1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jacques_Fol

Re: 1.6 Campaign: A Rough Life - ver 1.0.4

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Excellent! Much obliged, melinath, thank you for all your help.

I will obviously have to look at the path for the unit images again, although I actually have the elves-wood folder with that path included in the core images directory; still, something must obviously be wrong, so I'll take another look.

I will also happily copy your code into my version as appropriate, and then upload the updated version with the updated thanks in the credits. I hope to get to it all by the end of this week; otherwise, early next week.
melinath

Post by melinath »

I was mistaken about the problem with elves-wood. You're right. It's in core. I was also mistaken about the unit. I should have said Elven Queen, not Princess. It looks like they updated the unit images since you copied the animations. The missing frames in the Elven Queen's file are:
image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-magic.png"
image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-melee.png"
The relevant images don't exist. Rather, there's

image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-magic-1.png"
image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-magic-2.png"

image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-melee-1.png"
image="units/elves-wood/enchantress-melee-7.png"
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Version 1.0.5 has been uploaded to the server.

Including in the update are almost all of the helpful suggestions by melinath,* the slightly updated "Krug" portrait and a few other tidbits. I also decided to react to the measured discontent of the users by not having Jacques restored to zero exp L1 unit in scenario 2, although I am not sure if I managed to avoid him getting "killed" at the end of scenario 1 by using

Code: Select all

[kill]
		[not]
			id=Jacques
		[/not]
		side=1
	[/kill]
Should this work or should I add an [and] tag in there, or perhaps simply reverse the order? I think it didn't work when I played it through myself, but I might be mistaken.

*As for your suggestions, melinath, I have followed the advice of removing the longwinded path to the images for the Battle Commander (hopefully that solves this issue), and have attempted to learn from Orcish Shyde's suggestion for Sand Trapper in adapting Kyoko's later incarnations. Hopefully, the images should now work regardless of what further changes are made to mainline (or, indeed, regardless of the game version used by the player).

Most importantly, perhaps, I have made full use of your [switch] and [case] code suggestions, adding them to all the relevant scenarios. You were right in wondering whether a Rogue can make it as far as scenario 8 - in theory, he can't, as the first transformation path is opened in scenario 5. Otherwise, your code was perfect except for a small hiccup - I suppose it would not work if Jacques started scenario 8 as a thief and then advanced twice, as the second transformation would not be provided for in the advance event. I thus reverted back to post_advance and added the same modifier you added in the start event. Seems to be working just right now, thanks! (You have, of course, been added to the unassuming credits for all your help.)
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: 1.6 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.0.5

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I recently downloaded A Rough Life from the campaign server and tried it out. Admittedly it isn't the best campaign I ever played, but I found it to be far superior to several other campaigns I also downloaded. Good work!
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Thanks, Captain_Wrathbow. As it all started with me trying to see if I could actually code a simple scenario, and then another, and another, I'm very pleased that it turned out to be a playable campaign and your kind comment is very welcome.

I suppose the story turned out relatively well, what with me improvising as I went along, while my mapping and coding skills leave much room for improvement. I will still try to locate or obtain some more art portraits for the main protagonists,* as that would add some most welcome flavour to it all, but other than that my work on it has more or less reached its limit.
Spoiler:
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Glad to see that you are still actively working on things. I have enjoyed this campaign quite a bit. I hadn't played BfW for many months when I decided to try out some user campaigns once again. I have enjoyed the story but a have a few random comments. Do you have a list of outstanding issues? Here's what I thought you might like to fix.

Units on a temple or statue square are shown behind the temple. I don't even know, this might be an engine issue, no?
Why do different versions of Kyoko appear? I don't mind, I'm partial to druid types and am currently using Kyoko AND a generic Elven Princess on the the final scenario, but I wasn't sure that was intentional. On one scenario, I lost because my "secondary" kyoko died, even though she didn't have a "crown". Weird.
I don't recall the scenario number but the one with the Scorpion Queen and Griffin Lord, I attacked the Griffin lord first, accidentally, beat him and then went looking for the Scorpion Queen. However, even after finding the Elder Wose, I could not activate the pile of rocks to bring out the Queen. :( Had to start the scenario over.

Other than that, well, mobility seems to be an issue in so many places. That may be intentional. I like playing orcs alongside elven archers but man they are slow! Pretty good balance on the money for each level I think. And great storyline. Keep up the good work. Makes me want to design my own thing.
Huston

Post by Huston »

those sound like issues he's already fixed. have you tried using the update add-ons feature to update your add-ons?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Huston wrote:those sound like issues he's already fixed. have you tried using the update add-ons feature to update your add-ons?
Indeed, Jem, what version of Wesnoth are you playing this on?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

JemDaddyO wrote:Glad to see that you are still actively working on things. I have enjoyed this campaign quite a bit. I hadn't played BfW for many months when I decided to try out some user campaigns once again. I have enjoyed the story but a have a few random comments. Do you have a list of outstanding issues? Here's what I thought you might like to fix.
Greetings to the forum, JemDaddyO, and thanks for the kind words! Summer is a good time for Wesnoth, methinks, and I fall in the category of those who manage to find more time for such pastimes during that time. I do not have a list of outstanding issues (except for a mental list of character portraits I am hunting down to include), but I try to address them as they come up.
JemDaddyO wrote:Why do different versions of Kyoko appear? I don't mind, I'm partial to druid types and am currently using Kyoko AND a generic Elven Princess on the the final scenario, but I wasn't sure that was intentional. On one scenario, I lost because my "secondary" kyoko died, even though she didn't have a "crown". Weird.
Indeed, I hope to have already quashed the bugs you mention, but sorry you still had to experience them. That includes the "secondary" Kyoko who, of course, should not exist, much as certain evil characters might approve, and hopefully doesn't any more.
JemDaddyO wrote:Other than that, well, mobility seems to be an issue in so many places. That may be intentional. I like playing orcs alongside elven archers but man they are slow!
Point well taken. Others also noticed this and this may be one of the things I may still end up adjusting, eventually, at least in one or two crucial scenarios/environments.
JemDaddyO wrote:Pretty good balance on the money for each level I think. And great storyline. Keep up the good work. Makes me want to design my own thing.
Many thanks, and you're welcome to try it out! That's exactly how I did it - enjoyed a campaign or two and said to myself, "Could I code a simple scenario myself?" Turned out I could, and ended up being more gratifying than simply playing the game, including the kind comments like yours!
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Oh fudge. While I did just download your scenario the other day, I am in fact still playing on Wesnoth 1.4.3. Does an upgrade of the software screw up the scenario play? I am almost finished and would rather not start all over.
Huston

Post by Huston »

you'll just need to find your userdata folder and copy the saves folder to the newly installed version of wesnoth
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I guess if it doesn't work, I can fall back on the old version to finish it.

Here's another question I have with some SPOILERS so do not read if you're going to play this.

On Day of Reckoning I moved Kyoko to the green area and got the next clue about bridges. But prior to that I moved Jacques up one of the bridges to get the aid of the Great Troll. Have I screwed up the special order that will let me defeat Ruphulus? I've brought Kyoko et al. across the other bridge and around the entire north section of the map, still looking for the answer to the clue. The only place I haven't fully explored is the second narrow tunnel on the left, (the one above the one leading to the green area.) Keep in mind I am still playing this on 1.4.3.
melinath

Post by melinath »

The clue about a bridge is misleading. You need to explore that tunnel.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JemDaddyO wrote:Oh fudge. While I did just download your scenario the other day, I am in fact still playing on Wesnoth 1.4.3. Does an upgrade of the software screw up the scenario play? I am almost finished and would rather not start all over.
Well, it just explains the bugs you are still encountering then, as ARL on the 1.4 server is at version 0.9.3, while on 1.6 it is at 1.0.5, so there have been fixes since.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

JemDaddyO wrote:Thanks. I'll give it a try. I guess if it doesn't work, I can fall back on the old version to finish it.
I suppose the issue is the one Turuk mentioned just above - if downloading the campaign via the 1.4 server, it's an older version of it, and updating the Wesnoth engine will mean that the old version of the campaign will no longer work. I'm afraid (but not certain) that the old savegames would then presumably also not work if you wanted to use them with the new version of the campaign.

So, if you ask me, I would try to finish the campaign with the current version, especially since you're very close to the old ending scenario(s). In the updated version of the campaign, a few more scenarios were added, so you would get a little more out of it, but if you decided to replay it from the start in the 1.6 environment, I would perhaps wait just a little longer to also hopefully get the new art included in it and make it more of a "new" experience.
JemDaddyO wrote:Here's another question I have with some SPOILERS so do not read if you're going to play this.

On Day of Reckoning I moved Kyoko to the green area and got the next clue about bridges. But prior to that I moved Jacques up one of the bridges to get the aid of the Great Troll. Have I screwed up the special order that will let me defeat Ruphulus? I've brought Kyoko et al. across the other bridge and around the entire north section of the map, still looking for the answer to the clue. The only place I haven't fully explored is the second narrow tunnel on the left, (the one above the one leading to the green area.) Keep in mind I am still playing this on 1.4.3.
There should be nothing wrong with the order in which you do these particular steps, as
Spoiler:
I hope you enjoy it to the end(ings)!