Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mythological
Inactive Developer

Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Mythological »

Throughout the development of BfW a lot of attempts to create user made campaigns were made. Some of the campaigns are completed, maintained by their creators and the players can download them from the add-on server and play them. The best of them, by the opinion of the developer team, are even included into mainline.

But there are other, less fortunate campaigns that were never completed. Some others were completed, but they haven't been updated for the current versions of BfW. Those campaigns have generally been abandoned by their creators ( who have more important things going on in their lives ) and anyone willing can take over some of them and maintain them . This means you can do pretty much whatever you want with it - complete it if unfinished, even if it is finished you can extend it by adding scenarios, add/remove any scenario, edit scenarios, units, images e.t.c. at your discretion. If you are new, and you want to contribute to the game by creating user made campaigns, it might be good for you to start by working on one of the abandoned campaigns instead of starting a new one, because making a good campaign out of scratch is a difficult job - it requires good techical knowledge of WML and of the directory structure, as well as a lot of creativity and time. If you decide to take one of this campaigns, it would be courteous to post in this thread informing everyone about it.

How to get the files ? Most of the campaigns in question are available on the old 1.0 add-on server. If you want to connect to it, start wesnoth, click "get add-ons" and type campaigns.wesnoth.org:15002 in the next window that has the address. But beware - doing this will probably change your default port address, so next time you want to connect to the default campaign server you will have to use campaigns.wesnoth.org:15004 for wesnoth 1.2 and campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003 for wesnoth 1.3. But, for some of them, there are more recent versions than the ones on the 1.0 server. If you want to check for the latest version, get it ( if any ) or if you are unable to access the 1.0 add on server, PM WizardMagus, tashi or me

EDIT: All campaigns from 1.2 and onwards can be more conveniently downloaded from http://add-ons.wesnoth.org. -zookeeper

Edit2: See here for a single list of add-ons available for porting.
Last edited by Mythological on August 8th, 2007, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For anyone who is interested in working on and completing an abandoned campaign, it may seem daunting, but like Mythological has said, it gives you a base to start from and may prove easier than creating your own. Thus said, we're making this even easier by going through and sorting out which campaigns are being maintained currently, which ones are on their way to being lost, and the status of completetion of these campaigns. My part in this is that I am playtesting/working through the campaigns to look for bugs/problems/issues and to evaluate where the campaign is at. That being said, I have notes on the following campaigns.

3 Tests of An Undead Man
A Gryphon's Tale
Elves and Wose
Return of the Legion
The North Wind

I will be adding more to this seemingly short list as I get more done. Hopefully this will make the process easier, and if you want to pick up any of these campaigns, pm/email me and I will send you my notes. Or if you just have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Hope that helps!
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

There was an attempt to convert Elves and Wose into a MP campaign. The files that neophile worked on are probably still available on the forums, somewhere. It would still need converting to 1.3+, among other things.

Wasn't The North Wind just one scenario? (almost like my favourite MP campaign :P)

3 Tests of an Undead Man - is that really worth resurrecting? I vote for R.I.P. :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yeah, the North Wind was just one scenario but so many people liked it we're going to try and see if we can get someone to save it.

As to Elves and Woses, I saw that as well, that's up to whoever picks it up and wants to work with it. It's mostly complete though, it just needs coding to 1.3 like you said.

3 Tests of An Undead Man... :roll: will probably die, the creator wanted to delete it right after he created it, but couldn't, so yes, we'll probably just let that one go.
WizardMagus

Post by WizardMagus »

Tashi and I had already decided to get rid of 3 Tests. It is not worth keeping.

Incidentally, I think we should limit posting on this thread to strictly campaign listings. That or ask a moderator to clean it up later. The non-sticky thread is where the planning is going down.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Return of the Legions

Post by Mythological »

Return of the Legions

Credits
Author : Zookeeper
Maintainer : none

Status
Latest version : 0.2.5
Last updated on : 20.11.2006
Compatible with BfW 1.2
Incomplete, 8 completed scenarios, all of them playable
About 1/3 complete, says the author

Description
The noble elf Nelayin is sent by the Elven Council to keep an eye on their unsuspecting human allies, for whom the elves suspect that they are up to no good

Comments
The campaign has some innovative WML
The creator - Zookeeper has a planned storyline
and he is willing to help the new maintainer in the work

File location
1.2 add-on server
You can download it here
Size : 1490 KB

Never say never
Mythological
Inactive Developer

A New Threat

Post by Mythological »

A New Threat

Credits
Creators: Assassin, Nikita ( ILikeProgramming )
Maintainer: none

Status
Latest version: 0.5.2
Campaign last updated: 13.06.2007
Compatible with BfW 1.0
Incomplete, 5 playable scenarios

Description
Lead a group of dark elves against an invading force of dwarves.

Comments
The campaign has a complete set of graphics.
The factions are completely developed and newer, balanced versions of the units can be taken from the Extended era.
Nikita considers that there is not enough scenario variety

File Location
Contact ILikeProgramming
Size: 1262 KB

Never say never
tashi

Post by tashi »

Let's please leave this for the actual campaigns announcements and put the discussions in the Abandoned Campaign forum

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Gryphon’s Tale
By Ringcaat
Joined 2004-Last Heard From in Sept 2006

Version
336 kb

Story
Follow the coming of age of a young female gryphon and her struggle with leadership and the defense of her homeland.

Notes
-Misspellings in Opening Sequence
-The Gryphons’ and Zolphas’ attacks are outdated. They use short(from the days of short and long) while all other units are using melee and ranged. This creates serious play issues as they cannot retaliate to melee attacks and can hit with their attacks with no retaliation. Mainly, it’s bad for the player, not the AI.
-In Orcish Attack, the sequence of dialogue if you manage to kill the three orc chieftains explains that you should not have been able to do so, as they have as much gold as you apiece blah blah blah. So apparently, there’s some surrender dialogue and some such that explains the segway into the next scenario….but….I missed it. Man, it is rough being awesome.

Scenarios
Capture the Flag
Zolpha Hunt
Canyon Race
Alpha Ceremony
Orcish Attack
Orcish Prison
The Trainer
-Cannot recruit any units, though dialogue suggests that you should be able to recruit grunts
-AI clusters units to northeast of keep, leaving leader undefended…Easy kill with gryphons.
The Necromancers-Error(see below)

Overall
Judging from forum posts and notes, this campaign has about 14 scenarios, with two branching paths and should be completed as far as material goes. However, when you get to the Necromancers scenario, screen reads “Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type ‘Orcish Shaman’”
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The North Wind
By Aelius
Still active

Version
544kb

Story
During the reign of Konrad II, while fighting the undead hordes, the orcs are stirring in the north and the now aged Deoran is sent with his personal troops to reinforce the borders and combat this threat.

Notes
-Opening sequence misspelling. Should be hours instead of house
-Deoran needs to be updated, he still uses short.

Scenarios
Whisperings in the North

Overall
Only consists of one scenario, the idea is good but the project was abandoned rather quickly. Worth saving if someone follows the ideas of the author.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Get the Orcish Shaman units (I have a copy), change all short/long to melee/ranged, and run it through wmllint and Gryphon's Tale should work again.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Tom of wesnoth

Re: A New Threat

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Should not of posted that.
Last edited by Tom of wesnoth on October 11th, 2007, 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Dveman115

Re: Return of the Legions

Post by Dveman115 »

Mythological wrote:Return of the Legions

Credits
Author : Zookeeper
Maintainer : none

Status
Latest version : 0.2.5
Last updated on : 20.11.2006
Compatible with BfW 1.2
Incomplete, 8 completed scenarios, all of them playable
About 1/3 complete, says the author

Description
The noble elf Nelayin is sent by the Elven Council to keep an eye on their unsuspecting human allies, for whom the elves suspect that they are up to no good

Comments
The campaign has some innovative WML
The creator - Zookeeper has a planned storyline
and he is willing to help the new maintainer in the work

File location
1.2 add-on server
You can download it here
Size : 1490 KB

I'll take this one over and work on it. I contacted zookeeper about it.
EDIT:Yup, he said I could. He gave me the story and I'll get to work on it as soon as possible. I'll also change the wiki when I have time...
Last edited by Dveman115 on October 12th, 2007, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
genosuke

Post by genosuke »

You can now add The Heist and Invasion of Eliador to the list of abandoned campaigns. Both campaigns are complete and working in 1.3.8.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Can i take over invasion of elidor?
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!