Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ebo

Post by ebo »

It would be nice if you could update the campaign so it can just be extracted to the new Campaigns folder.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

revision 9. No new scenarios, but I have balanced 2 and 3, and also converted it to the standard campaign format.

with scenario 1, it doesn't matter if you only have Malakar, as you can recruit slaves cheaply in the next level. Also, it is the same whether it is on easy, normal, or hard. Also, scenario 1 is supposed to be a 'test your mettle' scenario. Also, there is readily avaliable healing, and your slaves outnumber the horsemen 4 to 1.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I've added scenario 11 to this. Can anyone tell me if it works, because it is very WML-heavy? It runs, but I'm not sure about if winning it works right, as I can't. Circon, can you test if this is balanced? thanks

Circon

Post by Circon »

Haven't gotten quite that far yet. Will test.

The sea levels are fairly decent. However, on Landfall, I REALLY REALLY hated the demon story.
"Every 666 years"
is absolutely not Wesnothish. It's out of the Book of Revelations, and is part of the Christian mythology. (Don't get into the flamewar on whether or not Christianity is a myth here, please.)
The "Demons" are horrid.
a) They're plastic
b) They're Charizard
c) They're generally stupid-looking and not scary enough to *be* demons
d) I feel they're unWesnothish.

The random appearing of powerful units is a nice touch though. They're worth decent exp, but fairly risky, so I'd prefer if you could edit the storyline. Off the top of my head...
"This island is said to be haunted by thunder spirits. In bad weather, they may appear in a flash of lightning, causing widespread havoc and ruination."
Dave might veto this, however, but it seems he also disliked the "demons" idea...

Nice touch on the allying orcs and humans in "The Drake Escape".

Underground- Somehow I get a very strong sense of deja vu upon opening those chests. Did you pinch them from me? Also, they all contain the same amount of gold.
It's a bit too hard on Easy level, what with weakness to Thunderers and no way to combat them effectively, plus the clogged passages.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote: The sea levels are fairly decent. However, on Landfall, I REALLY REALLY hated the demon story.
"Every 666 years"
is absolutely not Wesnothish. It's out of the Book of Revelations,
Precisely.
Circon wrote: and is part of the Christian mythology. (Don't get into the flamewar on whether or not Christianity is a myth here, please.)
If you don't want to start a flame war, and you know what you said is potentially going to start that, why talk about 'Christian mythology'? You could just have easily used a less inflammatory phrasing, such as "part of Christian belief" or "part of the Christian faith".
Circon wrote: "This island is said to be haunted by thunder spirits. In bad weather, they may appear in a flash of lightning, causing widespread havoc and ruination."
Dave might veto this, however, but it seems he also disliked the "demons" idea...
If MadMax wants to put this or his 'demon' storyline in his user-made campaign, I can't and wouldn't "veto" it. Whether it makes it into the official version of the game is another story, of course.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I agree with you both. I think thunder spirits would be good. But, there would have to be a source. I am thinking an evil wizard, who you would fight in 14, instead of a gate to hell. Also, I did pinch the chests from Inside the Tower (check the IDs), but it would be easy to code a random amount of gold. Also, fmunoz drew the demons. But I would still need graphics for a minor thunder spirit, thunder spirit, and major thunder spirit. Dave, even if you do approve of this going into CVS someday, I would prefer you wait until Neoriceisgood gets back, so I could get his word. Also, I would like your word on thunder spirits, as I am hoping to get this into CVS sometime. Circon, to handle Thunderers, you need Warriors, Guards, and Workers. Fighters and Ulfserkers die to Burners and Mages.

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Here's scenario 12. Note: the enemy is EXACTLY the same as you, and is not affected by difficulty level. The enemy gets as much gold and the same units as you have, you cannot recall (the rockfall), and the sole factor in the scenario is whether the human or AI plays better.

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Here's scenario 13. NEEDS PLAYTESTING. I have also added EP's music and improved scenarios 1 and 12.

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

How does one install it into 0.7.10? You should add a simple readme file with explanations.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

torangan wrote:How does one install it into 0.7.10? You should add a simple readme file with explanations.
Definitely. I've tried doing all kinds of stuff(I successfully downloaded it eventually) but I can't get it to show up.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I've added the Thunder Spirits and scenario 14. It also has a readme and a makefile.

Elvish_Pillager

I'm playing in Hard mode, and I've gotten to Blue River. Caravan is ridiculously easy, as Malakar can just go and kill the caravan with no opposition. Also, I think the characters need better death messages.

In Blue River, the assassin should show up immediately, instead of after a few turns. Waiting a few turns is just a pointless nuisance.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

In Caravan, I think I'll put a hero ahead of Malakar so he cannot charge immediately. However, I do want Caravan to be easy, because Blue River is so hard. In Blue River, the Elves have been chasing him for a while. Also, his delayed arrival is intended to throw you off. After seeing the mission objectives at the start when you only have to kill the human leader, you are probably inclined to consolidate your forces to the West. A few turns later, you learn that you have to kill the Elves too, and your units are probably in a bad position to do it. Just because you have a lot of gold, don't think the campaign is too easy, and don't waste it on one or two levels, as you WILL need that gold in the later levels.
Elvish Pillager wrote: Also, I think the characters need better death messages.
Got any ideas? P.S. do you like your music where it is?

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Anyway, here's scenario 15. I have inserted the animated gate from jzaun's campaign and the Hero. I have also changed the storyline:

15. The party returns to their landing site, but finds it overrun by thugs. Malakar must kill them.
16. The navy blockades the island. Malakar must break it.
17. Malakar lands on Wesnoth, and must attack the city of Somona.
18. An end sequence, showing Malakar entering his castle. At least it appears so, until an assassin shows up. Malakar must kill the assassin and make it to his throne.

EDIT:
Revisions 13 and 14 came with a defective readme (for Mac OS X). Here is the correct way to install it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Control-click on the Battle for Wesnoth icon and select Show Package Contents.
-Open Contents->Resources->data->campaigns
-Move the file Flight_Freedom.cfg and the folder Flight_Freedom to the campaigns folder

Elvish_Pillager

MadMax wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: Also, I think the characters need better death messages.
Got any ideas? P.S. do you like your music where it is?
"No! Now the drakes will be enslaved again!" or something along those lines for Malakar.

I like the music where it is.

And if the assassin in Blue River is intended to throw you off, it doesn't work. You can just load your save.