Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

palloco

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.11.1.1) for Wesnoth 1.6 RC1+

Post by palloco »

Shadow_Master wrote:
The matrix cores are rather annoying. Some early game text suggests that killing them stops the Saxthal from spawning, ...
I don't remember having put that in any dialogue, but there is some WML that was supposed to be a hidden feature that was afterwards broken. I never got around to fix it, so there is no matrix core disabling respawn points anywhere in the campaign AFAICT nowadays.
In the scenario 20 you have this dialogue:
[event]
{SIGHTED_SUF_BY_PLAYER (type=Verlissh Matrix Core)}
{MSG_UNIT (Mal Keshar) ( _ "What in name of goodness is that thing?")}
{MSG_UNIT Erathan ( _ "Look out! It seems to be a matrix filled with larvae of those abominations. Perhaps if we can destroy it they will not pursue us any longer.")}
{MSG_UNIT (Mal Keshar) ( _ "Sounds like a plan, a good one. Let's smash it then.")}
[/event]

I think that this campaign is excellent. It has a very good storyline. The difficult however is odd, the first 2 scenarios are very hard, and with a few exceptions the rest tend to be easy (I play on hard, and started the second part from scratch rather than carry on from the first one, to make it harder).
And now I am wondering if it's possible to defeat the Shadow Master. You need at least 4 turns to kill him, but whenever he attacks he fully restores its health. And since Mal Keshar and Elynia do not defend with the Union, defeating him is an unlikely event.
SouthernOracle

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6

Post by SouthernOracle »

Before I go much further than Crossfire in English revisions, are the loyalists of your time period capitalized? I have come across it both ways in the text. I believed it was addressed somewhere else in these forums, but when referring to a race or group of people the word should be capitalized. I just want clarification to see if you're not referring to them as "natives" or whatever other lower-cased collective terms are out there.

Perhaps someone involved can answer, as Shadow_Master comes 'round once a week..
Mas

Post by Mas »

I just downloaded Wesnoth again after a long while and I saw that there's a new part of this campaign. I found an old version on my hard disk with a savegame of IftU (version 0.6.73 apparently) from december 2007.
I'd killed Elyssa and gotten to the lair of the Shadow Master, but then it crashes and says map not found. Can anyone tell me what happens after this, so I can start with the next part?
kele

little technical problems

Post by kele »

I am translating the campaign. Now I almost ended it and try to play with the newest version. The newest POT-file made on 08 March. There is no translatable string for the objective title, I mean the 'Invasion from the Unknown' is the title, even if I play with my translated strings. Importance is very low, maybe an underscore is missing before the title.
Another question: There are units, which are in Extended Era too (in POT-file). Some description is the same in the both POT, but there are some description which not. I have Extended Era 1.4.7 POT. Is there newer version of it, and I didn't found it :oops: ?
Will they be synchronize (units' descriptions )?
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Shadow_Master what's your verdict on the two .txt files I posted?
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Those are almost silly things but are interesting to show...

Both are save-games af my first and only one time playing this campaign(still finishing).

The first is the surprise i got when i saw a goblin with the atributes of silly and inteligent(i know that on means of the game it only creates a standart goblin but looks like a nosense to me)

The other is about two drone runners which get the atribute of resilent but don't gets the bonus HP, but yes the limit(you'll see)

Both are in spanish but supose you have no problem with it.

I played on 1.6 I looked at the changelog and nothing about it.
IftU-1-La_biblioteca ... Goblin.gz
(100.9 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
IftU-1-Arrival_of_the_Battalion_Turno_3.gz
(142.48 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Theo

Post by Theo »

Quick question, how do I make the Chaos commander appear in The Gauntlet again? I only managed to get her once and it caught me completely by surprise.

One minute I was healing my troops, shifting Malin Keshar around, and then BAM! she appears in the middle of the Keep, the one at the south edge of the map, on turn 18. All three of my heroes are now inside of the Keep and no matter how long I wait, the commander doesn't show up again.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SouthernOracle wrote:Shadow_Master what's your verdict on the two .txt files I posted?
The first file you posted at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 74#p348374 is a plain text file. The second one isn't. Nonetheless, the first file suffers from encoding issues - it should be UTF-8 or Lédinor and Anlindë's names will get "corrupted". ;)

Eh... and I haven't had time to review or fix anything lately. Sorry, Real Life™'s getting in the way. I'll get back to it... soon... later... I don't know. But I don't think you can make IftU's prose any worse, anyway, so go ahead.
Theo wrote:Quick question, how do I make the Chaos commander appear in The Gauntlet again? I only managed to get her once and it caught me completely by surprise.
You must kill all units of side 2 (blue). Counter-intuitive, I know. Must fix. :|
Darkmage wrote:Those are almost silly things but are interesting to show...
/me puts it in the queue.
kele wrote:There is no translatable string for the objective title, I mean the 'Invasion from the Unknown' is the title, even if I play with my translated strings. Importance is very low, maybe an underscore is missing before the title.
None of those.

It's an engine bug. I'll check it out.
kele wrote:Another question: There are units, which are in Extended Era too (in POT-file). Some description is the same in the both POT, but there are some description which not. I have Extended Era 1.4.7 POT. Is there newer version of it, and I didn't found it :oops: ?
I don't think so.
kele wrote:Will they be synchronize (units' descriptions )?
Probably not. The EE (NOT BEEM) maintainers never showed any solid interest in syncing artwork, WML or text with IftU.
SouthernOracle wrote:Before I go much further than Crossfire in English revisions, are the loyalists of your time period capitalized?
It was my mistake. In general, it shouldn't be capitalized.
Theron wrote:Scenario 4:
Glitches with terrain transition road/sand (see attachment).
Mainline bug. I'll let zookeeper know of it, though most likely I'll end up being forced to rearrange those tiles in the map.
Theron wrote:Fire Faerie has black background (see attachment).
Noted.
Theron wrote:Murlin: "Blast is, the Loyalists! [...]" (should be "loyalists")
Fixed in SVN. Thanks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Thanks for mentioning the encoding used for the file - that pointed me in the right direction. TextEdit should be able to handle this now. Soon I'll re-post the same file using this method, then continue when you give the "all clear". The main reason I'm doing this is because it's one of the most in depth stories for Wesnoth IMO - very clever script, very clever maps, great art, etc. The only thing was the text, which is a little rough reading from a grammar/structure standpoint; but it doesn't detract from the overall experience. I just wanted to help polish it up on its way to a smooth mainline presentation. :geek:
kele

Post by kele »

Another bugs(maybe):
There is a dehydration effect. It is working an other way that was in Utbs (Under the burning suns). I "escaped" from the desert to the southwest oazis (Over the sands scenario). I taught dehydration is not affected to my unit, but affected! (He/she was on the road, in the forest not affected). In Utbs all units are affected either are standing by a healer unit, or not. The units refreshed in water tile, in IftU not, as I remember. (Utbs was played only 1.4.7 by me, sorry if the philosophy has changed, I didn't find trace - not exactly tested things) I think the effects may be the same. There is little disturbance if are not.

There is a balancing "bug": In Errand of hope scenario I can get Nov+15 gold (Nov: Number of villages captured by player). Generally the game philosophy is: you can get Nov+2 gold. Or this is an action related to title (Errand of hope... :wink: - with much gold you can easy absolve the campaign)

I found a little error in the Pot-file, maybe corrected yet, this is the description of tiger. Is not available in a gettext editor. (have description, but the form is not correct for gettext)

Another notice with animation/framing: this is not campaign bug, maybe not a bug, during a battle the icons are lost in some cases and not only some units, but campfire too. During the battle the whole map is redrawn? Maybe frame-times are not adekvat, are not synchronous...
These are my ideas about it, maybe the problem is in other component.

These are not too important problems (much gold is very big help :) ).
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

When I play "memoirs from the depths", when I kill Mal Keshar with Anlinde, Wesnoth crashes!
technical data: wesnoth 1.6a on Ubuntu 9.04 RC.

EDIT:
save attached.
Attachments
IftU-1-Memories_from_the_D..._Turn_36.gz
(66.88 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Last edited by sur.nhm on May 3rd, 2009, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Alright... These should be up to speed now. These have been newly corrected after reviewing how the ellipses (...) work in the files. The correct way should be e.g. "I am hungry . . . but I don't have the strength to eat." This works fine for books. However, if this was to be inputted into the game I believe the text would behave like this if near the edge of the screen --

"I am hungry . .
. but I don't have the strength to eat."

Therefore I have left them somewhat unchanged. Any criticisms let me know.
Attachments
'Border Patrol' revisions.txt
(991 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times
'Real Confrontation' revisions.txt
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
aZu

Post by aZu »

Hi, I really like this campaign and I hope you make a continuation. It looked great in the new 1.6.1, until some units icons disappeared. For some of the "extended era" recruits (i.e. sprites + advancements, elvish hunters + advancements, warrior spirit + advancements, etc.), i get a blank icon. It worked fine in the first few scenarios, but all the sudden now i am getting a unit with no icon. The unit itself is normal, there's just no icon. Also, mainlin units (ghosts, elvish archers, etc.) look completely normal. I attached a save file here. Anyone think they can help me out?

aZu
Attachments
IftU-1-The_Source_of_Light-Auto-Save5.gz
(109.03 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

aZu wrote:Anyone think they can help me out?
Here, someone else reported the same issue and got some help from Mist. The other solution will be upgrading Wesnoth to 1.6.2 when it is released - hopefully that will be soon, we don't know. ;)

Everyone's having the same problems even with mainline campaigns in 1.6.1.

Kele: the dehydration algorithm used in IftU is based on the one used in UtBS since around Wesnoth 1.5.7. And your bugs with "icons" (sprites) is the same noted above.
SouthernOracle wrote:Any criticisms let me know.
Merged the changes in SVN.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
aZu

Post by aZu »

Thanks for the help. I am not too good with code and don't want to mess around with the type as Mist suggested. I'll just wait for the new version of Wesnoth.