1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CannonFodder

Re: 1.12 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.5

Post by CannonFodder »

Wow, this was one beautifully made moderate length campaign!

I liked the story and the way the scenarios were designed. No terribly huge battles, just right, everything possible to be finished without tedious troop management, retaining the more interesting aspects of the gameplay. I think the first scenario was the hardest of all, had to restart it several times until figuring out how to finish it proper and safe. I restarted several other scenarios to see how well I can conserve my troops. It was nice to have alternatives in strategy, more possibilities to accomplish something.

Graphically I was first a bit surprised when I got to see another dragon, then was blown away when he actually started to move. A bit quirky, maybe, but has a decent pixel-art charm, fits well the game, and as I later checked it in the campaign data, it isn't even too large: it feels like being designed just right to convey a nice impression (although I see it might be a work-in-progress, manually upscaling some older pixel art, the flight animation being still seemingly a placeholder). I was looking forward to fight the damn thing again to see some more of its animation :)

So in overall this was a nice campaign for me all around. Not utterly extraordinary, but smooth, well designed, the battles being interesting and flowing nicely, worth to play.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi. It's been a couple of years but I dropped by to see how things have been going... and I realized I never followed up on the tense mis-matches in the intro story. I'm sorry for that. I think that happened when I moved the intro into the story.cfg and I cut and pasted the wrong message text. Anyway, it's late, but never too late to offer a fix. So here's the corrected story.cfg. Only a few small grammatical (verb tense related) changes, but they're kind of important since they are the first text the player reads and set the first impression for the storytelling.

Cheers!
Attachments
story.cfg.zip
(10.14 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Thank you for the corrections :)
By the way, in the feedback topic, Samonella suggested some improvements to the first scenario, as it didn't seem quite right to have Jacques suddenly appearing in the centre of the island.
I implemented his suggestions in the scenario; do you want to review it too?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I'll look forward to seeing the changes, but, no I don't want to review them. I trust that they will be improvements, or you wouldn't have put them in.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Are there plans to port to 1.13?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Yes, I plan to port it to 1.13/1.14, as well as my other add-ons. Unfortunately, real life always gets in the way... :(
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.14 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.7

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 1.2.7 of A Rough Life has been uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server. This is the complete list of changes:
  • Added the new dialogue involving Jeff the Burner...
  • Removed MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR
  • Fixed portrait paths
  • Fixed Young Gryphon animation syntax
  • Fixed AI syntax that was changed for the 1.14 series
  • Corrected a few misspellings
  • Fixed a missing : in the Dragon Lord animations
  • Changed "Fi" to "Fidelis"
  • Fixed TELEPORT_TILE macro not working correctly
  • Made Fear and Loathing appear at the same time in their messages...
  • Replaced old Human Commander sprite with the new one from UtBS
  • Added Signalman portrait frankensteined by ForestDragon
  • Replaced a {FOREACH} with [foreach]
  • Added Signalmen to all difficulties (not just on Hard) in Following Destiny
  • Split the final event in Following Destiny in two, to allow playing the death animation of the farmer in the middle of the dialogue
  • Removed useless {ai/aliases/stable_singleplayer.cfg}
  • _main.cfg: used [difficulty] tags instead of the old macros
About the AI code, I noticed an issue: the stderr log is spammed with messages like the following one

Code: Select all

error ai/actions: Error #2001 (move_result::E_EMPTY_MOVE) in full move by side 3 from location 14,11 to location 18,13
At first, I though that I made some mistakes while coding it, so I added some wesnoth.message() calls to try and debug it. Surprise: I noticed that the AI code gets inexplicably executed twice for each turn. At this point, I got suspicious and opened a savegame with a text editor; there I got the second surprise: some parts of the AI code (the [target] and [candidate_action] tags) are duplicated in the savegame itself, but they aren't duplicated in my code. I'm going to report this issue on Github.

EDIT: reported as bug #3338
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.14 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.8

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 1.2.8 has been uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server. This is a bugfix release, in which I fixed the HARD difficulty accidentally being defined as EASY (cursed copypasting... :augh: ). I also added major_amla=yes to Kyoko's advancements, updated the code of her Inspire ability and gave her a leadership animation frame.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I don't know if a campaign should tolerate things like debug :n or rushing through a scenario. Anyway, scenario 7 gives a wml error when it tries to move King Bombasan to Kyoko. The thing is I don't have a Kyoko in my recall list. It's taking it for granted that she's there. :/
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

vghetto wrote: November 25th, 2021, 3:35 am I don't know if a campaign should tolerate things like debug :n or rushing through a scenario. Anyway, scenario 7 gives a wml error when it tries to move King Bombasan to Kyoko. The thing is I don't have a Kyoko in my recall list. It's taking it for granted that she's there. :/
I always assumed that using debug mode comes at the player's own risk; in fact, not even mainline campaigns have a common policy on this. For example, HttT tries to make sure that Delfador, Kalenz and Li'Sar are created if missing with three NEED_* macros; on the other hand, Liberty just uses regular [recall] tags for Harper and Helicrom and that's it.
Assuming that it might be possible, should I try to fix this for the 1.16 port?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

It's at your own discretion really.
Yes, I was thinking of NEED_DELFADOR or even popping out the character in victory like in Rise of the Elementalist in one of the scenarios.
I'm not really playing, I just try to get a feel of the campaign and the maps. So, if the objectives say defeat enemy leader, I kill the leader on turn 1 and move on. (using my Heal_Harm_Unit mod).
It's not on you or the campaign to accommodate for such behavior. I'm just letting you that the wml error can can arise in that situation.
Your call.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 1.2.9 of A Rough Life has been uploaded on the 1.16 add-ons server.
While this is mainly a compatibility update, I took the chance to improve the Lua AI code used in the first scenario (now it shouldn't print any more errors in the stderr when Jabb moves) and, following this post in the feedback thread, made The Day of Reckoning easier (more gold and, above all, all those pesky 1-hex corridors went away!).
This is a list of what I did:
Spoiler:
BTW, I decided to not add support for the debug command :n; in my opinion, it's always better to do a proper playtest.
Have fun!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 5th, 2022, 8:23 pm Version 1.2.9 of A Rough Life has been uploaded on the 1.16 add-ons server.
While this is mainly a compatibility update, I took the chance to improve the Lua AI code used in the first scenario (now it shouldn't print any more errors in the stderr when Jabb moves) and, following this post in the feedback thread, made The Day of Reckoning easier (more gold and, above all, all those pesky 1-hex corridors went away!).
This is a list of what I did:
Spoiler:
BTW, I decided to not add support for the debug command :n; in my opinion, it's always better to do a proper playtest.
Have fun!
So, I was wondering if you could push the sources for this add-on to your GitHub? It would make contributing to it and referring to it easier for me...
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

egallager wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:11 pm So, I was wondering if you could push the sources for this add-on to your GitHub? It would make contributing to it and referring to it easier for me...
I'm currently busy with other stuff, so this will have to wait. But at some point I'll do it :)
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Scenario 1:

The objective explained that if my leader survived until turn 15, I would win. Yet here it is, turn 16, and the game continues.

My leader is level 1, and my army consists of a single 0-level unit, and I have no gold, and 28 enemy units are closing in, and I'm trapped on an island.

This is easy mode?

Minor nitpick: maybe the burning boat could stop burning after a day or so.
Attachments
ARL-Led Astray replay 20230204-132331.gz
easy mode
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.