Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Post by Iris »

This current thread is related to development and discussion of IftU 1.10-1.14.x for Wesnoth 1.6 / 1.5 only.

The original thread for the release series that are compatible with Wesnoth 1.4 (which includes discussions of early development releases) is here.

This release series won't work on Wesnoth 1.7.x. See the thread for the 1.7.x-compatible series instead.

Feedback and artwork development threads:

Download instructions:

The latest release is 1.14.4 and it is intended to work with Wesnoth 1.6.x only; some enemy AIs will cause Wesnoth 1.5.11 and earlier to abort with an assertion failure message. Those AIs may not do anything in 1.5.12 as well.

The latest version of this add-on can be obtained directly from the official add-ons server, or from the URLs below: The release notes for the first version of this series follows. For the latest version's release notes, go to the thread's last post and skim from there upwards.
Version 1.10.1a release notes:
Last edited by Iris on November 10th, 2009, 1:43 am, edited 19 times in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TrashMan

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.10.1a) for Wesnoth 1.5-1.6

Post by TrashMan »

Hrm...getting cost and path errors on the first scenario.. Probably a pathing error with Wesnoth.exe
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don' t understand anything of what you said, except that you see error messages and that you are using Windoze.

What are the error messages, and... are you sure it is IftU-specific? You might want to reply with an attached, gzipped stderr.txt....
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
docrock

Post by docrock »

i did it! playing IftU again. ha. no errors so far in the first scenario for me, but Galas' description says he has three advancement paths, captain and hero. well, i can only count two in there. :eng:
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Shadow Master wrote:I don' t understand anything of what you said, except that you see error messages and that you are using Windoze.

What are the error messages, and... are you sure it is IftU-specific? You might want to reply with an attached, gzipped stderr.txt....
You don't have to worry.
It was a pathing error (AI having trouble finding a path to move untis and causing a game crash). Reload a faw turns earlier and moving my units differently solved the problem.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

docrock wrote:i did it! playing IftU again. ha. no errors so far in the first scenario for me, but Galas' description says he has three advancement paths, captain and hero. well, i can only count two in there. :eng:
Fixed in SVN two minutes after the release. It was such a minor issue that I didn't bother to make 1.10.1b. ;)
TrashMan wrote:It was a pathing error (AI having trouble finding a path to move untis and causing a game crash). Reload a faw turns earlier and moving my units differently solved the problem.
Ah, that. It's an engine bug that has been fixed for 1.5.7 (when it is released). And the correct term is path-finding.
docrock

Post by docrock »

now through with "a real confrontation", somehow this was much harder than on the 1.4.x versions i knew. smaller castle (really or just my impression?), less gold, less powerful hunter line. barely made it to beat all leaders, had to sacrifice a crapload of civilians, but i'd guess that's how it's intended.

edit: also through with "memories from the depths", went super-smoothly with lots of xp and lots of gold for the next scenario. all the holy water was where it should be too.
docrock

Post by docrock »

now also finished "across the sands" (which seemed to work flawlessly) and went on to "crossfire" where i had to notice that all those units which had not been fielded in "across the sands" had now stats like they were completely dehydrated. attached a save for convenience.
Attachments
IftU-1-Crossfire-Auto-Save1.gz
(59.18 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Nice campaign. The beginning really gripped me.

Sadly, I'm dissapointed at the further growth of the story with all the aliens and explanations of magic and light and darkness.
Good campaign tough.

I just hope it never becomes 'canon".

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

docrock wrote:now also finished "across the sands" (which seemed to work flawlessly) and went on to "crossfire" where i had to notice that all those units which had not been fielded in "across the sands" had now stats like they were completely dehydrated. attached a save for convenience.
Argh. I thought I had effectively fixed that. Or the engine is playing dirty games on us again.

@TrashMan: meh. (remember my title)
docrock

Post by docrock »

Argh. I thought I had effectively fixed that. Or the engine is playing dirty games on us again.
well, isn't that what playtesting is good for? :D

actually, after having a rather strange recall-list bug in another campaign on 1.5.6 and finally getting to know it was an engine bug i decided to revisit "across the sands" and made a little detour with galas to the castle of the last outlaw leader to check on unit stats of the recall list. guess what: the dehydration effect on units on the recall list is visible already there. also played around with the save-files (both for "across the sands" and "crossfire") and tried to set the dehydration-variables by hand which actually changed nothing. dunno if this helps, but hope so as this is really a showstopper that does not allow to continue playing IftU on 1.5.6 atm. :(
db0

Post by db0 »

Glad to see this working on 1.5.6. This is one of the main campaigns I wished to play and it's a nice opportunity to play the recent version of wesnoth as well.
Fixed in SVN two minutes after the release. It was such a minor issue that I didn't bother to make 1.10.1b. ;)
Ah, I had the same problem and wanted to report it. So the only way to get this fixed is to download the svn version? Will I have to start all over again or will the defenders start working for newer upgrades?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That fix was for a character description.

I'll try to see if I can fix the other bug for tomorrow.

P.S. if anybody can help me with this! ^__^
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge. ... ision=3106

Fixed. You may prefer to wait for the 1.10.2 release in approximately 4 hours though.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

The 'A real confrontation' scenario annoys me.
I think it's really no fun to play allied with a stupid AI. I always hated that type of scenario in campaigns and I never understood the point.

You know, when your ally puts a single elvish fighter to (13,20) on turn 3. I mean an ELF next to forest tiles instead of ON the forest tile. Amazingly stupid.

It's nice to have the AI playing after me (can cover and soak up damage), but he does it very bad.

With some adjustments it would be more enjoyable.

1) Make the AI behave in a predictable way that does make sense. For example, have a plan, and make it follow that.
"I'll hold the eastern forest and send a few fighters/civilians to assist you (maybe put those under the command of Galas for the scenario only)"

2) Make the AI NOT leave the forest at all, I mean avoid non-forest tiles. Period. Don't step into bad terrain, ever. Not even to finish kills. It does make sense story-wise, especially because the enemy is playing suicidal and elves are supposed to be clever enough to notice that and fight with a defensive strategy to minimize losses and damage taken.

3) Actually anything might work, just make sense the elven AI have a simple to follow, but effective strategy that the player KNOWS (so he can plan for that) and that makes sense knowing the enemy AI's 'burn everything and attack with maximum agressiveness' strategy. Maybe start a counterattack on one of the dawns (enable leaving the forest and set agression higher).

You know what? I'll try to do it myself (I dont know much about WML however so it might take me a while).

Another thing that comes to mind: Player is punished way too much for NOT playing the first part of the campaign. Losing the recall list with some really special units, not having enough AMLA's on your actual units. You're supposed to have SOME recall list and at least the loyal units you would normally get.

Not recalling Igor on hard? WTF?! So if you play hard difficulty, you miss some fun? Something really important? That's NOT how it should work, I mean it's a really bad way to punish someone for higher difficulty.