The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taemyr

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by taemyr »

In Lisaundras stand, when Valiant kills a drake I get;
Unknown unit type 'EOM_Fire Wisp'
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Ah, that's easy to fix and something that I'd miss, thx. I'll fix that and have the bugfree version up in a couple minutes.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
magicsowon

13 is the last level completed?

Post by magicsowon »

or am I getting an error? "unknown scenario Wotd_fourteen"
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That isn't an Error, you've finished all of the campaign that has been released. I'm working on finishing the campaign. Feedback on what is done so far (especialy scenarios 10-13) would be appreciated.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I've been replaying the scenarios and I'm currently on Lisuandra's stand. I know you want comments on the new scenarios but I thought I'd post what I've seen so far before I went on.

Scenario 1 is good as usual, I like how hard this campaign is and this scenario throws you straight into it, wasn't as hard as last time since I already knew what to do but it was good.

Scenario 2 was a lot easier, though I'm not sure if you changed it, you do come in with a fair bit of gold though so it was never going to be too much of a problem. I might suggest upping the gold for the swordsman so he stands a chance of surviving for the reinforcements.

Scenario 3 was probably the most noticeable change from last time. On my first playthrough I needed about 5 tries to figure out how to keep Hawken alive and win, obviously I could just follow that strategy this time but even still it was much easier than before. I think it has to do with the changes to the devling faction, there just isn't as many troops as there used to be and the difference in power isn't too great either, certainly they are just as easily killed as before.

The Way Under was a lot of fun and again I lost a lvl 3 to the Hydra despite my best luring efforts. However I did manage to assassinate the devling leader which I didn't think of last time. Flyers + shards + teleporters make it rather easy to do once you've weathered the first wave. The lack of troops doesn't change the Hydra situation but it does make the scenario trivially easy once the hydra's dealt with, I had to delay winning long enough to get the spear and elementals. The best way to stop this is to take away the house just on the edge of the river. While Shards + Reavers et al can do damage I don't think this would work without the heavy hitters of the Heralds+Envoys, making it harder to get them across should solve this problem, presuming you want it solved.

I said at the start that I'm on Lisuandras stand but I have actually played a bit of it. After noticing the gold levels I decided to try kill the Dragon, since it didn't look to hard. I wasn't. I didn't have to pay much attention, just recall my army and march it towards his keep. I remember last time the dragon had ridiculuos gold levels which he should be returned. Either that or give him some sort of super body-guards surrounding his keep. Obviously you're not supposed to use the windsong units, so I'll playing through with lvl 1s now, which will be a lot harder with the constant plague on. Even still I come into the scenario with almost 1500 gold, it might be possible to kill him with the celestials.

This is one of my favourite campaigns, mostly because of its difficulty level, I can't wait to see the new scenarios, especially if they include more invisible drake battles.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

I really like how this campaign is going, but I have to point out a glitch in scenario 9.

In the scenario file, you have the map name as Takeing_to_sea.map, when the actual map name is Takeing_to_Sea.map (capitalize sea)

This would prevent scenario 9 from starting but the simple fix with capitalization fixed that.

Great job with such an epic campaign, you really make use of the Era of Myths. :D
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Black Sword: if you're coming into this scenario with 1500+ gold then there is something wrong. The hydra should not provide any bonus gold and the villages arn't worth any either. You should come into the scenario with 200 gold which should not be enough to defeat the dragon with.

Evil Earl: Thanks I'll fix that when I get home.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I just checked to make sure I had the latest version, debugged through the scenario and I got the gold bonus. Additionally, 200 gold might still be enough, that's 10 units + valiant and lisaundra, all you have to do is go straight at the dragon, very few units from either of the other 2 get involved. And Arbiters/Savants will kill him.

Anyway, I've now played on through the next 2 scenarios;
Fleeing the Dragon was a lot easier than before but once again I already knew how to win it, there didn't seem to be quite as many warg as last time though.
The Hector scenario however was very difficult, mainly because he keeps suiciding himself. Eventually I tried abandoning the left side and throwing everything at the drakes to push them away from Hector, this worked but I'm only coming out of the scenario with 300 gold, which I'm not sure will be enough for the next scenario.

Once again, really nice campaign. :)
solmyrian

Post by solmyrian »

Quick question.

Can you proceed with the campaign if you survive Lisaundra's Last Stand currently?Or must she still die?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

She must die.
solmyrian

Post by solmyrian »

Thx for the prompt reply!

I just wanna tell you its a great campaign!The many artefacts in game makes it really interesting.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Alright I released the quick bug fix that should fix the problem with scenario 9 not working because of capitalization.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

It occurred to me when I was downloading the bugfix version that even though the difference was only 1 capitalization, I still had to dowload the whole17.7 megabytes of the campaign.

I have to give it to you, the maps you make just seem to fit the Era of Myths feel (or yours are so good that they became a precedent for future maps using that era.)
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Actually you could have fixed your version as soon as you discovered the bug, then you wouldn't have to download the bug fix.

I'm glad you feel my maps are thematic.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've released a new version to fix some problems with the temple of the deep specifically to make it so that the hidden magic item actually does what it's supposed to, and so that the maps match up in the way they are supposed to. I also made minor balancing changes to the two scenarios preceding it.