A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vicente

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working

Post by vicente »

I had trouble with this one too. I was stuck at the choke point from the north leader and was unable to break the stalemate. After several trials, I decided to rush ahead as fast as possible. At last I had luck to break the initial siege, and broke through. After leveling up a few trolls, the life was a lot easier. I finished in turn 63. Replay is attached, but it is corrupted around turn 30.
In any case, I would like to suggest reducing the income of north leader.
Attachments
AVB-Emerging_from_the_..._replay.gz
(67.57 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

On the marches is incredibly easy - on normal that is. While all moving ambushers might be bad, ambushers that don't move at all even after being revealed are dull. Ok, I don't mind this for undead, but the next scenario has a huge army hidden in the hills and I am supposed to run in the valley and this is even proposed to be an intelligent strategy (as long as the ambushers don't move :)) - but in fact it is meant to be an open air cave. Another story thing: "oh we are going in the other direction while our homeland is burned down, because this might be more interesting" (On the marches epilogue) doesn't convince.

More on Disobedience: It is incredible that there is a huge army sitting in the hills, but as static ambushers not caring at all about the nutty elves breaking through in the valley. (HttT has a similar scenario, but there the guys in the hills are weak, while the main armies aren't as much - and they hit you simultaneously.) It is incredibly easy, too. Ok, I have to blame myself to play in normal. But after you finished the first wave of orcs, all that is left is a steady stream of L2 units that run towards you one by one - and it wouldn't make much difference if there were one or two more units or L3 mixed in. (Mainly because they run around grabbing villages in the start - some going all the way down to the river - especially bad for the heavy infantry.) Ended 14 turns early and I levelled all the recruited L1 in this scenario, some even all the way to L3, and I barely used half the gold available. The AI seriously need some caution and defense grouping and pre-scenario village flagging.
Last edited by taptap on July 10th, 2012, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thanks for the report.

I already changed the map a bit (not to much).
But I need to do some play-testing before I update.
Expect the update tomorrow. :)

@taptap
The story is probably not the best,
but I am not the original author,
not a good story-writer,
and not a native-English speaker too,
so I don't want to rewrite the storyline. :P

Maybe somebody (who is good at story-writing) reads this, and is interested and willing to do it. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Version 0.6.0 is on the server.

The 6th scenario is now a little bit nicer to play (I hope it is). :P
The tunnels are quicker to cross (~40 turns instead of ~80) :)

If you think it it is to easy now, please tell me ...

Otherwise, have fun. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Yeah I much perfer the revamped verison of the formally hellish tunnel level.

I agree with most of tap tap's comments, though I didnt find Disobediance being easy a huge problem, I figured it was meant to be one of those scenarios for building up your gold and army.

Speaking of which how am I supposed to handle For the checkmate? Maybe I'm just not that great a Wesnoth player, but the player is severly out numbered on terrain that is highly favourble to the enemies, and if you try to counter the ai, they'll adapt to whatever you try to use and counter YOU instead. Or am I missing something?

I don't really think the story comment should be brush aside so offhandedly. The story was pretty good for a Wesnoth campaign, and it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a reason for why they suddenly decide to go after humans. Maybe they find out about the human orc alliance? Maybe the human or Orc army blockades the elves?

Edit: Also why does the village next to my base turn black when the silver mages sho up? That seems rather random and unfair

Edit: Looking thorugh the comments, I guess it isnt so bad when you play defensively, thoguh the end kinda drags. Overall good campaign, on Rivers Run Red now
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Played further, been enjoying it but got to Auld Lang Syne and this scenario is ridiculous and imo badly designed.

1) The ally ai is very stupid and nonsensical so. It will send ALL of the Wose to fight the orcs, and never seems to think to send any back to defend the leader, even if the leader is being triple attacked (which WILL happen). The wose leader will as make no attempt at escapising the gang beat, casually staying there until it dies. This needs to be fixed.

2) This mission can quite easily, in fact too easily be lost by luck. Even if you make some riders and Slyph(I only have 1 other than the leader, was i supposed to raise more?) on turn 1, its quite possible the leader will be dead before you can reach him, as shadows backstab for insane damage. QUite often by the time the player gets there, even fairly quickly, the leader will be grievously wounded and at death's door. Unless thier is something I am not seeing, this is completely ridiculous and bad game design.

3) The whole rush troops up top to defend someone too stupid to even make basic efforts to defend themself is: 1)imo unfun 2) Counter intuitive/trial and error, you will probably have to fail at least once to know to rush up there, than a few more times to know how ridiculously fast.

Am I missing something? I'm also wondering if the map is too big or the undead are too close.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

As a quick fix I added a 'protect leader' to the wose-side-AI.
And I resized the map a little bit.
The players starting-position is now 10 hexes closer to the wose-castle,
so the player can protect/support them better.

No big thing, but I hope the scenario is now more playable.

Maybe you can play it again, with the new settings, and tell me what you think about it.
That would be great. :)
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Yeah the new verison of Auld Lang Syne was a lot more playable and fun. Actually quite an exciting scenario. Only problem is, although its still challenging in the beginning I wonder if the new changes allow it be completed very quickly (I won on turn 15), allowing a lot of gold(855 irrc) for the next scenario, making that scenario a mindless rush of recalling your strongest units units and heading down. Though I also wonder if the map for that scenario is too big. In the end i was too lazy to finish it, but was well on the way to victory (it also didnt help their were so many units on the screen that my comp lagged, though it is quite old....).

The ending was unexpected, but quite intresting and I have enjoyed this overall. WOnder if the last scenario could use changing but maybe its just the way I did it.
taptap

Post by taptap »

It would be very helpful to have information about the carry-over system in place in the objectives window in each and every scenario, even if it is always 80%. Very nice. Currently in the Checkmate scenario.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

taptap wrote:It would be very helpful to have information about the carry-over system in place in the objectives window in each and every scenario, even if it is always 80%. Very nice. Currently in the Checkmate scenario.
Done. :)
Version 0.6.2 is available on the Add-Ons server

EDIT: The version number is 0.6.2
Last edited by Adamant14 on September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I noticed in Checkmate and later (maybe it happens earlier too) that the naming doesn't work. The "name" which should be the name of the leader isn't given to him but to his side, leading to "Owodd" (or other generic Wesnothian names) being addressed as Lord Stamford, Sir Kramier or whatever. Confusing, but easy to fix.

River ran red had me in trouble despite close to 600 starting gold and normal difficulty. Maybe sitting in the middle isn't the best strategy. Either way I finished it, but not without losing several L3 (champion, marshall, troll warrior) and plenty of other units. Another day would have been hard (you need two turns more on hard afaik). Still my recall list is comfortable I am lacking only marshalls (usually I don't lose them) and the humans (only 1 assassin and 2 rangers). I like the following swamp-scenario to encourage playing with poachers who are elsewhere underpowered compared to elvish archers.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

taptap wrote:I noticed in Checkmate and later (maybe it happens earlier too) that the naming doesn't work. The "name" which should be the name of the leader isn't given to him but to his side, leading to "Owodd" (or other generic Wesnothian names) being addressed as Lord Stamford, Sir Kramier or whatever. Confusing, but easy to fix.
I thought I had fixed that old problem already. :doh:
I guess you play the latest version (0.6.2)?
Anyway, I will look into it.
taptap wrote:River ran red had me in trouble despite close to 600 starting gold and normal difficulty. Maybe sitting in the middle isn't the best strategy. Either way I finished it, but not without losing several L3 (champion, marshall, troll warrior) and plenty of other units. Another day would have been hard (you need two turns more on hard afaik). Still my recall list is comfortable I am lacking only marshalls (usually I don't lose them) and the humans (only 1 assassin and 2 rangers).
Do you mean it is to hard?
Any proposals?

EDIT: The last version is 0.6.2
Last edited by Adamant14 on September 2nd, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Sometimes you make an addition, but it doesn't show that I need an update. Maybe sth. with the version numbers? I have 0.56 acc. to the _info.cfg and 0.5.0 acc. to info.cfg but it never tells me that I have to update the campaign when I am looking for updates. Now I removed the old one and installed the new one and the gold carryover thing produces millions of errors when trying to start the start-of-scenario savegame. The autosave worked however without complication.

When I write sth. is hard and I finish with plenty of losses - but in the first attempt - this is just for information and not a request for nerfing the scenario. Having scenarios where you suffer high level losses is good. (I still have a pretty good recall list multiple L3 of almost each line incl. 3 sylphs.)
Last edited by taptap on September 2nd, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Version 0.6.3 is available on the server

I fixed a game crashing bug in version 0.6.2
Thank you taptap for pointing me.

So please update. :)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Version 0.6.4 is available on the server

Just minor fixes.