A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 10:55 pm Suggestions I've gotten so far:
Virnrohiik wrote:“Upon exiting the cave, leaving behind the stench and dampness, they found only new, wetter, worse smelling horrors awaiting them.”
Elivaras wrote:"Leaving behind the wetness and stench, the elves exited the cave only to be greeted by a foul smell that eclipsed anything they had ever encountered before."
I think I will add the first one, thank you.
Konrad2 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 10:55 pm EDIT:
'Disobedience'
The Orc leader can recruit human units, but apparently he can't (or doesn't want to) move them out of his castle.
AVB-Disobedience-Auto-Save2.gz

EDIT 2:
Apparently that orc leader can recruit loyal humans which are probably meant to stand around in hills, so they have special behaviour.
That is really weird, and weird twice.
1. Bowman
2. loyal

I have no idea why the Orc can recruit loyal Bowman, indeed he shouldn't recruit Bowman. I cant find a reason for this behaviour in the code.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I am by now very sure that this must have something to do with the way the ambushers are implemented. That Orc also recruited a loyal Javelineer who didn't move.
I managed to finally notice that the green side did the same thing. He recruited 'ambusher-type' units. Why this happens is beyond me though.
Attachments
AVB-Disobedience Turn 10.gz
(74.36 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Hm, indeed it seems that there is some relation to the random ambushers, but it is coded so that the ambushers only spawn on hill terrain, not on castle terrain. I don't find out what is wrong here.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Here is my theory: Not all ambushers could be spawned and instead they went on their recall lists. Theoretically 102 ambushers spawn on hard (soruce: code), but on turn 1 there are only 78 (minus 4 leaders) are on the map (source: status table).
What I haven't figured out, is, why there are no purple ambushers. But whatever the reason for that is, should be the reason why purple does not recruit (recall?) any of those ambusher units.

EDIT: I can confirm the recalling part now. I paid special attention to their gold while they recruited, and the ambush units cost them only 20 gold instead of the 25/26 gold recruiting would cost.

EDIT 2: I'd still like to point out that I have no idea how the code makes this happen or how to fix it. You might want to try the modding channel for that.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: November 30th, 2018, 8:53 pmWhat I haven't figured out, is, why there are no purple ambushers. But whatever the reason for that is, should be the reason why purple does not recruit (recall?) any of those ambusher units.
I can answer that: For some reason, the original author decided that only side 2 and side 3 spawn ambushers, and not side 4 (purple)

And I can confirm everything you noticed,
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Tomorrow I will try to fix that, thank you for noticing that issue.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

In scenario without trolls. (First scenario with trolls) I can't load IT. Help
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

holypaladin wrote: November 30th, 2018, 11:08 pm In scenario without trolls. (First scenario with trolls) I can't load IT. Help
Do you know the name of the last scenario that worked?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

@ Konrad2
I changed the cost of recall to 1000 gold, that means that there are still some ambushers on the enemies recall list, but the enemy is no longer able to recall them. That is just a quick and dirty fix, but it works.
I also dislike that human ambushers, and orcish ambushers wear the same colours, so I guess I will have to rewrite Lemon Teas code, as soon I have a little more time.

@ Holypaladin
On my engine everything works fine. Can you please tell me what version of BfW you have installed, and what version of A Vision Blinded too?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Miranda (that Mermaid Siren) is loyal, but she is missing that bronze ring thing that indicates loyal units.

EDIT:
For the Checkmate
The world map is blurry.

EDIT 2:
I've got a small problem with two of my trolls (from that time I've first met the trolls). Use debug mode to level up the trolls on 5,8 and 5,9 a few times.
Attachments
AVB-For the Checkmate-Auto-Save3.gz
(68.78 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

- added the loyal icon to Miranda
- fixed the advancement problem of the two Troll Whelps
--- plus, I changed it so that those two Troll Whelps are there on the map from the start on, to prevent that the player dismisses them from the recall list
----- also I still think about to make them both loyal
------- also I think about to let one of them advance to a Troll Shaman, so that both of them get a special advancement, but I am not sure about that
- fixed the world map problem

Thanks again Konrad2, for all your error reports and suggestions
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I've enjoyed the campaign so far, but have paused at the start of both scenario 10 and scenario 11 feeling "argh, another huge battle".
The bow in Emerging From The Depths

The grammar in
"$unit.name finds strange old bow. But only a archer can take it!"
should have an "a" in the first sentence, and an "an" in the second:
"$unit.name finds a strange old bow. But only an archer can take it!"

I tried to have an Outrider take the bow, as I couldn't get a unit of the Elvish Archer tree to that hex before turns ran out. I didn't try with the Elvish Fighter tree, assuming that "archer" referred to the unit type.

An Outrider that can take frontier villages and poison any unit trying to dislodge them sounds a bit overpowered, so I want one. :D
AI sending units to capture villages
The AI sends non-scouting units to capture villages. In `08_Disobedience` the purple AI sent a pikeman to capture a village south of the naga, and a shock trooper to capture the water village on 5,43 (the trooper got there on turn eight).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

---------------------------------
version 1.0.18 (changelog)
id="08_Disobedience"
Changed it so that the elvish horseriders also can take the poisoned bow
Added scout units to side 3

Thank you for your feedback

octalot wrote: December 16th, 2018, 5:29 pm I've enjoyed the campaign so far, but have paused at the start of both scenario 10 and scenario 11 feeling "argh, another huge battle".
I have the same feeling about those huge maps. :doh:
But I am not the creator of this campaign, only the maintainer, and I am unsure about making big changes. What is better, keep the campaign original, the way it once was created by LemmonTea, or make improvements and change it? :hmm:
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Adamant14 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:32 pm I have the same feeling about those huge maps. :doh:
But I am not the creator of this campaign, only the maintainer, and I am unsure about making big changes. What is better, keep the campaign original, the way it once was created by LemmonTea, or make improvements and change it? :hmm:
I'm still a bit new to this forum, but as a compromise solution I could suggest that you start a new upload, perhaps as a fork, in case LemonTea one day comes back. Or that you ask the mods/other powers that be for a ruling and clarification.

I personally like (some) big maps, even if ‘And the river ran red’ effectively becomes a race to get to the cluster of mountain tiles in the centre of the map and thus the enemy cavalry is a helpless waste of resources while your trolls and other units just bash anybody who tries to climb up on foot. Still, the idea of the mermaids and other units surviving the battle without even appearing is a bit odd.