Updated Story of the Wose

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

FWIW I have the same problem as Sharur (though it's turn 14 for me). I'll play it again and try and keep the wanderer out of the fighting and see what happens.

I'm far from a WML expert but I might have a look at it if I get a chance.

I'm using Wesnoth 1.2.0 on Linux, BTW.

I really like the concept behind this campaign and was really disappointed when it crashed. :)
This signature intentionally left blank.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Found the problem. In the wanderer.cfg unit file:

Code: Select all

affects_allies=yes
	affects_self=yes
should be

affect_allies=yes
	affect_self=yes
Incidentally

poisen=slowed
should be

poison=slowed
though that doesn't have anything to do with it crashing.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hmmm. Scratch that. Well, they are definitely problems that need fixing, but I just played the first scenario again and it's still crashing. So there must be something else there that's causing problems as well. I'm stumped now. :(
breversa

Post by breversa »

Hello there,

I've tried SotW just now (BFW 1.2.1 Linux) and encountered no crashes, although I have noticed a few things :

1- green mages level up to wood mages correctly (or is it the contrary ?), but then they don't level up to life mages as they should.

2- the first time I played the Catacombs scenario, I left my leader on the keep and explored the caves with a small party. When the objective told me I had to reach the eastern exit, I thought I was already f*cked up as my leader was so far away, so I loaded an earlier save... but I was already stuck because the water had already risen to high for my leader to cross it.
That really frustrated me and I decided to stop (but I came here to give you feedback nonetheless !).

3- as it has already been stated, more in-scenario speech is needed. Currently, you have very little advice as to WHY you have to achieve your objective (e.g. why run to the eastern exit quickly ? What are the drakes doing on youtr way in the High Plains ? Etc.).
Strangley, the inter-scenario texts are quite good, and some in-battle dialogs as well... but the whole is still lacking those battle objectives explanations.

4- very nice portraits for the leader. :wink:

5- wood/green mages staff attacks are magical. Is that deliberate or not ?

6- I enjoyed the small maps. It's a refreshing breeze compared to apparently so many other (mostly mainline) campaigns.
French translation contributor
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to give up on that regenerates 4 for the wanderer.

breversa, I believe that you win if any unit reaches the eastern exit, not just your leader. Sorry about your frustration.

I'll see what I can do about that game dialog. The general idea about drakes is that back this far, drakes are still wild and think people are good to eat.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
breversa

Post by breversa »

Okay, I'll give a try with a random unit and give you feedback when I'm done.
French translation contributor
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Sorry breversa, that turned out to be an older version.

The behavior makes more sense though. I think I'll restore the behavior.

If you really don't feel like replaying that scenario, use :debug :n to skip it.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I uploaded a new version two days ago.

The general nature of this campaign precludes the typical "no losses" challange, but suggests a different one: no loads throughout the campaign on hard. That's right, not even at scenario start. I haven't done it yet: my last run through used 2 loads.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

two problems: one, the Wose trait 'willow' makes the woses slower in water, not faster... two, on The Catacombs, What's her face, the leader, was killed by an orc and I didn't lose... I hit the exit with a life mage and proceeded onto the catacombs, where she showed back up...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
karsten

Post by karsten »

I have just played through the campaign. This was the most enjoyable campaign that I ever played! (granted, I haven't played that much... :))

The first map was not too much trouble after a second or third try, using the mud guys as chaff and the other units to level, but playing the second one made me give up instantly after turn two or three, seeing how many new drakes got recruited and my casualties for one. Only remembering that the mages have 50% fire resistance made me try that scenario again, quite successful and not that hard to beat by only recruiting mages and recalling the wanderer. Every map had something new to offer and required a certain playstyle that you had to find out first, it made it very exciting to play these.

Some comments:

- When "the beggar" returns again(?), to hand you the scroll, I didn't recognize him. "The who? Have I seen that guy before?" Could be that I wasn't paying attention that much, but maybe he should be emphasized more.
- The tip at the start of the first scenario, "are you going to summon up mud creatures again?", is a bit misleading, isn't it? I haven't seen the mud guys levelups, since I wanted use my other units to gain experience from kills and didn't expect that much, but do they serve any other purpose than being expendable chaff? Their mapmove alone makes them bad, and in the second level they'd be totally useless.
- I wondered about the Fencers, they have weakness against almost every kind of enemy you encounter, I think, so I wondered why they are even in your recall list. But I guess that's how it's supposed to be, isn't it? They defend good and have lots of volleys, and can easily be switched around.
- When you enter The Tunnel, you start with other units than those that you had in The Catacombs, which is a bit odd. But it's a balanced mix, so it's all good, might prevent bad recruiting mistakes from the previous scenario. I especially liked the music here, made this very exciting.
karsten

Post by karsten »

Aww, I just found out that the Woses did have different artwork corresponding to their traits. Too bad that I didn't see it in game, would have been quite interesting. :)
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

If you want to continue on this you should take it to a different thread, but fencers are very useful in certain ways, mostly because of their 'skirmisher' ability, which allows them to move through enemy ZoC (look on the wiki if you need help with what that means) as well as their high defenses that allow them to take less hits (this often gives them time to recover)
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Weeksy wrote:two problems: one, the Wose trait 'willow' makes the woses slower in water, not faster... two, on The Catacombs, What's her face, the leader, was killed by an orc and I didn't lose... I hit the exit with a life mage and proceeded onto the catacombs, where she showed back up...
Weeksy, I've located both of these bugs and they will be fixed in the next release, which is unfortunately taking a bit long to prepare.

Ich, very good commentary. The tip about mudcrawlers isn't about recalling them later, but about recruiting them now. You haven't seen the begger before, but the character has.

Unfortunately, the per-trait artwork of woses was never finished so I couldn't use it. Besides, the game engine doesn't support trait-based artwork anyway.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I have uploaded 0.5 to the campaign server. Hard mode got a little harder.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I have updated and uploaded 0.5.1 so that it is compatible with wesnoth 1.3.12