Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Wayirr wrote: October 26th, 2020, 12:21 am Somebody has uploaded version of Age of Tentacles 0.9.0 to 1.14 addon server, who wasn't me.
But judging by diff it's older than what I have on my computer, even though my latest version was 0.8.x.
My latest change was in Sep 25 2017

If, whoever it was, was coming from this topic, why they didn't contact me first? And I would like to know if they have any plans to maintain and expand the addon or not.
If your add-on was hijacked, I suggest contacting one of the moderators or admins of the add-on server to restore your ownership.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

If your add-on was hijacked, I suggest contacting one of the moderators or admins of the add-on server to restore your ownership.
It's kinda my fault that I did not update it on the addon server for a while and somebody though that it was abandoned, so I wanted to contact whoever it was first directly.

P.S. Somebody has removed the addon, whenever it was a moderator or original uploader, I do not know. I have uploaded my version now.
egallager

Post by egallager »

I recently took over "A Little Adventure" (which was abandoned) and am now working on porting "Saving Elensefar", "The Earth's Gut" from 1.12 to 1.14, and also intend to port "The Unstoppable Legion" and "The War of Terrador" from older versions to 1.14 as well. Any offers of help and requests to port other abandoned add-ons are welcome!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd love to see Rise of the Elementalist. :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

egallager wrote: November 19th, 2020, 9:13 pm I recently took over "A Little Adventure" (which was abandoned) and am now working on porting "Saving Elensefar", "The Earth's Gut" from 1.12 to 1.14, and also intend to port "The Unstoppable Legion" and "The War of Terrador" from older versions to 1.14 as well. Any offers of help and requests to port other abandoned add-ons are welcome!
I shall help out if you need it. Please do add "Fire Forged Friends" to your list of porting/completing/maintaining.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
InfernalGuardian

Post by InfernalGuardian »

Hi so im not experienced at all in coding, and am confused by it, but am looking at possibly trying to port Rise Of The Elementalist to 1.14.14. Is there anyway I can do it without going hardcore coder style? I would try to maintain it as well.
Usually found on my own, cause im alone.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

InfernalGuardian wrote: November 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm Hi so im not experienced at all in coding, and am confused by it, but am looking at possibly trying to port Rise Of The Elementalist to 1.14.14. Is there anyway I can do it without going hardcore coder style? I would try to maintain it as well.
You can write complex, fun scenarios without intricate WML, by the way.

I suggest you write a short, simple 2- or 3-scenario campaign, and learn about WML. If you enjoy the process, try to figure-out a few things you don't understand, like how to make a custom trait or a custom unit. The WML Workshop is a great resource for that.

If you can't figure-out how to make a small, simple campaign, you might struggle to port a campaign, because porting a campaign would be that hard or harder, in my opinion.

At first glance, WML seemed hard to me, but after a while it started making sense. I suggest you try it. You might find yourself with a new hobby.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I don't think it was the question.

I would say it heavily depend on what is used in this campaign.
Porting from 1.12 to 1.14 is not horribly difficult.
The first thing would be to launch 1.12 version of the add-on on 1.14 and take a look at the error messages. Then try to solve them 1 by 1.
I thought there was a list of commands that got deprecated btw 1.12 and 1.14 but I cannot find it :/
egallager

Post by egallager »

lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm I don't think it was the question.

The first thing would be to launch 1.12 version of the add-on on 1.14 and take a look at the error messages. Then try to solve them 1 by 1.
My first step is usually just to run wmllint on the add-on first, and then proceed as you mentioned...
I thought there was a list of commands that got deprecated btw 1.12 and 1.14 but I cannot find it :/
Here is the link: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47614
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm Porting from 1.12 to 1.14 is not horribly difficult.
Earlier Pentarctagon wrote...
Pentarctagon wrote: October 13th, 2019, 6:41 am I would say learn writing your own campaign first. There were a lot of changes between 1.12 and 1.14, so trying to work through those while also having to read someone else's code could end up very frustrating.
I think that's good advice, especially for someone who stated that they were confused by coding.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

egallager wrote: November 26th, 2020, 4:14 pm
lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm I thought there was a list of commands that got deprecated btw 1.12 and 1.14 but I cannot find it :/
Here is the link: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47614
Thank you
Helmet wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:41 pm
lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm Porting from 1.12 to 1.14 is not horribly difficult.
Earlier Pentarctagon wrote...
Pentarctagon wrote: October 13th, 2019, 6:41 am I would say learn writing your own campaign first. There were a lot of changes between 1.12 and 1.14, so trying to work through those while also having to read someone else's code could end up very frustrating.
I think that's good advice, especially for someone who stated that they were confused by coding.
Well, beginning with writing your own campaign might indeed be a good practice before trying to port one, but I don't think it is require if you only have to replace deprecated WML commands.
InfernalGuardian

lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm "I don't think it was the question.

The first thing would be to launch 1.12 version of the add-on on 1.14 and take a look at the error messages. Then try to solve them 1 by 1. "

Rise Of The Elementalist is not on 1.14.14 so how would I do that? I have no experience with WML or anything related to that.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

InfernalGuardian wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:48 pm
lhybrideur wrote: November 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm "I don't think it was the question.

The first thing would be to launch 1.12 version of the add-on on 1.14 and take a look at the error messages. Then try to solve them 1 by 1. "
Rise Of The Elementalist is not on 1.14.14 so how would I do that? I have no experience with WML or anything related to that.
If you already have 1.12 version on your computer, simply copy-paste the Rise of the Elementalist folder from 1.12 add-on folder to 1.14 add-on folder.
Otherwise, download it here http://addon.wesnoth.org/1.12/ and paste it in the 1.14 add-on folder.
Then debug the campaign:
1) Launch Wesnoth and start the campaign.
It will try to compile the campaign and will most probably fail, giving you an error code and more details about the error.
You can also find this back in the log.
2) Solve this error by modifying the code of the campaign
3) Repeat 1 and 2 until there is no more error appearing
4) Play the campaign to verify there are no "hidden" errors.
5) Publish it onto 1.14 add-on server. You will need to add the server.pbl file to do so (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/PblWML)
InfernalGuardian

That would be a problem then seeing as how I'm a mobile player but am planning on moving to computer.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Good news, Rise of the Elementalist seems to load on wesnoth 1.14
Bad news, you'll have to play it to see what is broken. There were some deprecated warnings which are expected, but it also warned about missing ai_aspects. That might or might not affect the play logic.

Edit: I don't know if you can do this on mobile. But if you set the port to :15007, then you'll be able to download Rise of the Elementalist from within wesnoth.
Click on Add-ons, and add :15007 to the end of the address. The full address would look like this:
add-ons.wesnoth.org:15007