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Devrailis Colandore

Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compatible)

Post by Devrailis Colandore »

Hello everybody.

About last year I had posted a campaign that I had been working on. You can find the original thread for the original version of the campaign, including background on the setting, here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20549

Due to time constraints (school, work) and technical issues (poor coding, updating to v1.6), it has been a while since I have posted any updates. However, I have been getting back to the job of working on the campaign, and bring it to a conclusion. I have recently completed updating the code for v1.6.x compatibility and the campaign should run smoothly without crashing now.

At this moment, the campaign is still incomplete, however most of the scenarios have already been written, and one additional scenario has been bug-tested enough to include into the campaign itself. As this is a development version, you might find some artifacts pop up in the WML code, those are there for testing purposes and will be removed once the campaign has been complete.

I'd like to thank everyone who has given me assistance with the project, including help with the WML and mapping.

As always, comments about any bugs, poor use of language, typos, balancing, etc..., and suggestions are always welcome.

EDIT:

Version 0.1.8 has been released:

Updates in this release include:
- Fixed a bug that caused Aramelle, Freiseia and Elbreis to start scenario 7 without full HP and/or MP
- Fixed a bug that allowed you to recall Freiseia on turn 1 in scenario 10
- Fixed the map error bug for scenario's 11 and 12

The release is available on the add-on server, all comments and suggestions are welcome!

-----

Version 0.1.7 has been released:

Updates in this release include:
- Fixed a bug that allowed Perrin to recruit after The Purge of Estelaisen
- Reduced the number of villages in Distant Ends
- Reduced the income levels of all enemy leaders in Distant Ends
- Fixed a bug that was allowing Freiseia to spawn a turn early and in the wrong place in Cathedral
- Added two new scenarios (now 12 out of a possible 17)
Last edited by Devrailis Colandore on May 7th, 2009, 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compatible)

Post by zookeeper »

Invalid add-on type and I think the invalid lieutenant icon path comes from this, too.
Devrailis Colandore

zookeeper wrote:Invalid add-on type and I think the invalid lieutenant icon path comes from this, too.
Ugh, I thought I had caught those problems earlier on and fixed them. Bad on me for not double checking. Thank you for giving me the heads up, I appreciate it.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Man, you really need to get to grip with your files :] There's five pieces of dialogue in scenario 11 file looking like this :

Code: Select all

High Cleric Tollins: So Aramelle, I will give my blessings, but not to you. No, I give it to your cause.

Aramelle: High Cleric. I...

High Cleric Tollins: Or perhaps I bless you because you come here in this, of all such holy places, covered in blood and holding a sword. You must learn to count your blessings Aramelle.

Aramelle: Ah... But nevertheless, I owe so many so much. Perhaps to you I now owe the greatest debt of all.

High Cleric Tollins: Your debts come so easily. I must wonder, just who you will be most beholden to after all is said and done.
That bit looks like it's is in dire need of formating to [message] blocks. Do try at least to launch the stuff you want to upload to the server, will ya ;)
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Devrailis Colandore

Mist wrote:Man, you really need to get to grip with your files :] There's five pieces of dialogue in scenario 11 file looking like this :

High Cleric Tollins: So Aramelle, I will give my blessings, but not to you. No, I give it to your cause.

Aramelle: High Cleric. I...

High Cleric Tollins: Or perhaps I bless you because you come here in this, of all such holy places, covered in blood and holding a sword. You must learn to count your blessings Aramelle.

Aramelle: Ah... But nevertheless, I owe so many so much. Perhaps to you I now owe the greatest debt of all.

High Cleric Tollins: Your debts come so easily. I must wonder, just who you will be most beholden to after all is said and done.
That bit looks like it's is in dire need of formating to [message] blocks. Do try at least to launch the stuff you want to upload to the server, will ya ;)
Oh, I see. I have two versions of the campaign, one that has what I have completed to far and the other is a development version. I must have been uploading the wrong one up. That scenario shouldn't even be in the campaign yet. Thanks for letting me know. I ought to take the pbl file out of the development version.

EDIT:

Alright, I've changed the upload and hopefully a cleaner version should be up. I've removed the development version from the Wesnoth folder entirely so hopefully there won't be a mix up again when I'm uploading campaigns in the middle of the night. Wow, that's embarrasing! :lol2:
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Tried to play it, unfortunately scenario 4 is unbeatable at the moment. Normal difficulty, turn 15. My units are roughly at x=24 coordinates, princess is at around x=39, on 6hp and sorrounded by enemies. Even assuming theres no combat along the way, I don't think I'd made it there in time.
Disorder.
Devrailis Colandore

Mist wrote:Tried to play it, unfortunately scenario 4 is unbeatable at the moment. Normal difficulty, turn 15. My units are roughly at x=24 coordinates, princess is at around x=39, on 6hp and sorrounded by enemies. Even assuming theres no combat along the way, I don't think I'd made it there in time.
I'll try fixing that. It was a problem in the last version during 1.3.x but I had shifted the Princess's position as she sometimes moved towards you and sometimes rushed the enemy instead. The fix last time seemed to work. I'll move her closer to the entrance again.

EDIT: Alright, I've uploaded a new version. The Princess will spawn a turn later and much closer to the entrance. I checked the AI behaviour of the side that she is in before she joins you and it hasn't changed from the previous versions of the campaign. I don't know how reliable it is, but she's supposed to move towards the entrance while avoiding enemies. I played through it myself and had no trouble finding her around turns 16/17. Let me know if this comes up again. Thanks.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Okay, played through as far as was possible (that is till scenario 10 crashed with nonexisting unit type). Firstly technical nitpicks

1) Don't use recruit=Nil, it sometimes crashes campaign when you do ctrl+r. Use empty string (recruit="") or omit the key for these cases.
2) Don't use hypens (-) in unit types, it corrupts saves and replays later on (You use it for the counts lvl3)
3) All of your custom units lack a default AMLA (even if you don't want it, make one doing nothing to inform the player there's no further level up, not everyone likes to study unit description help entries ;) )
4) Solyani Graycoat, Perugis General, Graycoat Fusilier and Solyani Almagar have capitalised alignment (Lawful and Neutral instead of lawful and neutral), alignemnts are case sensitive and as it is your version doesn't work (I think it defaults to neutral in these cases)
5) In scenario 10 you recall by description instead id, that causes Lady Lohrin not to show up.

Now general impresions.

I kind of like it, you create a good storyline and write pretty nice dialogues (though I think sometimes you get slightly carried away with them, just a personal opinion, feel free to ignore). Also generaly, save that one issue with finding the princess, finished scenarios (that's not including cathedral) are pretty balanced already. That said, the longer ones (Distant ends, Amidst the Laansratch), once you break initial resistance, turn into a huge xp fest. I managed to leave Amidst with both squads leveled to the max (and no loses IIRC) and Distant Ends with around a dozen of level 3+, you might want to be careful, or it'll turn into a problem later (actually when cathedral crashed I almost conquered second initial settlement on turn 15). So to sum it up, pretty good work. Keep it up
Disorder.
Devrailis Colandore

Thanks for the feedback.

1) I've finally gone over all of the scenario files, and I believe all instances of recruit=nil have now been nixed.

2) Thanks for letting me know about that, I had no idea it would corrupt save files. I was having some savefile issues in earlier versions, this might have been the cause. I've removed the hyphen from the unit name.

3) I didn't really think about AMLA, I just assumed that units that maxed their levels wouldn't benefit from experience. I've added the default AMLA macro to all max level units just to be safe.

4) I thought I had caught those. : / Well, they're fixed now. Thanks for bringing it up!

5) I've fixed every instance of recalling units by "description" now. Hopefully, this should help.

I don't have a quick solution for the grinding problem at the moment. I think the best way to handle it would be to lower the number of units encountered while making them tougher. If the AI recruits too few units, then I'm afraid that the scenarios would become empty and boring. I was aware of the meat walling issue in the Lansraatch scenario, but I decided to leave it as it was since I figured the player would need the high level units for the next scenario, and they wouldn't be keeping those units anyway. I'll have to work on what to do for Distant Ends though, it didn't occur to me that it would be an issue.

Could you give me some details on what went wrong with scenario 10? Did the crash happen in the middle of the scenario or did it happen at the very beginning? I just played through the scenario myself and did not run into any problems. I'm wondering if the error you ran into was triggered by an event.

Thanks again for the help! :)
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

20090426 20:53:25 error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type 'Crown AuxiliaryGuard'
That happened when my unit triggered main cathedral garrison following the Miralone path. I belive it's this event

# Trigger the Cathedral Battle upon reaching the Cathedral Walls
					# Place Units and Enable Recruitment Lists for Leaders
					[event]
						name=sighted
An particulary these two spawns

# Side 4:

{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 4 (Crown AuxiliaryGuard) 2 30 (Cathedral Sentry) ( _ "Cathedral Sentry")}
						{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 4 (Crown AuxiliaryGuard) 4 30 (Cathedral Sentry) ( _ "Cathedral Sentry")}
Because everywhere around you use either Crown Auxiliary or Patrol Guard types ;)

And if you really want the player to choose only one of the paths, place an impassable overlay on the other two approaches (that would be [terrain] tag with layer=overlay and terrain code ^Xo)
Disorder.
Devrailis Colandore

Thanks, I've fixed it out of the code. I didn't catch that one. I should have tested that particular path all the way through like I did with the other two.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to put an impassable overlay on the map or not. I felt that leaving the map open and simply discouraging the player from deviating from their chosen path was a better option, but I'll experiment with your idea since it shouldn't take too much work to make path cut-offs.
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

I found a bug of my own. Whenever I get Aramelle, the Noble, to Level 3 after the Noble Defector, the game will crash. I have no idea what is causing it, but it is dreadfully annoying, since I usually rely heavily upon the Noble, and have been forced to keep him back from battle...

Exact error: game_error: unknown unit type " when generating traits
Devrailis Colandore

Webster52402 wrote:I found a bug of my own. Whenever I get Aramelle, the Noble, to Level 3 after the Noble Defector, the game will crash. I have no idea what is causing it, but it is dreadfully annoying, since I usually rely heavily upon the Noble, and have been forced to keep him back from battle...

Exact error: game_error: unknown unit type " when generating traits
My initial guess was that there was something wrong with the unit file that he was advancing to. I just finished running a test and levelled Aramelle from a Noble Defector to Rebel Populist, and I didn't run into any errors. I also checked the .cfg files for both the Noble Defector class as well as the Rebel Populist and I don't see anything that should be causing this (I did forget to AMLA the Rebel Populist class, but that shouldn't be related). Could you give some more specific information about how and when this happens? This shouldn't be happening and I'm not certain why it is.

I'll attach both unit .cfg files for reference.
Attachments
Guerrilla_Noble_Defector.cfg
Noble Defector .cfg file.
(932 Bytes) Downloaded 376 times
Guerrilla_Rebel_Populist.cfg
Rebel Populist .cfg file.
(923 Bytes) Downloaded 380 times
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

How it happens is relatively normal. I simply fight with Aramelle until he is about to level, however, the moment he gains enough experience, the game will pop up that error and crash. I have changed out both .cfg files with the ones that you have provided, and hopefully, I'll see a change... I'll report back soon.

EDIT: Replaced both .cfgs, and got the same result as before. I'm mystified... :hmm:
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

You need to edit the savefile as well, replacing configs in midcampaign doesn't help for units.
Disorder.