Intentionally silly campaign: Shameless Crossover Excuse

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Orcish Shyde

Re: Intentionally silly campaign: Shameless Crossover Excuse

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Version 0.1.4 or whatever is now on the server!

Changes:
- Gwiti is now a Deathmaster, with portrait to match, and all my DA line recolors for sprites
- Ro'Sothian now has the Demilich portrait like in Northern Rebirth
- All enemies in "Saving Asheviere" given more gold (except Konrad, who had plenty to begin with)
- Turn limit of "Saving Asheviere" reduced to 50. You'll need 20 of them at most, and it's not a real levelling opportunity, but 90 was still ridiculous
- Asheviere now starts with all villages
- AI-controlled General allied to Gwiti & Asheviere occupies bottom right keep
- Name of next scenario changed as my ideas for the campaign change a little. Next scenario doesn't actually exist yet but hey.

Still to do:
- Give Kalenz his HTTT portrait (although for a while I actually forgot the default High Lord one wasn't him)
- Get lots of other people to playtest because I don't want to devote my life to this campaign for any length of time :P
- More scenarios
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

All this time and not a single person has whined about my poor design yet? :P

Anyway, 0.1.5 is out, which adds scenario 3, "Through Space and Time". I probably ought to go back and use a smaller map for this one, but right now I'm too lazy (and I'd need to rebalance things, but I'm leaving balance issues until I have a whole campaign to mess with from beginning to logical end). I did, however, use fog for this one, and don't plan to remove it.
Necromancer (campaign)

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I will be glad to give it a whirl later and let you know what I think of it.

But this is more to let you know that as I am now back from holiday, I added your campaign to the list of UMC Campaigns, so hopefully even more people will notice it.

Keep up the good effort. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

OK, version 0.1.6 is up! Maybe I should be being more confident with my version numbers but hey.

Changes:
- Tweaked scenario 3 so it conforms to the "20% plus next level's minimum" model of gold carryover.
- Added scenario 4, where you finally meet Kapou'e, and Erlornas from AOI for good measure.
- Kalenz now has the right portrait

Advertising to keep you interested:

The next scenario, "The Volk Family Reunion", promises to have Gwiti Ha'atel finally do battle with Darken Volk!... and the wealthy Swagen Volk, and the reclusive mage Cherry Volk. Go figure.
Necromancer (campaign)

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

...Which server is it on? 1.4? Because, that last scenario description has me sold, but I can't seem to find it ;)
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

The campaign is on the 1.4 server. The reason you can't find the Darken Volk scenario is because I haven't done it yet - it's advertising to keep people int'res'ted!
Necromancer (campaign)

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I meant I couldn't find the campaign, at all--Which was why I assumed it was on the 1.4 server. I guess I'll have to get that copy of 1.4 I downloaded running... Meaning that I'll have three different versions of Wesnoth running at the same time ;)
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

So, you have 1.5 and what else? An ancient version?
Necromancer (campaign)

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

1.5.3, 1.5.6, and 1.4 (Not currently running).
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Version 0.2.0 is out, complete with scenario 5, where you fight Darken Volk!
Sadly, saves during it will not work unless you start from "Saving Asheviere" as I only now retroactively stuck in the code to clear her recalls from the game.

Of course, you're already expecting Darken, Swagen and Cherry to be at the reunion. There awaits another surprise... *ominous laughter*
Necromancer (campaign)

Jequ

Post by Jequ »

I have some good, bad and awful ideas for this campaign. You might have planned to add these things but I'll say them anyways:
  • Add some insane bottlenecks (which is f ex the only way to a distant village) to the maps what have been made by bad map maker
  • Make a map where you and your enemy can create units like in debug... ok ok... insane idea but maybe worth doing. Enemy's debuging can be made with randomised events and player's with [set_menu_item]... Maybe I should have some restrictions...
  • An event which triggers when an unit (with at least 3 strikes? How to code?) didn't hit at all in battle. Unlucku unit could say something like: "I will make a rant topic about luck to Wesnoth forums!"
  • A scenario with bad scenario planning: basically it has lots of "landmines" and "tomato surprises". Read esr's guide ;)
  • Uh... a wierd idea but main character fighting against himself? Must be a bug or something...
That's all I have in mind :P This is a great campaign!
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

While badly designed scenarios would initially be funny, I have a bad feeling that the fact that you then have to play through a badly designed scenario would quickly kill the funny... And they'd only be funny once, anyway :hmm:

I like the debug unit-creation idea and the Gwiti fighting himself (What! Who is this person! He's using my portrait too! ...Actually, he looks really familiar...).
Rant topic idea is another good one--Of course, this is all up to Orcish Shyde.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Skizzaltix wrote:While badly designed scenarios would initially be funny, I have a bad feeling that the fact that you then have to play through a badly designed scenario would quickly kill the funny... And they'd only be funny once, anyway :hmm:
Maybe the bad design only influences your ally? It can be a good scenario idea if properly made... and those "landmines" don't need to affect the game too much, of course :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Jequ wrote:Maybe the bad design only influences your ally? It can be a good scenario idea if properly made... and those "landmines" don't need to affect the game too much, of course
Skizzaltix raises a very good point, playing through a poorly designed scenario will only cause frustration and headache, but I think you hit on a sort of solution if Orcish Shyde decides to include this in his campaign at all.

You could have a landmine/surprise such as the enemy getting unexpected large group of reinforcements to the north, and have them rush towards the player only to have the player receive reinforcements a turn later that bump into the already oncoming reinforcements.

While that is a somewhat simple example, you can get the idea of what I am going for, which is to use landmines as long as they are done in pairs that cancel each other out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Although i found this camapaign funny, at the Ashievre scenario i thought that was well over done. Also then there was a massive forest then desert map. I got board and quit, it was funny yes but as noted before funny last for a few seconds, trapsing over a map like that is awful. Maybe half way across Gwiti says screw this and tellports everyon to the enemy keep?