Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Sly wrote: I picked it with a Revenant. I think that Elvish Fighter line can also pick it up
Yeah the Elvish Fighter line can pick it up in addition Death Barons and Death Knights can pick it up but I wonder why SM made it so Deathblades can't pick it up...
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

It seems that if the Extended Era is installed that the Chaos Missle attack icon and some unit graphics from Extended Era are being used rather than the ones from IFtU

In addition it seems that whenever any Warrior Spirits, Elvish Ancestors or Elvish Forefathers get damaged they are damaged silently (meaning no damage numbers are flying over their heads)...

Also there seems to be a little glitch on the scenario 'Innuendo' whenever you free the Sky Drake or Troll Whelp if I have a unit keep stepping on the hex they used to be addditional Sky Drakes or Troll Whelps can be spawned...
Last edited by Espreon on February 16th, 2008, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Glass Pearl Player wrote:I'm playing with revision 23515 and IftU version 0.10.0. There appears to be a bug in scenario 2 A Real Confrontation: On turn 3, I get two pieces of the intended chatter, and then an "error: invalid side(33) found in unit definition". It could be that you got the order of arguments for the LOYAL_UNIT macro wrong, it's {LOYAL_UNIT TYPE DESCRIPTION USER_DESCRIPTION SIDE X Y}.
The offending WML code starts at line 320 in the scenario file, hope that helps.
yeah, hit that too. I am really wondering how everybody else got past that point ...
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Maybe I'm not playing the latest version, but on hardest difficult in Crossfire
I lost after:
-killing the loyalist leader
some of his troops headed west towards the undead and bandits
-bandits kill the undead leader and troops
-I kill the bandit leader(with a ghost) and in the ensuing dialog I let him live in return for the gold and ring. There is a dialog to the effect who should wear it, but no decision is taken, instead I am asked what the ghost that killed him should advance to. After that the bandits dissapear from the map
-An lv3 loyalist demon is left, who is quickly surrounded and killed.
So there are no opponents left, but I am not awarded the victory. So
I keep collecting villages until turns run out, at which point I get a message you are defeated(by whom?) without the possibility of a replay.
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

Glass Pearl Player wrote:I'm playing with revision 23515 and IftU version 0.10.0. There appears to be a bug in scenario 2 A Real Confrontation: On turn 3, I get two pieces of the intended chatter, and then an "error: invalid side(33) found in unit definition". It could be that you got the order of arguments for the LOYAL_UNIT macro wrong, it's {LOYAL_UNIT TYPE DESCRIPTION USER_DESCRIPTION SIDE X Y}.
The offending WML code starts at line 320 in the scenario file, hope that helps.
sorry - I'm new to the game and board.
What exactly go I have to do to fix this?
Thx for helping!
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Hi
There seems to be some problem in the scenario Moon Valley, when the bodyguards spawn (when one of your units gets close to the main keep). After the orc sovereign speaks, I get "Error while playing the game: game_error: invalid side(11) found in unit definition" and Wesnoth returns to the main menu (I am using 1.3.16). While I don't know WML, I decided to have a look at the scenario file and the save file. In the scenario file, the relevant lines look like this:
{LOYAL_UNIT 3 (Orcish Crossbowman) 13 11 Vagkar ( _ "Vagkar")}
which looks fine. The only difference as opposed to scenario 2 (where the two demons spawn) is that the names of the units are not in brackets (and I did not have any problems with scenario 2, though I was still using 1.3.15 back then). However, in the save file, it looks like this:
[unit]
description="Orcish Crossbowman"
side="11"
type="3"
user_description="13"
x="Vagkar"
y=_ "Vagkar"
[modifications]
[trait]
#textdomain wesnoth
description=_ "Zero upkeep"
female_name=_ "female^loyal"
id="loyal"
male_name=_ "loyal"
[effect]
apply_to="loyal"
[/effect]
[/trait]
[/modifications]
[/unit]
So I guess the formatting in the scenario file is wrong. I'll try editing the save file manually later.

Hm, in the cfg of scenario 4, the "spawn-lines" look different. Everything in that scenario worked fine in 1.3.16. And as a last note, I just noticed I can't even load the save at the beginning of scenario 2 (saved in 1.3.15) now that I'm using 1.3.16 because of some problem with the terrain (I can post the exact error message if it would be of any help and is not already known).

edit: After some edits to the savefile and downloading/utilizing gzip, it works.

edit2: Forgot to mention: The campaign is fantastic so far! :)
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Something else I just noticed: Is it intentional that Elvish Fighters can't advance to Guards and Scouts can't advance to Horsemen anymore after a few scenarios? My new recruits don't have that option available (perhaps since new recruits became more expensive?).
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Hm, same problem with the scenario "Source of Light" (#10), right at the beginning.

edit: and I guess it's probably not a good idea to update to a newer version while playing a campaign... IftU doesn't work at all with 1.3.18 ;)
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

I was about to playtest my way back through the campaign when I ran into this error: "Unknown scenario: '01_Border_Patrol'

Wesnoth 1.3.18 and campaign version 0.10.0.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I have read most of your bug reports. Some of them I have already fixed during vacation. Others I didn't. I got access to a new version of Wesnoth (since 1.3.13+SVN) just today, so I can't promise when I will publish a new version of this campaign.

HINT: My birthday is on February 27th, and I'll possibly publish a big surprise.

EDIT: the amount of work to make it work with the latest version will be horrible. Please stand-by, people. For now I'll release a preview version for those who still have 1.3.14 installed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sjl

Post by sjl »

In case it's any use, the full output under 1.3.18 is as follows:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.3.18
Started on Thu Feb 21 17:04:30 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
set locale to ''
set locale to ''
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 217
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 15442
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 73055
20080221 17:04:41 error config: symbol 'INCLUDE_LOCAL' will cause a recursive macro call at /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/units/alien-kagthanii.cfg:68 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:139 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:165
20080221 17:04:41 error config: error reading usermade add-on '/home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown'
20080221 17:04:41 error general: The following add-on(s) had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown
ERROR DETAILS:
^symbol 'INCLUDE_LOCAL' will cause a recursive macro call at /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/units/alien-kagthanii.cfg:68 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:139 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:165
^Missing closing tag for tag defense at /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/units/alien-kagthanii.cfg:39 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:139 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:165 at /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/units/alien-kagthanii.cfg:49 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:139 included from /home/steven/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown/_main.cfg:165
^
20080221 17:05:03 error general: Unknown scenario: '01_Border_Patrol'
Writer of "Capturing Mar'Than" - see the thread at:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 750#282750
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

http://shadowm2006.sitesled.com/Invasio ... .0.tar.bz2

Use at your own risk or if you want to replace me in maintenance (but please, before replacing me completely, contact me).

Worked with 1.3.14+svn, a revision close to 1.3.15 tag.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Some quick feedback:
Face your fate: 2000 gold is way over the top. You can go on recruiting 12 units per turn for quite some time. By the time the boss arrives, half of the map is covered by your own units. And concerning the boss himself: He may be very powerful, but some waves of ghosts will kill him easily (and if you got some wraiths by that time, he's really screwed). Even without the undead, you can easily delay him for just like forever... surround him with dwarvish fighters and keep a lot of them in reserve. He doesn't kill a fighter in one turn, so just replace them and heal the wounded... only problem is, there seems to be no other way to end the scenario than getting Analia killed, else I'm missing it.
But it's a cool level otherwise (like about the whole rest of the campaign so far :wink: ), so I'd suggest lowering the amount of gold you receive or majorly increasing the amount of enemies that spawn (after all, the demons should be swarming the defenders... it was the other way round in my game)

edit: The assault commander didn't even attack ghosts on his own (pretty stupid, as his arcane attack would annihilate them while taking only minimal damage), so you could let that level go on forever (the spawning demons won't be able to compensate healing in villages, especially once your units level up).
I did not find the void armor, but I guess with the void armor, the chainmail, the strength, berserk and drain potions and the speed ring given to Galas, you could take on most levels with him alone. Maybe some limitations would be good, like 2 or 3 items per hero. Ruling out certain combinations (such as the drainserker, or both armors on one hero, if that is possible) might be good as well to avoid overpowering single heroes.
delirium

Post by delirium »

You forgot that the boss lives again after killing him. It is impossible to kill him. He reincarnates. Eventually you will die. And, when he dies the first time, your control over undead units is over. Dwarvish fighters and thunderers do nothing to him.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Yes, but like I already wrote, you can surround him with fighters, let him wound one per round (he does not kill them in one round), then replace the fighter with a fresh one and heal the wounded in a village (and you have more than enough fighters to go on with this forever). For me, there was no feeling of being overwhelmed, there were like 5-10 of my units versus one of the demons. The spawning demons (once you have killed all of the previous wave) are not enough to create real pressure. Eventually, the fighters will even level up...

So yes, you cannot win, but the attacks do not feel like a threat and if you are not careless, you can play this level forever. Could be made harder, imho :wink: