A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by Turuk »

I did not forget about this one, just having a lack of as much free time as I did over the holidays. A few more notes, hopefully I can play the next few scenarios later today.

Scenario 2
-of the a keep in the forests
-Check the use of had and have. "In one battle, the orcs used a lure, struck the keep when it was weak, made use of pincer movements, attacked us off-guard, and managed to encircle us by using a feint attack to cover a real one! Never have such...."
-Good map, it works well with the events that happen.
-Might want to change the behavior of the assassins to stop chasing villages? They were not much of a threat, I recruited a few fighters to hold them off and seeing the "threat", they went after the villages first before attacking the units I left to hold them.

Scenario 3
-Great scenario, loved the map and the setup of enemy forces. Not too hard, not too easy, a nice little challenge.
-..."consider their territories do not even extend this far..."
-"...dwarven caverns are known to extend ..."
-"... and we may find a way..."
-One minor nitpick. (Paraphrased) "We found a map! And not the normal crude orcish ones, but one that has accurate geographical detail, and clearly lists with pointed arrows the routes of the orcish invasions into our lands..."
:annoyed:
This bugs me because it becomes one of those, wow, this is incredibly convenient and will certainly aid us in defeating the bad guys since it happens to have all we need.

-Something tells me I beat this a great deal faster than you expected the player to. 32 gold per turn? I finished with 15 turns left. That is a great deal of gold.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Thanks for checking my writing, to be honest I'm quite bad at proofreading myself :oops: I'll fix it tomorrow, along with some other things, since it's getting quite late today.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Scenario 5
-Nice map again, I liked the running battle against the dwarves to get into the caves. (Maybe trigger an event that spawns more of them when you get close to the cave entrance? I managed to kill off most of their forces in the forests/snow near the first non-starting keep, and so the fight to get inside/kill the leaders was easy.)
-"...it would appear to be our only option..."
-Again, another scenario ending with a large amount of gold.

Scenario 6
-Nice little dialogue scenario, but make it so the player retains all of their gold. :annoyed: While I have at my disposal after the last two scenarios close to 750 gold, this one took me down to 580 for no reason. I do not care as that is more than I will ever need, but other players might be a little peeved at losing gold over talking. Unless you spin it as the elves hiring the trolls with gold.

Scenario 7
-Trolls at your disposal supposedly, but just the one troll? Cannot recruit more?
-I am still working on this one. I got past blue, working through green, and then I get to the choke point where green and purple both meet you as you come back into the paved area again... Murdered. Nothing but thunderers doing 18 dmg a hit and little I can do in the way of healing. I have two shydes and all level 3's, but I just got torn apart. I will try a different strategy of using blue's keep to recruit more, but we will see how it goes.

EDIT:
-Ok, went back and replayed, taking out blue took a number of turns longer but made a difference because it took me longer to go south, thus letting purple stagger their troops to get to me, making it less of a bottleneck (still brutal down there).
-Still do not understand why just the one troll, but I loved this map. It's long, frustrating, filled with dwarves, and just fun. Constant battles, not sure what is coming up next, it was great.
-That being said, it was also uh... well... not hard enough. I did not recruit more than one keep full, and I ran with that small group the whole scenario (no losses). I ended up with a staggering amount of gold, and I still had a Champion, Marshal and Avenger I did not recall. 1455 gold at the very end, and I only used a small strike force (see below. Those are all the units that I used for the whole scenario). Not sure if/how you want to fix or change that.
Attachments
Picture 6.png
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.4.0 uploaded. The 20% gold deduction in Narrow Encounter removed. Villages reduced in Surprise Attack, New Mutiny, and Emerging from the Depths (which means less gold :twisted: ). Turns reduced in New Mutiny and On the Marshes. More enemy gold in On the Marshes. Enemy recruits, gold and AI slightly changed in Emerging from the Depths, another event scripted, which should hopefully make it harder. (Though I hate how Dragonguards are apparently usage=fighter, making them indistinguishable from Dwarvish Fighters/Steelclads by the AI.) Objectives edited in For the Checkmate edited to fix an error.
but just the one troll? Cannot recruit more?
Whelps are available to recruit after Narrow Encounter. I changed the text to 'Troll Whelps are now at your disposal' to avoid confusion.

I'll fix more things once I'm back in Australia on Monday :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi, LemonTea
Thanks for helping me before.
I downloaded and played a little bit your campaign, then, I thought what a pretty Quoscelia is.
I like that.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

LemonTea wrote:Whelps are available to recruit after Narrow Encounter. I changed the text to 'Troll Whelps are now at your disposal' to avoid confusion.
I caught that in the next one and noted it, I just have not had time to play the scenario through in order to post up all my notes. They come in quite useful given the enemy that I ran into, so I was ok with not getting them until the elves get outside the caves. My only thought was that since you get the troll as a hero (and a necessary one for the long scenario), it would just make logical sense you would get his fellow trolls. So that is why it was odd to not get them until I was outside. Maybe a line of text saying...

"Me come with you now. They go wake tribe, tribe follow and join us at top!"
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Scenario 7 (On the Marshes)
-Nice to finally have the trolls, though the swamp renders them slow and useless, even with the bridges. :P
-Not a bad fight, undead make for a nice change of pace though my arcane wielding elven ladies mowed them down. Add in the 10-4 and 11-5 ranged damage of the archer line upgrades (Avenger and Sharpshooter)
-The two leaders were nice, but possibly give the northern one more damage potential? At this point, I can field 7 level 3 units, not counting the four level 3 character units. Eleven level 3s versus a handful of Soulless? It was like putting a traffic cone in front of a freight train.

Scenario 8 (Disobedience)
-Change of tense. "...held a quick conference as soon as the swamp is out of noseshot." Try "...held a quick conference as soon as the smell of the swamp was no longer lingering in their nostrils."
-"...humans WERE conspiring something..."
-Findings not finding.
-Orcs working with the Loyalists eh?
-A nice map setup, but each leader by himself is not much of a challenge, so even together it is not too too hard. The higher level units do make the player more cautious (as they can easily surround and kill off a level 3), but the units trickle up so there is little danger of facing a concentrated force of enemy. Maybe trigger their leader recruitment as the player crosses a certain line?
-Naga are a nice touch defending the river, and I like the outline of walls you have on the far bank, but they were too easy to kill off. More naga, perhaps a leader on each side of the bridge? :twisted:

EDIT: Title right, scenario number wrong.
lastjuan

Post by lastjuan »

I just finished with the 'And the River Ran Red' scenario and discarding my past troubles with 'Emerging from the Depths', this is the most challenging so far. A first look to the map, made me to try to defend my original camp... well let's say that I'm not that great player. Fortunately, a more agressive aproach works far much better and the losses of high level units are acceptable... more or less.

Now, I don't have the slightest idea of how I could beat all the enemies on Second Crossing... :wink: :wink: Any tips? (I only have the minimium amount of gold).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Scenario 9 (Stranger in A Strange Land)
-Nice map, I like the change in landscape as you move into human kingdoms.
-Loyalists pack quite a punch, especially with the lvl 3 Cavaliers, and the level 2 troops. As such, I felt that this rendered recruiting any of the footpad/thief/poacher lines relatively useless, as they had to be protected at all times (and the movement points on the enemy units were so great). Maybe let the player recruit a couple level 2s?
-Reinforcements were triggered a bit too late. When the first round came, I was about to kill off the blue leader. I killed him, wiped them out in a turn, and moved on to kill green by the time the next reinforcements showed up.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Turuk wrote:especially with the lvl 3 Cavaliers
hmm... you are on an older version? :P In 0.4.0 the enemies don't get cavalier recruits, not even on hard.
lastjuan wrote:Now, I don't have the slightest idea of how I could beat all the enemies on Second Crossing... Any tips? (I only have the minimium amount of gold).
Yeah, I expected minimum gold after River Ran Red, since it was a survival scenario, and I agree, the enemies get too much gold for a level that follows a survival. I turned down the gold, triggered the merman allies a bit earlier and gave them a few (not much) more fodder.
Turuk wrote:Eleven level 3s versus a handful of Soulless? It was like putting a traffic cone in front of a freight train.
Yeah, I thought about giving it more castle tiles, recruits and gold, but I'll still keep it an easy leader, since I intended that leader to just be annoying, and not actually challenging. Another thing I thought about was random ambush in the swamp, or triggered spawns. I'll put it in later, will soon be packing for a plane flight :(

Anyway I made a quick patch, version 0.4.3 now on server.

- Ambush units in Disobedience set to lvl 2 on normal and hard, still lvl 1 on easy.
- Reinforcements in Stranger no longer arrive at dawn, but the dusk before the dawn.
- Terrain changed in Second Crossing at Auld Lang Syne, more river fords in Second Crossing and more villages in Auld Lang Syne.
- Enemy gold reduced in Second Crossing and Auld Lang Syne, turns increased in Auld Lang Syne.
- Trigger for merman allies changed in Second Crossing.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

LemonTea wrote:hmm... you are on an older version? In 0.4.0 the enemies don't get cavalier recruits, not even on hard.
Really? Ah, I will go back and try it again on the newer version then, but now it might be much too easy, they were really the only thing that made me play defensively. *Starts up the freight train that is his small level 3 army*
LemonTea wrote:Yeah, I thought about giving it more castle tiles, recruits and gold, but I'll still keep it an easy leader, since I intended that leader to just be annoying, and not actually challenging. Another thing I thought about was random ambush in the swamp, or triggered spawns. I'll put it in later, will soon be packing for a plane flight
I like the idea of the triggered spawns or random ambush. Even if they are not high level units, having the player get bogged down in the swamp (horrible pun) would make a world of difference. This scenario became easier because I was able to get most of my units across the swamp to the plains terrain by the castle before I met serious resistance.

Have a good flight.
docrock

Post by docrock »

playing your current version on BfW 1.4.7 with default difficulty, currently at "Emerging from the Depths". i just have to say that this played like a breeze so far. excellent work, a tactical challenge (mostly more than one way to win a scenario) and very well thought out maps. and the Bat-Cave just made me laugh, great joke. keep up the good work, this is an outstanding campaign and may even make it mainline imho.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Scenario 10 (For the Checkmate)
-Not much to say. Nice big map, though it seems a bit easy to win if you play defensively. Wipe out and take over blue's keep, fight the stragglers from green and purple as they get to you, stop here and there to smash an undead.
-Make green more dangerous? Most I had to fear from them was the pierce against my Outriders. All of the mages were dealt with before they could do any damage.
-Make black's keep harder to assault? The line of guards is nice, but they are easily drawn out and defeated, possibly make them not move?

Excellent dialogue at the beginning, this is another instance where it rises above the average it has been so far and is quite compelling.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.4.4 published. On the Marshes now has random ambushes (mainly lvl 1 units, unless on hard).

I wanted to change a bit more before publishing but I couldn't get one of the events to work properly to I cut it until I can fix it. Still working on it. Hopefully another update soon.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.4.8 uploaded. Change log:

- Scenario 'For the Checkmate' has an extra event where silver magi teleport in.
- In the same scenario, the black leader receives free gold as you draw near.
- In scenario 'And the River Ran Red,' the number of turns you need to survive for is reduced.

And the changes that don't affect gameplay:

- The background image (which just the map anyway) for most story parts have been removed.
- When the map is shown with the scenario name, I added the dots and crosses thing that shows your location on the world map.
- The world map is now the Wesnoth 1.5.x version, which contains more place names.
- Added a few generic portraits to some minor characters.