campaign stub: Campaign-How-To (A Simple Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: A Simple Campaign, version 0.1.0

Post by Turuk »

Just checking. And you are running 1.4.6 correct?

Hopefully someone else can post ideas to help you, sorry I cannot be of more service but I'm stumped.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

Turuk wrote:Just checking. And you are running 1.4.6 correct?

Hopefully someone else can post ideas to help you, sorry I cannot be of more service but I'm stumped.
Me too. Thanks anyway.
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

Oh, ack. sorry I haven't been on in a while (real life issues are gonna have me mostly tied up until mid January).

To clear a few things up, I did design ASC to be able to run right out of the box. It has the (hopefully) correct directory structure, a main, and a first scenario. So, if Bill did place it in the correct directory, then ideally, it should appear in his campaign menu.

Unfortunately, I don't have a mac handy, so I can't test the installation on that OS. Here's what I'd do, though:
1) Remove ASC from the campaigns folder, and anywhere else you may have put it. Also, close any running instances of BfW.
2) Download a campaign from the add-on server (sceptre of life, for example)
3) Find that campaign, wherever it is in your wesnoth directory structure
4) unzip ASC into the same directory
5) run wesnoth again. If the downloaded campaign appears in the list and ASC still doesn't, then it's most likely a problem with ASC. If that's the case, let me know and I'll try to figure out where it's going wrong.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For what it's worth OSJ, I run a Mac OS, and I have not had a problem with your campaign appearing in the list.

It even ran the first scenario, where I was able to play as "His Awesomeness." I like the choice of names. Back to point, it might just be a problem with where the directory is being placed.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
opensourcejunkie

mm, gotcha, tx
--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

Success! The sad part is I have no idea why it's working now, but wasn't before. In the end I had to remove every trace at BfW from my computer and start from scratch.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've updated ASC to 1.7 and inserted many comments to explain various wml commands which had taken me long to understand. This is a one-time-only work since the wml was outdated (1.4) and OSJ can continue with it when he's finished with his novel. It's also properly wmllint'ed and wmlscope'd. Tested with 1.7.10.
I've also updated the according building campaigns tutorial a bit to match 1.7.

EDIT
No one-time-only...changed to a new version. It has also been reported to work now.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
opensourcejunkie

wow, thanks for updating!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Made a new version in order to recruit more wenoth coders, ahem, make life easier for beginners. Included the custom unit from xer's campaign skeleton. Also on the server.

edit: The server version is now more up to date.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Uploaded new version to the 1.9 addons server. I'm no longer doing anything with the 1.8 version due to the effort needed. I'm also practically not maintaining the related wiki entry, everything needed is in the add-on itself, it's much easier this way imo.
I've included some custom terrain to show how to do such a thing code-wise, since it requires to understand how the wesnoth preprocessor inclusion and binary data references work. Also because mainline examples are partly being removed (which is bad in this aspect).

This amazing addon is actually developed by me monitoring the wml workshop and considering adding answers to beginner questions every now and then. :P
projects (BfW 1.12):
Wild-Heart

Post by Wild-Heart »

Heya, I was toying around with having the Campaign load a completely different scenario, and I got a"Unknown Scenario" Error. So if anyone know how to fix that Error, i'd like to know, thanks!

EDIT: And a new error!

"Error loading game configuration files: 'Missing closing tag for tag campaign at campaigns/A_Simple_Campaign/_main.cfg:16 included from_main.cfg:11, value " at_main.cfg:74' (The game will now exit)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I know the campaign tag is in there, so it is probably another error that you can locate within the stderr.txt file.

I don't think Anonymissus is maintaining the 1.8 version of the campaign anymore.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Wild-Heart

Post by Wild-Heart »

bigkahuna wrote:I know the campaign tag is in there, so it is probably another error that you can locate within the stderr.txt file.

I don't think Anonymissus is maintaining the 1.8 version of the campaign anymore.
So, what should I do?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

You should not hijack this thread for your own wml problems but instead ask in the wml workshop and then getting told to use the "How to easily debug wml" - thread technique to find your problem...
projects (BfW 1.12):
Wild-Heart

Post by Wild-Heart »

Ah, sorry, won't happen again.