Dead Water 1.0 for BfW 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water: Now for 1.7/1.8

Post by beetlenaut »

Initiates are probably essential for this campaign, but what other units you use is a matter of choice and style. I use many netcasters and brawlers to handle the units that are resistant to pierce, and at least one javelineer for the ones that aren't. I get a couple tritons or hoplites to use as meat shields, and give them any special weapons that appear.

It would be interesting to see if someone can get through with only initiates. (I think it would be fair to modify scenario one to allow nine of them instead of three.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Beetlenaut,

Is there any testing you still need done on this or are you just looking to finish up your art/spriting issues?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Mainly just art. However, if you play it on hard and have some feedback, I'll take it into consideration. Also, the version for 1.7 is the only one being worked on.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Dead Water 1.0 for BfW 1.8

Post by beetlenaut »

I have uploaded a new version to the server, and it's finally reached 1.0!

Mainly, I was waiting for nicer graphics, and I have them now. There is a portrait for Kai Krellis (by kitty), and new sprites for him as well (by Zerovirus). There has also been a lot of polishing by other people since the campaign went onto the UMC-dev site.

When BfW 1.9 gets a little farther along, Dead Water will be added to that, and you will be able to play it using whatever new goodies the devs have added. At that point, I won't really be in charge of the campaign, but if you have feedback, I'll see what I can do.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

beetlenaut, the senior devs are willing for you to have commit access to Wesnoth so you can continue to touch up DW after it's mainlined.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dead Water has just entered mainline in [rev]42023[/rev] for Wesnoth 1.9.0 (using wesnoth-umc-dev trunk revision 6900).

I needed to make a few changes to the frozen tree from wesnoth-umc-dev both before and after it entered mainline: [rev]42023[/rev], [rev]42024[/rev], [rev]42025[/rev], [rev]42026[/rev]. These have been backported to the 1.8 branch in the wesnoth-umc-dev repository (r6908, r6909, r6910) but I don't think they are important enough to update the version in the add-ons server right now. The trunk tree for Dead Water in wesnoth-umc-dev should receive no more commits.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Taimat

Post by Taimat »

Huh, this is going mainline? That's great. Always thought this was brilliant.
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

Taimat wrote:Huh, this is going mainline? That's great. Always thought this was brilliant.
So did I. I'm the person responsible for every mainlining since Northern Rebirth - I think DW is my ninth or tenth. And I have never seen UMC as instantly mainline-ready as this one - design excellent, WML quality high, artwork mostly in place, and even storyline prose nearly up to my nigh-impossible standards.

Normally it takes me weeks -- sometimes months -- to do a lift. I usually have to sweet-talk artists into producing, do a lot of micro-level WML corrections, rebalance scenarios, tweak maps, write a journey track, and seriously script-doctor the prose. Often entire scenarios need to be rewritten, added, or dropped, with ripple effects on the rest. The extreme case was probably Legend of Wesmere, where I ended up lopping off eight scenarios and rewriting the entire back end of the plot.

I think DW took me three days, start to finish. Most of that was minor work on the prose to punch up some of the psychological elements - making Gwabbo's surrogate-father role to Krellis a bit more prominent, and making the decision to liberate the slaves in scenario 4 the pivot point at which Krellis solidified the loyalty of his people. Compared to what I usually have to do the effort was trivial.

All in all, most impressive work by Beetlenaut. I devoutly wish all my lifts were this easy.
Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

Esr, what UMC are you lifting next?
Taimat

Post by Taimat »

Heh. Thats...Pretty damn impressive.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

I tried this when I downloaded the new version of Wesnoth and while it looks promising, I never got to beat the first scenario. I know I'm probably a year or two late on saying this, but it's just too difficult for easy difficulty. Maybe the enemy could recruit skeletons to capture the villages to slow them down? I'll try it again in a bit but as is, I just can't get into it.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Arawn wrote:I tried this when I downloaded the new version of Wesnoth and while it looks promising, I never got to beat the first scenario. I know I'm probably a year or two late on saying this, but it's just too difficult for easy difficulty. Maybe the enemy could recruit skeletons to capture the villages to slow them down? I'll try it again in a bit but as is, I just can't get into it.
The first scenario is easy. Read the walkthrough on the scenario file. Its the last scenario that annoys me. The enemies could do well with less gold.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Kuchen

Post by Kuchen »