Sceptre of Life, version 0.12.1

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pariah

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.11.1

Post by Pariah »

I just installed SoL and got this error when trying to start the campaign:

Error
The game map could not be loaded: Map not a rectangle
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

whoa, that's not good; I'll look into it immediately
--OSJ

Edit: I wasn't able to reproduce the error on my machine, and with my version of SoL. I'll upload my current version, in case it was just a bug with the public version. Could you post what version of wesnoth you're using? Thanks,
--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

1.6 on Windows XP SP3. I removed and reinstalled SoL and got the same error
opensourcejunkie

Pariah wrote:1.6 on Windows XP SP3. I removed and reinstalled SoL and got the same error
All right, thanks for checking. I'm presently running Kubuntu Linux, so tomorrow when my brother wakes up, I'll see if he'll let me install wesnoth 1.6 onto his (windows XP SP3) laptop to test. Thanks for the error report,
--OSJ

Edit: I've uploaded a bugfix version which fixes a number of broken portraits. I hadn't realized they were broken (credit goes to SkyOne for helping me fix them), since the old ones still worked on my machine. Sorry 'bout that; let me know of any further portrait problems y'all run into. Thanks,
--OSJ
Last edited by opensourcejunkie on April 11th, 2009, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Ektheleon

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.11.2

Post by Ektheleon »

Really enjoying it so far, but playing the second scenario, the jury-rigged illumination around the runes doesn't seem to turn off. The illumination halo goes away, but the day/night setting stays changed.
opensourcejunkie

Yeah, "jury-rigged" is a good term for it. When I first created the scenario (back in 1.4 days), I was told that 1.5/1.6 would have the capability to change the time of day via WML, but the last time I checked the wiki, it is still a static feature. Now there's a (possibly good) chance that the wiki is simply behind the technology, so perhaps once it's updated I'll be able to correct that. However, if it remains an impossible task, then I'll just make the lights be permanently on.

Glad you like it so far, though. Let me know of any further suggestions you might have.
--OSJ
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

um... what do I do about that map error?
opensourcejunkie

Hey, sorry, I haven't forgotten about you :-). Believe it or not, I can't seem to find my way onto a windows computer to test. My mother's computer uses 98 still, and my brother's being a loser and not letting me install wesnoth (even if temporarily) so I can test/debug. I think the main issue with him is that he doesn't want to sacrifice his own time with his computer, so perhaps friday when he goes to work, I can convince him to let me use it.

I suppose that failing that, I might just hijack a friend's computer for an hour or two, tell them it's for a good cause ;-).
--OSJ

Edit: I've managed to secure my brother's computer for this friday night. I've been thinking a bit about the error message, and my gut instinct is that it might be conflicting with another add-on you have installed. Since you're the only user who has reported experiencing this problem, it probably has something to do with your specific configuration of wesnoth - i.e. the add-ons you have installed.

So I was wondering if you might do me a favor to help solve this thing. Would you mind zipping up your userdata directory, and emailing it to me (probably too large for a forum attachment)? If not it's cool, but it might help me to replicate the error. My email address is opensourcejunkie@gmail.com

Thanks,
--OSJ

Edit:
When I first created the scenario (back in 1.4 days), I was told that 1.5/1.6 would have the capability to change the time of day via WML, but the last time I checked the wiki, it is still a static feature.
I just checked the wiki again, and as it turns out, I just discovered the WML needed to fix the time of day problems. So, you can expect a severely updated scenario 2 in an upcoming bugfix release
frode

Post by frode »

Hello,

I really enjoy this campaign, but I think I've encountered a bug in scenario 5 "Satisfactory Victory".

After Derrill has departed and the elves dialogue has ended (ending with "Hold them back, elves! Stand firm!"), the elves move around and then the game crashes with:

Code: Select all

20090409 16:57:10 error display: Tile at 0,0 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20090409 16:57:10 error config: invalid move_unit_fake source: 0,0
wesnoth: unit_display.cpp:128: void unit_display::move_unit(const std::vector<map_location, std::allocator<map_location> >&, unit&, const std::vector<team, std::allocator<team> >&): Assertion `!path.empty()' failed.
Aborted
If anyone else is stuck because of this bug, you can comment out the following line in wesnoth/data/campaigns/The_Scepter_Of_Life/scenarios/05_Satisfactory_Victory.cfg:

Code: Select all

{MOVE_UNIT id=$side_1[$i].id $beach_locs[$i].x $beach_locs[$i].y}
You'll have to start the scenario over (load the first auto save) for the change to take effect.
opensourcejunkie

frode wrote:I really enjoy this campaign, but I think I've encountered a bug in scenario 5 "Satisfactory Victory".
I enjoy that you only think that you've found a bug given that the game crashes ;-)

I'll make it a point to fix this for the next bugfix release, thanks.
--OSJ
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

I've been thinking about the guy who said that he was going to quit the campaign because of the end dialog for the first scenario. You might be able to avoid that if you included some of the explanation from the second campaign, so it doesn't come out like: "Yeah, she just keeled over. In the castle. Well protected." That's kind of infuriating. Just a thought, though. You're the boss!
Exia

Post by Exia »

Ektheleon wrote:I've been thinking about the guy who said that he was going to quit the campaign because of the end dialog for the first scenario
hehe i found that pretty amusing, my sister died in the first scenario so i quit. I didnt really give much thought on that but you could make it so that the orcs sent an assassin and he got into the castle, then he comes out wounded but it seems like he failed but later you find out your sister is dead.
CMaster

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.11.0

Post by CMaster »

Sorry, I took so long to respond :(
opensourcejunkie wrote:I tried to mitigate the tomatoishness a bit by setting the clock to 12 turns no matter how many turns you spent wandering in the forest, and by placing Wose units near any entrance to Dur Ullum that a player might take. That way, even if he ends up at one of the northern bridges, the Wose units stationed there can cover his retreat, if need be.
Yeah, I noticed that there was no technical(!) tomato surprise, and I knew what you had been trying to do when I noticed the jumping of the clock. Trouble is, that it feels like one anyway.
opensourcejunkie wrote:At any rate, I did change the hint to the following text: "When Aeryn moves within 6 hexes of an enemy, Nia 'Kelan will become aware of his presence." I was tempted to take CMaster's suggestion, and completely remove the hint altogether. The only downside to that is that the player won't know why the enemy isn't recruiting from turn 1.

Perhaps I could change the hint to something like, "Nia 'Kelan is initially unaware of Aeryn's presence", not giving the player any kind of idea about the six hex issue, etc. That way, the average player will, even if he's following the eastern path northward, trigger the beginning of the battle while he's still fairly close to the main Wose forces. What do you guys think?
That last idea looks best to me, it would say nothing in either direction, the player is guaranteed to trigger the event, and after that, the real battle beginns.

Another idea:
It feels a bit wierd that the clock jumps. So maybe, it would be better to set the daytime constantly to sunset while Aeryn wanders around, and start the daytime cycle, once he triggers the event. I don't know if that is possible. I'm no WML expert myself, so I'm probably suggesting something you've been wanting to do all the time but couldn't do due to WML limitations...
I'm a reciever!
opensourcejunkie

CMaster wrote:Sorry, I took so long to respond :(
It's cool; I know what it's like to be busy in RL.
CMaster wrote:Yeah, I noticed that there was no technical(!) tomato surprise, and I knew what you had been trying to do when I noticed the jumping of the clock. Trouble is, that it feels like one anyway.
It feels a bit wierd that the clock jumps. So maybe, it would be better to set the daytime constantly to sunset while Aeryn wanders around, and start the daytime cycle, once he triggers the event. I don't know if that is possible. I'm no WML expert myself, so I'm probably suggesting something you've been wanting to do all the time but couldn't do due to WML limitations...
Hey, that's a great idea. As it turns out, with the advent of 1.6, I should be able to do just that. I'll throw that into the upcoming bugfix release.
CMaster wrote:
opensourcejunkie wrote:Perhaps I could change the hint to something like, "Nia 'Kelan is initially unaware of Aeryn's presence", not giving the player any kind of idea about the six hex issue, etc. That way, the average player will, even if he's following the eastern path northward, trigger the beginning of the battle while he's still fairly close to the main Wose forces. What do you guys think?
That last idea looks best to me, it would say nothing in either direction, the player is guaranteed to trigger the event, and after that, the real battle beginns.
Absolutely. I'll change that for the bugfix release.
Exia wrote:hehe i found that pretty amusing, my sister died in the first scenario so i quit. I didnt really give much thought on that but you could make it so that the orcs sent an assassin and he got into the castle, then he comes out wounded but it seems like he failed but later you find out your sister is dead.
Hmm, an assassin. My first thought when you wrote that was "why would 'Kelan send an assassin to take out some random mage in a backwoods town, when it's about to be overrun anyway". As I was thinking about it, though, perhaps I could create some sort of a backstory/history between Nia 'Kelan and Karah that gets revealed later on.

My initial thoughts are these:
Spoiler:
I'll have to think through it some more.
--OSJ
opensourcejunkie

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.11.3

Okay, the next bugfix release is out. In it I fixed scenario 2's lighting issue (they now turn on and off properly), and I finally put something on the isle that makes finding the ice bridge worthwhile. Props to anyone who can actually get the isle to work; it's functionality is a little obscure.

I also fixed the objectives in scenario 11, making the hint equally obscure (which in this case is a good thing). I tried to replicate the error mentioned by frode, but I couldn't. To make things worse, the code that should have prevented such a crash was already in place, and functional. So I don't know how an invalid location such as 0,0 could have slipped through. Nonetheless, I put in an extra layer of error-checking, so if you get the chance frode, could you check and see if the error still comes up? Thanks.

Equally fruitless was my attempt to replicate Pariah's map error on my brother's computer, so that hasn't been fixed for this bugfix. I am becoming increasingly convinced that it's a conflict with other add-on WML, since it seems to be specific to his machine.

Finally, I didn't implement CMaster's recent suggestion about the daylight cycle of scenario 11, simply because I forgot to until just now (too...tired...) I'll have to push that off for the next release.
--OSJ