Dead Water 1.0 for BfW 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.16)

Post by beetlenaut »

Formidable! Merci.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Hey I dont know if you're still around beetlenut

Unfortuantely I'm having a problem playing...

I've played through it before and this was my second time through, I'm on the "revenge" scenario (I forget if that is the last one) everything was working dandy. I opened some of the config files yesterday to look for where to find the loyal bat, but as far as I know I didnt change anything at all.

Now I have a problem when I try to load my game, it gave me one long error about unexpected text the first time, it gives me an error "unknown unit type 'Merman Brawler'" and refuses to load.

Any ideas why or how I can fix this?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

lostnumber wrote:Hey I dont know if you're still around beetlenut

Unfortuantely I'm having a problem playing...

I've played through it before and this was my second time through, I'm on the "revenge" scenario (I forget if that is the last one) everything was working dandy. I opened some of the config files yesterday to look for where to find the loyal bat, but as far as I know I didnt change anything at all.

Now I have a problem when I try to load my game, it gave me one long error about unexpected text the first time, it gives me an error "unknown unit type 'Merman Brawler'" and refuses to load.

Any ideas why or how I can fix this?
Re-downloading Dead Water will probably fix the problem. Or make sure the [unit] tag on scenario 12 inside of the start [event]. It has to be:
Spoiler:
Edit: In addition, there has to be Brawler.cfg in the unit folder.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm still around, but not all the time.

It worked fine for me, so please re-download the campaign like SkyOne suggested. If you still have problems, post the whole error message, and I'll see what I can figure out.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water: Now for 1.7/1.8

Post by beetlenaut »

I've ported Dead Water to Battle for Wesnoth 1.8. It looks nicer with all the new merfolk portraits. I also cleaned up the code a bit, and gave the AI some more money on several scenarios that seemed a bit too easy on "hard". I played the whole campaign though today (my mouse fingers hurt), and didn't find any bugs, but that doesn't guarantee that there aren't any. Let me know here if you find one.

Use 1.8-beta2 or later. There is a bug in earlier versions that causes worse problems in this campaign than in most.

Any feedback besides bugs should go in the add-on feedback forum. Thanks!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
morningstar

Post by morningstar »

Great campaign ! Thanks. Just finished it on the hardest level. Found the first scenario was the most difficult. After that, you have to use massively the stupidness of AI. The entire campaign is tough. Great. Even the last scenario isn't that easy (I had a bit more than 600 gold, all from the previous scenario, 4 priestress, 3 enchantress, and about 2 of each other level 3. I basically waited in my corner for the ennemy and got only out of it when he was half dead.
I managed not to loose any of my stronger units after a few scenarios, even if that's not what you planned :D But that's my way of playing. I thought the brawlers weren't that useful in the end.

Thanks for the fun; The campaign hax it's place in mainline I believe.
Max

Post by Max »

would you mind posting a replay of first scenario - i wasn't able to beat it on hard, not even got close^^
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Here is my replay, though not on hard. Basically, the fighters are only really good against zombies, while the Hunters are good against bats with their ranged, and should be leveled to Net Casters ASAP to be useful against skellies as well.. Meanwhile, use Mermaids and (spam) Citizens on skellies, and give the king some killing blows when possible. Also, send some of the spare citizens to grab villages, and pester the bats until the Hunters finish them off. The more villages you grab and hold, the fewer free zombies the bad guy gets, and the less he can recruit.
Replay
I will now resume lurking silently.
Max

Post by Max »

thanks - but the download link doesn't work...

i've never had a problem with the first scenario on 1.6. i've tried it twice in 1.7 (playing on hard) and i got lots of bats and wcs. mermaid initiates and my priestess can take care of the bats, but i've got no idea what to do with all the wcs. they've got excellent defense in water (same as mermaids) and the first wave arrives during the night. retreat during this isn't really an option.

i guess i'll have to play it on easy...

btw: congratulations on getting this campaign mainlined^^
morningstar

Post by morningstar »

How do I send a replay ? I don't know :oops:

The idea is to lure the bats as soon as you can. I have about 4 bats. As soon as possible I put a unit to lure them. The first 3 are killed before the other ennemy units are in range. Bats won't look for villages if they can attack. So for instance, at a point I have a citizen on a village in the south swamps. A bat comes in range : he flies west, leaving the village to the bat, and another unit, lures the bat north near my army. Each time the bat will suicide in an attack there. Once the bats are dead, it becomes a bit easier. You fight the first wave of corpses in an ideal position on the squares with 70% defense. Once you won that first shock, he will retreat and you just lure his units a few at a time to kill them. I believe you need a bit of luck for the first wave of corpses and another bit because you absolutely need to level up your king. So at the and, try to get the game going : let his leader recruit one unit / round that you kill before it does anything. You need luck because his leader might suicide in attacking one of your units (I weaken his leader at the end to make sur he doesn't attack me, but sometimes he does). If he does, you might start the following scenario with too little leveled up units.
I started the second scenario with my king level one (he just took a village north, then the 2 in north west and then waited near the NW corner for the good moment to end the scenario. Meanwhile, The 3 ondins from the first scenario + the 3 hunters + 3 ondins + 3 citizens went to attack SW : leveled up one hunter and several ondins.

Good luck !
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

My replay link is fixed, now.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Valyn

Post by Valyn »

Just downloaded 0.9.19 and it froze up my game on opening. You are missing a close tag after the description of the campaign in _main.cfg

Spoiler:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I must have been fixing it as you were downloading it. It's correct now.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Valyn

Post by Valyn »

I went in and fixed it myself, was just annoying that it didn't let me open wesnoth.
drwilly

Post by drwilly »

So I just finished the campaign, and since I really enjoyed it, here's my feedback:
Spoiler: