Wesnoth pre-history

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daravel

Wesnoth pre-history

Post by Daravel »

I'm not sure if this is the right place of this post, however...

I would quite like to write something pertaining to Wesnoth, a campaign would be ideal but just something to add into the archives would be fun. My idea was to go back to the very early days of Wesnoth when Elves were still young and dwarves only just arrived and explore how each of the two factions became who they were.

My real question(s) for the moment are how likely is it that if I were to write a detailed story covering some years of Wesnoth history that as far as I can see have as yet to be documented, that it could then be included as genuine Wesnoth history, and if someone else (for I have not the knowledge or skill) were to make campaigns of them, would they become mainline?

I'd probably write the stories anyway but it would be nice to have it included as official backstory.

For the elves I was thinking of centering it around aethenwood and a time of internal strife, with you following the leader of one faction, also exploring the alliance with woses and how the elves became magical and their devotion to nature. I'd also incorporate the dwarves coming and their initial conflict.

For the dwarves I was thinking of their 'birth' underground and the initial struggles to form some kind of society and to rid the underground of the monsters already there and their first contact with the outside.

Forgive me for anything major overlooked, I haven't done anything like this before and am unsure how it would all work, thanks =]
Jozrael

Re: Wesnoth pre-history

Post by Jozrael »

While some devs prefer the less hardcoded history the better (thus the more that can be interpreted for campaigns), I think it'd be an excellent idea to get more hard history (mainlined) in wesnoth. I think there's a team of devs that works on the official history of wesnoth...anyone know who they are?
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

That was going to be my next question, if there was a posibility of going into the mainline, then who do I talk to?
I wouldn't want to treading on any toes.

As for not having anything 'solid' for the history to allow freedom for campaigns... I wasn't intending on creating any empires or particular heroes. My intention was to look at what made the two races who they are today in a short-ish story.

If it comes to it, I'll write for my own enjoyment. Is there an unofficial collection of fan fiction?
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

As far as I can tell, anything not collaborated by events or stories in a mainline campaign can more or less be reinterpreted.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Yep, thats what I have been told earlier on the irc channel. Instead it was suggested that I look at maybe working on existing dialogue in the mainline campaigns and maybe including more history in there.

I will perhaps look into campaign design to realise this particular idea.
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

well if its gonna affect wesnoth as a whole your gonna have to do some mighty
fine writing to get it included as part of the real history of wesnoth. you have to convince
more than one person thats it blends smoothly into the game...
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

sid6.7 wrote:well if its gonna affect wesnoth as a whole your gonna have to do some mighty
fine writing to get it included as part of the real history of wesnoth. you have to convince
more than one person thats it blends smoothly into the game...
I'd disagree, in a way. Only because most of the history is recorded either through simple dialog in campaigns or in the short story boards before a scenario. Or in the timelined history. This, as far as I know would be the only prose based history. However, I would agree you would have to have a certain quality to your writing.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I love writing so if you want any help in writing the story and just another person to bring some fresh ideas in for some differnet types of scenarios so it doesn't end up all the same, i'd love to help.

However, it will be very hard to get it as 'proper' Wesnoth history and as logn as the devs don't mind i think you should go along with it!
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I haven't actually fleshed out many ideas as yet, because it was suggested that I attempt re-writing some existing campaign dialogue. Plus I wasn't specficaly going to design scenarios because I myself can't make a campaign. Although I will probably write something for my own enjoyment at a later date.

Will mostly likely concentrate on this dialogue business, provided my style is the right one. Just waiting on feedback in another post.

Working together on some stories/scenarios could be fun, except I'm due to go back to uni soon and im a notoriously slow worker anyway.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Daravel wrote:I haven't actually fleshed out many ideas as yet, because it was suggested that I attempt re-writing some existing campaign dialogue. Plus I wasn't specficaly going to design scenarios because I myself can't make a campaign. Although I will probably write something for my own enjoyment at a later date.

Will mostly likely concentrate on this dialogue business, provided my style is the right one. Just waiting on feedback in another post.

Working together on some stories/scenarios could be fun, except I'm due to go back to uni soon and im a notoriously slow worker anyway.
I'm at school as well so work is on a when i get spare time. However, if you want to make a campaign i could help you if you want. If your intrested probobly best to pm (if you want any help) when you have thought about it a bit more.