1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Theron

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.6.2

Post by Theron »

Bad Moon Rising 0.6.2 / Wesnoth 1.6a / Mac OS X 10.5.6

I got the same error I reported in my post above.
But now I was able to reproduce:
1. Trigger an offroad ambush in "Ukiah" (world map; after "Rescue"). A save game is attached.
2. The screen flashes.
3. You're asced to save a replay.
4. On loading the next scenario (ambush?) BMR is terminated with this error (see attachment).
Attachments
error related to ambush.jpg
Ukiah_Turn_1B.gz
(38.94 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Argh. I'll update tomorrow, this will be fixed. Thanks.
Theron

Post by Theron »

I have corrupted saves.

I'm attaching Old_Guardian.gz.
But I checked also the older scenario starts: The last one without the offending line* was Camp.gz.

[variables]
="no"
beencp1="yes"
Attachments
corrupted save.jpg
Old_Guardian.gz
(17.82 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeah, I had fumbled some [set_variable] blocks:

Code: Select all

# This is wrong
[set_variable]
variable=whatever
value=no
[/set_variable]
That will contaminate the saves with the line you found. And the 'whatever' variable will not get set. Unfortunately, I did this in multiple files. I'll upload a fixed version tomorrow (Saturday).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

bugfix version 0.6.2.1 just went to the server. Hopefully that does the trick.

I'm not totally sure of the extent to which an old corrupted savefile could malfunction. If you want to try fixing one, remove anything like the line Theron pointed out ( ="no") and set all of the "beencp#" and "beenhere" variables to "no" (for example, beencp1="no"). Everything relevant should be near the top of your savefile, within the [variables] block.
rand

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.6.2.1

Post by rand »

Bad Moon Rising 0.6.2.1 / Wesnoth 1.6a / WinXp

I'm experiencing the same bug as Theron in post 4/10/09 8:37am. I had downloaded the most recent version today hoping it would be fixed.

The bug occurs when heading for the mines after crossing the bridge south of the large fort after having completed the scenario "Royal Rumble".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh. I'll look at it again, but there are two things I can think of now:

1. Is it an old save or a game started using an old save? The variables are going to be messed up and would need to be fixed by hand, unfortunately.

2. A temporary work-around is to open the file "Bad_Moon_Rising/utils/worldmap.cfg"
and change the terrain code in line 150 to something you won't encounter, like "Wo" (deep water)

Code: Select all

first_time_only=no
            [filter]
                id={HERO}
                [filter_location]
                terrain=Re                    <----------- Change "Re" to "Wo"
                [/filter_location]
            [/filter]
            [set_variable]
rand

Post by rand »

Thanks - I used the temporary workaround, not being familiar with the save files. After installing 0.6.2.1 I had restarted in the previous scenario just before the death of Hulric, think that that would work, but no luck.

By the way, in that previous scenario (under 0.6.2) one thing looked to be a bug was that the cavalry arrived in the south, but never moved from starting locations.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think I've seen passive units like that before, but don't remember why that is. I'll try to get that ironed out next time. Thanks.

I did find the offending WML that was causing the game to quit, and I made a few other little changes, so 0.6.3 just went to the server. The troublesome lines did not cause BfW 1.5.14 to quit, only 1.6, so I was a little slower figuring it out.
stillcen

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~20 scenarios) 0.6.3

Post by stillcen »

A very small bug.

The level 1 Dogs have dashed "bases" as if to indicate that the have no zone of control, but they do.

stillcen
Theron

Post by Theron »

Bad Moon Rising 0.6.3 / Wesnoth 1.6.1a / Mac OS X 10.5.6

The scenario "Skirmish" doesn't terminate BMR anymore. But ...

1. There is a complete day-night cycle although it is still summer, isn't it?
2. The enemy leader has 250 gold but doesn't recruit any units. If he isn't supposed to recruit don't give him a keep (or no gold).
3. The gold carryover is broken. I haven't figured out the exact math* but it looks like the 80 gold you get for "Skirmish" aren't subtracted from your gold inventory before adding it back.

* I purposely triggered 4 skirmishes before "Camp".
1) ?
2) 225? gold before "Skirmish" / finished on turn 7/20 with +13 gold having 2/2 villages / 325? gold after "Skirmish"
3) 325? gold before "Skirmish" / finished on turn 7/20 with +10 gold having 1/2 villages / 420 gold after "Skirmish"
4) 420 gold before "Skirmish" / finished on turn 7/20 with +0 gold having 0/2 villages / 509 gold after "Skirmish"

You already get "free" XP from playing "Skirmish". So make it hard to not _loose_ gold.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

stillcen,

Thanks for catching that, it will be fixed.

Theron,

1. Day/night cycle - That should be easy to fix. Next release will have more sensible cycles.
2. Letting the AI recruit seemed to make the little scenarios too predictable, but I can see how leaving it half-way enabled wasn't the way to go. Will fix.
3. Part of the idea behind the skirmish scenarios was to allow the player to take another pass at a real scenario that was troublesome. I know I never liked the idea of having to go back and spend time replaying a few scenarios because I was 100g short or didn't have a paladin or something. But it isn't supposed to make the campaign trivially easy, so I'll change the carryover. Only easy mode will get to keep any gold.

Thanks.
Theron

Post by Theron »

A suggestion to tackle point 2 and 3:

Give the AI gold but no keep. You will get all gold the enemy has left and an early finish bonus. (Do not let the enemy leader recruit in _your_ keep.)

Balancing the difficulty levels may be done by giving the AI e.g.
90 gold on easy,
80 gold on medium and
70 gold on hard.

Example:
200 gold before "Skirmish"
80 gold is used in "Skirmish" (leaving 120 gold in inventory)
"Skirmish" is finished on turn 7/20; you have +10 gold (having recalled 2 loyal units and 2 level 1 = upkeep is 2 gold); the AI has 80 gold left:
80 gold + 10 gold + 13 turns finished early * x gold / turn = 116 gold (if x = 2)
200 - 80 + 116 = 236 gold after "Skirmish"

So you may get extra gold worth 2-3 recruits and/or recalls. On hard you may only get the extra XP.
Jyuukenbu

Post by Jyuukenbu »

I'm on "Escape from the Legion" right now. Is there any way to beat it? With the Goddess of Vengeance and her level 3 units blocking Belleros and my other guys from proceeding further, along with the Phantoms directly blockading the exit, and a whole bunch of enemies behind me, it kinda seems impossible to win.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Jyuukenbu,

It should be possible if you don't stay on the keep to recruit for too many turns. I'll post a replay when I can.