Dead Water 1.0 for BfW 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.4)

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm finally fixing the ugly sprites for Kai Krellis, the merman king! I haven't gotten to the level three animations yet, so the level two and three units still share graphics. I have a base frame for the level three, so it shouldn't be too long before that one is done as well. However, I'm uploading these now because it takes me a long time to do sprites, and animating the level three one is going to be hard. (I did steal some fins from Jetryl, but I think I've gotten better too.)
new kings2.png
new kings2.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
cobra

Post by cobra »

Very cool! Keep up the good work! :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The only minor critiques that I would offer is that for the new level 2, the armor looks a bit like, well..... a bib. As for the level 3, it looks good, but it doesn't seem to really be sitting on his body, but just above his scales? If that makes sense, like the body and armor are very distinctively apart.

Other than that, keep up the good work. Your campaign is a blast to play, I've played a lot of UMCs, definitely a good one.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.3)

Post by zookeeper »

beetlenaut wrote:-I hate losing undo. I tried to be careful about including [allow_undo], but that one slipped by me. Fixed.
You might want to consider extending that to checking out pickuppable items. Considering that you don't know what the item is like exactly before you move on it and see the stats, I think it'd be fair to allow you to undo if you then decide that you don't want to pick it up with that unit after all.
beetlenaut wrote:-I didn't find the bats to be that annoying, but then, I knew when and where they were going to spawn! I just removed the bats from the northern chasm that you can't see at the beginning. The scenario won't be a lot easier without them, but maybe less annoying. I also added a bit of dialog to hint at the fact that there will be more bats after the first turn.
It's mostly the blood bats which were annoying. Vampire bats are ok since they do so little damage, but I several times lost some not-critically-wounded lvl2 units to 2-3 blood bats appearing from nowhere in that particular scenario.
beetlenaut wrote:Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad the campaign was mostly good. I would love to see it get into mainline.
Yeah, I think it'd be fine for a mainline campaign. But nevertheless, that'd need to wait until after 1.6 so you'll have some months of time to polish it into perfection. ;)
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.3)

Post by beetlenaut »

zookeeper wrote:You might want to consider extending that to checking out pickuppable items.
You're right. AFAIK, I haven't played any scenario that allows you to undo after something is revealed--even a message. So, in those cases, I didn't worry about it. Allowing undo is tricky because the game state is not reverted. However, there are several times that it wouldn't really matter, so I will go through and put it where I can. Carefully. Maybe other developers will consider doing that too.
zookeeper wrote:It's mostly the blood bats which were annoying.
Oh, I agree. At least I agree when it's not me who's being annoying! The only blood bats came from the northern chasm which doesn't spit out bats any more at all. I haven't playtested it yet, so I may decide to put more vampire bats in the southern chasm to compensate, but in the future, I think I will stay away from blood bats (and other long-rage bad guys) in shrouded scenarios.
zookeeper wrote:Yeah, I think it'd be fine for a mainline campaign.
Does this count for the requirement, "A mainline developer has to speak in favor of adding the campaign"? :)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ghost_whore

Post by Ghost_whore »

ok, IM typing this as i play.

The first thing to say is when you play the into you should move the map up so we can see the town and mountains properly.

swimming corpse? i think merman corpse sounds better!

Just a question, Could you ad the swimming corpse and swimming soulless and any other zombie surprises you have to the undead faction, then add the merman faction and along with the rest of the default make a Era we can use? I play undead usually and swimming corpse are cool! (edit) I beat the first one.. add death knight too ^^. (end Edit)

You should do a survival, Outbreak of the zombie fishmen! That would be fun!

The scepter attack needs a picture ^^

they swarm to quickly! lol

They definitely get to high numbers... You should give less houses to take over. or something, IM playing on easy and it getting rough. or maybe i just suck.

This doesn't matter, but you should make the player blue and the undead black or something, fit more with the factions.

AHHHHHHHHH MY PRIESTESS! stupid skeleton archer.

OK, I must say the start of teh story looks good, Usually I'll read the first few lines and go 'meh' and skip, and not be really compelled to play more. but this, this is awesome ^^ I'll try it a few more times and get back to you if i come up with anything else!!
Attack my ghosts!! , whats this? day time? RUNNNN!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ghost_whore, you do not necessarily suck, but if you read back to the first page of this thread, Beetlenaut mentioned that this campaign is designed to be difficult, and even some of the other forum members had difficulty with the first scenario.

As such, Beetlenaut also outlines some of the strategy that is useful for beating the first scenario.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ghost_whore

Post by Ghost_whore »

mm, but i was doing it on easy. I got it on the second go though!
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

Hey, I just finished reading through your campaign (I don't have much time these days to play campaigns ;-), and I just wanted to alert you on a few spelling/grammatical issues:

Scenario 3: "You'll want a buch of both" buch -> bunch
Scenario 9: "He was in turns angry at Tyegëa" turns -> turn
Scenario 10: "and release you from any farther obligations." farther -> further (farther refers to a physical distance, while further refers to degree. AFAIK, anyway)

Good campaign! Hope I can actually play it one day :-)
--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Turuk wrote:The only minor critiques that I would offer is that for the new level 2, the armor looks a bit like, well..... a bib. As for the level 3, it looks good, but it doesn't seem to really be sitting on his body, but just above his scales? If that makes sense, like the body and armor are very distinctively apart.
The level 1 (not 2 because it starts at zero) is supposed to be wearing what is basically a brass bib. He's not strong enough yet for a suit of armor. In the other one, I was trying to put some dimension and depth into the armor so it didn't look painted on. Maybe I went too far. Still, the armor should protrude a little. I'll probably mess with the shading on both units a little, but I'm near the limits of my skill.
Turuk wrote:Other than that, keep up the good work. Your campaign is a blast to play, I've played a lot of UMCs, definitely a good one.
Thanks! I'm very happy that people seem to like it. I put a lot of time into it.
Ghost_whore wrote:Could you ad the swimming corpse and swimming soulless and any other zombie surprises you have to the undead faction, then add the merman faction and along with the rest of the default make a Era we can use?
Just a small request, right? The default era has been very carefully balanced, and not being able to choose your type of zombie is part of that balance. I doubt anyone is likely to make a whole new era (that would be admittedly less balanced) with a small change like that. You can learn WML and do it yourself of course, or, you can continue to do it the old-fashioned way: kill mermen with walking corpses.
Ghost_whore wrote:The scepter attack needs a picture
I'm well aware of that. Are you offering to do one?
Ghost_whore wrote:stupid skeleton archer.
That made me laugh out loud!
opensourcejunkie wrote:I just wanted to alert you on a few spelling/grammatical issues
I'll fix these before I upload it again. Not "turns" though. Paraphrasing: "He was in turns angry because of this and grateful because of that." "Turn" wouldn't work. I guess it might be awkward, so I'll consider rewording it. Farther vs. further is sort of a new thing, and not everyone makes the distinction. I will change it though.

A question for everyone who has played: Should I call this campaign "expert" instead of "intermediate"? Or should I change the names of the difficulty levels to start at "Normal" instead of "Easy" and go up from there? I'm not sure I have an accurate idea of how hard it is because I've played it so many times.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ghost_whore

Post by Ghost_whore »

Firstly, Yes i could do a scepter. If you want, but i'm not exactly sure how, as i've said before, It would be in paint. It'll try tonight.

Secondly, yes, Easy should go up to normal... i think.

i'm up to the second scenario right now... Someone keep dying! I'll get it tonight! lol.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Ghost_whore wrote:Firstly, Yes i could do a scepter. If you want, but i'm not exactly sure how, as i've said before, It would be in paint. It'll try tonight.
I could do a scepter too, I just couldn't do a very good scepter. I will give it a try eventually, but it would be nice if someone else did it first. I did the spiked mace in the /images/attacks folder of the campaign. That's my skill level. If you can do a scepter as good or better that that image, I would love to have it. If you're thinking of doing something as just a place-holder image, I probably won't use it.
Ghost_whore wrote:Secondly, yes, Easy should go up to normal... i think.
That's one vote. Anyone else?
Ghost_whore wrote:i'm up to the second scenario right now... Someone keep dying!
Yeah, wraiths and bone shooters tend to have that effect! Did you follow the advice and get Kai Krellis some experience in the first scenario? It makes the second much easier if he's already halfway to level one.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
cretin

Post by cretin »

i think its fine on normal right now, its supposed to be an expert level campaign (correct?), and i find normal level (me being a veteran player) not too difficult or easy. im sure for a new player its difficult, but thats what other campaigns are for.

i just have to say, both the idea of a mermen campaign and the way you pulled it off is absolutely amazing. this is top notch. i havnt actually finished it yet, but i am truely enjoying it. (im actually kinda waiting until the new mermen sprites are implemented, but that will probably be a ways off)

keep up the good work.
Ghost_whore

Post by Ghost_whore »

i didn't get him halfway, about on quarter. anyway, is the campaign actually finished ? if not what happens when you reliese an update.. do i restart? also, I offer any help you need. particularly map making... i love doing that !!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ghost_whore wrote:i didn't get him halfway, about on quarter. anyway, is the campaign actually finished ? if not what happens when you reliese an update.. do i restart? also, I offer any help you need. particularly map making... i love doing that !!
If he releases an update, you can download the new update but all of your saves will work, so you do not have to start over again.

I'm with cretin, I understood that this was a campaign more geared for veteran players who will take into account time of day, terrain, and resistances, among other things. So normal might be a bit harder than say normal on HttT, but I think it is fine how it stands.