Music that is going to be removed (1.1.1+svn and later)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Music that is going to be removed (1.1.1+svn and later)

Post by ivanovic »

Hiho everyone!
After adding some new and fantastic pieces of music some old pieces of music are going to be removed. You will find the list over here. Please change your campaigns that are on the server for 1.1.1 and later to not contain the music that is about to be removed. It would also be a good thing, if you directly did switch to the new music system that was introduced in 1.1.1.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I personally like all the music I've heard and am not too happy at the thought of music being removed, although I like the thought of new music being added. More music is better, I'd say, unless you have updated version of some pieces.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

It is a change that will take place. The main reason is that the music team is heading towards a completely different style than these old "techno-like" pieces had. The new music has a by far higher quality and I think it is on par with some of the best commercial game music I did hear.
Believe me, once you heard the new music ingame you can not imagine to use the old one anymore.
catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm skeptical about that, but I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.
toms

Post by toms »

Maybe it´s good to keep the names?
I mean, maybe the music doesn´t fit to the scenario then, but if somebody doesn´t care much about a campaign any more or he is to lazy for updating it, it causes no bugs then.
(Naturally it´s still the better way to choose new music)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the old music are going away. no question.

I mean seriously, it's like art... we have little to no art left from the 0.8 era...
when the new mountains came in there were some voice saying that we should keep the old ones and mix them with the new ones, because more art is always better but
seriously

same thing with music... mixing old and new ones would make the old ones seem sooo bad

better spare them the suffering and finish them right away
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
catwhowalksbyhimself

I still disagree. Art and music are two different things.

But what do I know.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yeah, especially since you admited not listening to the new musics
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I'm just glad you didn't get rid of wesnoth-02.ogg and wesnoth-01, as they are the only music that i use in IoA (mainly because I don't have sound on when playing wesnoth, because the people around me don't want to hear any music most of the time).

However if this music is so good now (which, judging from the old versions which I heard, it is) then I'll be sure to add it to my campaign, thanks for the heads up. :D
catwhowalksbyhimself

yeah, especially since you admited not listening to the new musics
I said no such thing. I said I hadn't heard them yet because I don't have the upcoming version. I'm sure they are good. I'm sure they are better than the original, but since they would be very different pieces of music, that doesn't make them obsolete. I'm not commenting at all on the quality of the new stuff. I'm commenting on the loss of the old stuff, which had nothing at all to do with it. Why can't it be available to anyone who still wants it?

Now if the old pieces were updated and remixed to be more in quality like the others, than sure, remove them. Otherwise, why break a lot of people's campaigns needlessly and remove options already available?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote: Now if the old pieces were updated and remixed to be more in quality like the others, than sure, remove them. Otherwise, why break a lot of people's campaigns needlessly and remove options already available?
It is not possible to have techno style music match more classical and epic music. That is impossible and does not fit. The quality of the music is really bad. And yes, musics and arts are comparable. I am quite sure that you would protest if there were still the old units from 0.4 mixed with the new and great looking ones. The music system is changed. There is no longer "one piece of music is looped for hours". We now have a playlist that can contain many pieces and they are played randomly. This is a real improvement and the old music is, compared to what we have now, crap.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote: Why can't it be available to anyone who still wants it?
It is and always will be.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
catwhowalksbyhimself

It is not possible to have techno style music match more classical and epic music.
Now THAT answers my question.

By the way, I never intended to make such a fuss of this. Sorry, but it got a bit out of hand.
appleide

Post by appleide »

ivanovic wrote:
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote: Now if the old pieces were updated and remixed to be more in quality like the others, than sure, remove them. Otherwise, why break a lot of people's campaigns needlessly and remove options already available?
It is not possible to have techno style music match more classical and epic music. That is impossible and does not fit. The quality of the music is really bad. And yes, musics and arts are comparable. I am quite sure that you would protest if there were still the old units from 0.4 mixed with the new and great looking ones. The music system is changed. There is no longer "one piece of music is looped for hours". We now have a playlist that can contain many pieces and they are played randomly. This is a real improvement and the old music is, compared to what we have now, crap.
Just want to ask... Does the music still change every single turn? (in 1.1.1 it does) It is SO annoying... I was like tapping my feet at the drake music, and suddenly it turned to some Elvish flute.... (Elf music the worst by far... IMHO, hopefully not hurting anyone...)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
scott

Post by scott »

appleide wrote: Just want to ask... Does the music still change every single turn? (in 1.1.1 it does) It is SO annoying... I was like tapping my feet at the drake music, and suddenly it turned to some Elvish flute.... (Elf music the worst by far... IMHO, hopefully not hurting anyone...)
No, that's all gone now. Even the music is gone. You just hear 4 music files in a random playlist. It's about 15 minutes of original music.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.