Gambits Empire Builder 2.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Gambits Empire Builder 2.2

Post by Gambit »

Gambits Empire Builder has been around a while now. This is the first time Ive been able to post about it on the forums. The 1.0 branch was rather lame and cheap because I just copied Bob The Mighties code form ANL.

The 2.0 branch was build bottom up. Took me all summer. Its like ANL in that you can build and deform the terrain but thats where the similarities stop.

2.2 was mostly bug fixes. Im fairly confident that it is ENTIRELY bug free. Thats all I did for this version. 1 new feature and about 20 bug fixes.

It doesnt have an in game help at this time and it still uses move events. But its still a very fun addon. I plan to add in game help, 4 player support, and right click menus next summer.

All the villages have thier own unique functions.

Army Recruiters: Peasants who move here may enlist in the army

Huts: Mages may move here and recruit peasants for 1 extra gold piece. Huts allow you to establish colonies that dont require a leader to be there all the time.

Taverns: Get slavers, hunters, or berserkers, or have a drink. The 3 different kinds of ale will change the units alignment. Slavers will capture any enemy peasants they hit. Hunters are a faster way to get food than farming. Berserkers will be able to tear down cave wall in future version but for now they're just a good way to counter enemy ships. Instead of fearing the coastline do to enemy ships, make them fear coming to close.

Churches: Pray for wisdom(exp), health, or speed.

Courtyards: Get new types of units here. Trade your resources with the other sides. Defect units to other sides (to help allies or sell soldiers to poorer players).

Windmills: The wind powered sawmills let you cut the wood into planks for building ships.

Shipyard: Repair and upgrade ships.

Food is required for many different things. When you recruit a peasant or mage you lose 1 food. When your out of food you cant recuit peasants or mages. Well you can, but they die right away of hunger. Food can be gotten in three ways: farming, hunting, and ranching(respectivally listed in terms of amount of food gathered).

Wood is required for building and is gotten from cutting trees or reeds.

There are two versions of the game. Normal and Extended. In normal mode anyone can play with you and you only need the addon to host. In extended mode there are cool custom units and some other... cool... features.

I dont know what else to say other than try it for yourself.

If you have any suggestions or find any bugs please post them here. If you just want to say "good job" thats also welcome :wink:

Complaints ill take but only if they're logical. No telling me that the grass is too green. Or that the game has too many features.
Mica

Re: Gambits Empire Builder 2.2

Post by Mica »

I had posted, but I deleted that post because I just re-downloaded (it was off my computer since I switched to 1.4.4) it and noticed you actually cleaned it up some. I might help you. I also suggest using http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21413 that SVN. It will allow others to help your project easier, also it will mean if anything happens to your files (accidental delete, etc) then the files will be on the SVN. It's very useful, and I already use it for 2 projects of mine.

[edit]
Also, if you don't mind, I'm actually going to upload it for you there, mostly because easy file transfer. I also have someone who runs wmlindent for me (I'm on Windows and I can't figure it out - wmlindent is a python tool that automatically indents for you) that uses the SVN. If you don't want me to, say so and I'll remove it.

[edit2]
I noticed that everytime a peasant (or mage if on the right spot, and leader I think) that the message pops up. You should change that to right click menu options, like ANL does, it's less frustrating / infuriating. :P
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

On that last point, that will be coming in a future release along with in game help.

And yeah I have been focusing a lot on "cleaning up" and fixing bugs. Like I noticed my Ice Ghosts Flaming Ghosts and Spec Ops Rangers attacks were no longer animated. Thats what I spent most of today fixing.

And I dont indent my code. Its just a habbit of mine that started in HTML and has carried through every language I've learned since. I like to have it all lined up and quickly scroll down through. But I suppose I could make my own seperate copy and then indent before uploading.

And what is the SVN and what is involved with "other people working on it"? After the horribleness of GEB1 I kinda take pride in having done all of GEB2 myself.

And I have a question about custom AMLAs.

I have this on a unit I'm working on

[advancement]
strict_amla=yes
max_times=100
id=amla_speed
description= _ "Max HP bonus +5, Max Movement Bonus +1, Max XP +50%"
image="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
[effect]
apply_to=hitpoints
increase_total=5
heal_full=yes
[/effect]
[effect]
apply_to=movement
increase_total=1
[/effect]

[effect]
apply_to=max_experience
increase=50%
[/effect]
[/advancement]

The stuff in green is not working at all. Any idea where I can learn about this? Or who I could ask?

[edit]
nvm i fixed that.

i do have another question. because you can get a new leader in GEB i have it set that

victory_when_enemies_defeated=no

But in 1v1s when one person loses a leader it says the game is over for them but the other guys comp doesnt think so and it causes OOS.

is there some kind of

defeat_when_leader_lost=no

that i can use??

[/edit]
Mica

Post by Mica »

Don't know why the victory isn't working properly.

About SVN, people will just use wmlindent and wmllint (tools to indent and update your wml) really. they'll just do minor stuff. but it's nice.

I also suggest having all the options, and all the variables and whatever be included in the era not the scenarios themselves.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I also suggest having all the options, and all the variables and whatever be included in the era not the scenarios themselves.
:shock: NO WAY! :D

i didnt know that could be done. but i do now :mrgreen: so your saying i should put the macro includes inside the eras?

and the victory is working properly. thats the problem. I dont want there to be a victory.

See one guys computer thinks its been defeated and quits. The other dudes computer is reading teh victory_when_enemies defeated=no and thinking that its not over.

I need it to not end when your leader dies. Because in GEB you can get a new one. It works out okay except in 1v1s. Because in everything else (like 1v1v1) there is a third person to offset this.

Have there ever been any scenarios where if your leader dies you can still keep playing? Where your leader didnt matter? I need to know how to do that.

And if the SVN people are just preforming maintanence than thats cool. But how will they sync that with my copy? Theyd have to redo thier work every time or do I have to wait for them to finish it once and then download that fixed version and then add more? GEB hasnt gotten to a stagnant point yet like ANL. Im constantly adding and fixing.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Ah but SVN is magic. You first do a "check out" or download of a certain repository, then there's an option to "update" and ANY changes that were made to any file will be updated, the rest will be the same. :D

As for examples, I suggest Mabuse's edit of The High Seas.

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Hmmmm I'll look into it.

I also need some sprites. Ive been looking around the artwork forums and most requests go without ever having anyone fullfill them. It seems people like to draw just what they feel like drawing. Any idea how I can convince a good sprite artist to make me a few?

I need a cow and a unit that the flaming ghost from UTBS would advance to.
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

so is this a seperate game from wesnoth? or a campaign?

and where do we download it from?
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Get it from the add-ons menu.
It is right at the bottom.
It is multiplayer, not a campaign.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

yessir.

Good news for fans. Just as a test i converted teh teleporters to right click menus. Not nearly as complicated as i thought

possibly this next version :D
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

okay everything is setup for right clicking except for villages. ill addd them tonight :D
Mica

Post by Mica »

Great! Can't wait, I'll actually be able to play this game! Last time, I played til turn 15 then said screw it. :(

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

hmmmm. well everything is done and tested. but ima wait till tomorow to release.

1. because my SWBF2 team needs me today

and 2. to build up suspense

and 3. because YOU ONLY PLAYED 15 SECONDS?

and 4. because there might still be bugs i havent spotted yet. I actually added more this version than 2.1 and 2.2 combined. a bunch of new units. a new building. and of course the right click menus. and there was loads of bug fixes, unit balancing, and general tinkering.
Mica

Post by Mica »

I said 15 turns. And awww.

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

okay im releasing it now.