Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by StandYourGround »

This scenario is enough fun that I made an account on the forums just to comment on it. Thanks, SkeleRanger. :geek:
Spoiler:
EDIT: Finally beat Shadows!! I played through the replay (Skipping animation to save time), and I got through with no corruption errors, so I'll upload he replay .gz file.
Attachments
ToaM-Shadows_replay.gz
(149.97 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Merik

Post by Merik »

Hi all

I currently achieved the scenario called "the knalgans" (the one that just take place when you kill Mal-Karin) and I am facing a big problem.

When loading the game, i get a message : "the game could'nt be loaded : load_game_failed: Attempt to de-serialize a unit with no 'type' field (probably emplty) "

So it seems that it cant load the game because of one certain unit. Since it can't, I cannot go forward in the campaign and that's really sad :(

Do you have any solution to solve this problem?
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

I played through the campaign up to the 'Shadows', and really enjoyed it; well thought out, interesting maps, and a variety that kept it fresh. I did find that i had to give my Allied leaders a personal body guard to keep them alive and often that proved very difficult, fearless or suicidal they are, and i felt the balanceing tip toward me after the Prison Break scenario.

congrats on a very well done campaign, and thank you.

stillcen
Instantblade

Post by Instantblade »

I also am having the same problem...

After I win against the lich lord (the I don't know what's the name of the battle where an aliance of 4 + me attack the lich + his 3 minions - 2 undead and one general...), it doesn't load the next scenario.

Why?

Thanks in advance..
optics

Post by optics »

i too have the same problem im using wesnoth 1.6 by the way
Merik wrote:Hi all

I currently achieved the scenario called "the knalgans" (the one that just take place when you kill Mal-Karin) and I am facing a big problem.

When loading the game, i get a message : "the game could'nt be loaded : load_game_failed: Attempt to de-serialize a unit with no 'type' field (probably emplty) "

So it seems that it cant load the game because of one certain unit. Since it can't, I cannot go forward in the campaign and that's really sad :(

Do you have any solution to solve this problem?
Halykos

Post by Halykos »

I cannot help you but if you wanna know what the problem is: In the campaign folder is no map for "The Knalgans". Further is "The Knalgans" the last sceneario in the folder but it does by far not seem to be the intended end of the campaign. Bottom line: The campaign is unfinished (and will probably die that way (but that's just my opinion)).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Halykos wrote:Bottom line: The campaign is unfinished (and will probably die that way (but that's just my opinion)).
It is unfinished, but Skeleranger has been busy and still manages to pop on to the forums every few days, so give him some time to update on where he is at with his work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Hi, I'm back. I'll do my best to answer said questions. I was interrupted while writing the Knalgans scenario and I forgot and uploaded it anyway. Sorry.
StandYourGround wrote:This scenario is enough fun that I made an account on the forums just to comment on it. Thanks, SkeleRanger. :geek:
Ah, that gives me a warm fuzzy...
Spoiler:
Thanks for your input. It's good to know its an enjoyable campaign.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
sudo

Post by sudo »

Hey Folks,

I'm loving this campaign! However, I'm having a ton of trouble with the "Prince of Wesnoth" scenario. I've been searching around for strategies but haven't been able to find much. Are there any guides out there for TaoM or specifically the Prince of Wesnoth scenario?

Thanks.

Finally got it! That was a real toughie. Or maybe I just suck more than I thought :D

It seemed like NPC had a self destruct button that went off on turn 5, no matter how many strategies I tried. Had to sacrifice a fair number of unit to keep this dude alive. On to the catacombs!
Best Open Source Apps ~ just doing my part...
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

sudo wrote:Finally got it! That was a real toughie. Or maybe I just suck more than I thought :D

It seemed like NPC had a self destruct button that went off on turn 5, no matter how many strategies I tried. Had to sacrifice a fair number of unit to keep this dude alive. On to the catacombs!
I had the same problem - the prince is a young hothead who attacks (and dies) with reckless abandon. He probably gets this from his mother, who exhibits the same tendency later in the campaign. (Fortunately, she wields the Sceptre of Fire, which makes her a less inviting target for the AI.)

Eventually, I heeded the sage advice of my comrade-in-arms Sir Lancelotl: "Charge!".

If you spam lancers and play to assassinate the leaders, it's quite easy to win this scenario on turn 4 or thereabouts.

Of course, you don't gain any xp on your mages winning this way, but getting half a dozen lancers on your recall list is rather good compensation for this.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
sudo

Post by sudo »

Yup you pretty much nailed it!

Interesting though I've never worked with lancers, on paper they didn't look all the usefull. I'll have to give a few a go.
Best Open Source Apps ~ just doing my part...
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Fixed The Knalgans scenario, and changed Karin to Caryn. If I missed anything please tell me.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Merik

Post by Merik »

Since I uploaded the new update, it works properly (thx Skele). However the last scenerio was not a playable one... :lol2:

It only said "to be continued"

So i ask : When are we going to continue this amazing campaign? :D
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Yeah, it is only dialogue. Sorry. I'm working on the next playable scenario now. I should have it up pretty soon.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Loved this campaign, can't wait to see more of it !