What's your favorite mainline campaign?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of the mainline campaigns do you prefer?

Tale of Two Brothers
2%
The South Guard
2%
Under the Burning Suns
39%
Heir to the Throne
31%
Eastern Invasion
4%
The Rise of Wesnoth
22%

Total votes: 54

saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

Rise of Wesnoth is my vote.

good story, and the scenarios are strong throughout. I particularly enjoy the large battles at the end and so I find it very satisfying conclusion. HttT is very strong but doesn't keep up the pace ~ the horseclans level is quite tedious and frustrating IMHO.

I quite like UTBS but its buggy.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Poor Turin...
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Also I'd like to add that when Son of the Black Eye was still in mainline it was one of my favorite, probably not the top but near it, like 2nd or 3rd. Pounding elves and humans into submission with a Troll can be surprisingly fun.
hey.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Disto wrote:Poor Turin...
Well, I semi voted for him (second place), but the other campaign of his that i played (Saving Elsenfare) was really good, because it introduced two new things, first, being able to choose your next scenario, and second, not being able to recruit all of the time.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I voted for Eastern Invasion, but actually I think the campaigns are about equal, with differant strengths and weakness. HttT has good gameplay but a somewhat cliche story, TroW is generally solid but has some annoying things like that &!#* spider, Eastern Invasion has good scenarios to start but then sort of gives up, the short scenarios I cannot really compare as too short.

Under the Burning Suns. This campaign I did not like. Taken on its own merits, it was as good as the others, but I kept getting the feeling it was based on a novel that had nothing to do with Wesnoth (EDIT: I don't mean a specific novel, just generally a novel). Which would have been alright, except it was claiming to be part of Wesnoth. I was really surprised to see it included in the mainline.
Last edited by Prometheus on May 21st, 2006, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Wow, someone actually voted for EI! :shock:

There you go Turin, we don't all hate it after all, see? :P
hey.
D.F.

Post by D.F. »

1st: it's an ex-aequo here, as The Rise of Wesnoth ad UtBS are both my favourites; UtBS is better for dialogue and atmosphere, but I enjoyed the massive battles of TRoW too.
After I replay them both I'll give my vote :) (If I had to vote now, I'd vote UtBS probably- gotta love the dialogues, plot twists and WML tricks:) )

3rd: HttT, which is very good, but I agree on the last scenarios, they are sometimes boring (while in the other two campagins the last scenarios are often the best of the bunch).

4rth: The South Guard: pretty good, overall. Good for those who want to start, as it's not very long.

5th: EI, probably because of the dialogues and the disappointing ending.
Turin has created two of the best campaigns I've played, the Scepter of Fire and Saving Elensefar, that both have good dialogues and balancing; why not putting those? TSoF should be good for dwarf-lovers, too.
I'd also include Liberty among the starting camps- too bad it doesn't seem to be work for 1.1+.

Two Brothers doesn't count, as it's very short (But it's damn hard on Hard!).
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

first, being able to choose your next scenario,
Doesn't that exist in the Rise of Wesnoth or did that campaign you mentioned pre-date TRoW?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:I'm going to assume that voting for my own is illegal. ;) So...

The South Guard.

BTW, I used my 1337 m0d3r470r 5ki115* to add a poll. Seemed like the thing to do.

*: My 13375p34k sucks. I'm proud of that fact.
You better be proud of it, for in classification of leet speak that is the lowest, noob leet.

I like UTBS for it is very challenging, especially on challenging :D
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

SmokemJags wrote:
Doesn't that exist in the Rise of Wesnoth or did that campaign you mentioned pre-date TRoW?
nope, it exists in Saving Elsenfare (read my post again)
scott

Post by scott »

Both HTTT and TROW let you choose your next scenario, with TROW introducing some non-linear gameplay near the end, while Saving Elensefar appears completely non-linear. I say appears because the realities of resupply and the overall time limit do limit you in the order you play the scenarios. It's mostly non-linear.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

BTW, like most people; I consider EI to be my worst campaign; I made it two years ago. I should probably go back and completely redo most of the scenarios...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:IMHO, Rise of Wesnoth is by far the best of the mainline campaign (and so far the best of all completed campaigns, thought RoTL is certainly looking promising), it has a nice cocktail of great gameplay, great Story and great dialouge.
i totally agree and voted also for that campaign. and not to forget the nice portraits ;)

one campaign i would like to see in the next release is "A new Order", this one got really good ideas and a nice story even with that ending (i wasn't that glad about it) ...

about EI it was my second (or third if you count the tutorial too) campaign i've played. and i liked it until i came to this damn unbeatable part... must be a year ago already... however i wouldn't call it boring or bad.
Disto

Post by Disto »

You can do it in A Seed of Evil too. Well after you've done the first 3.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth