Mystery Campaign Status?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SmokemJags

Mystery Campaign Status?

Post by SmokemJags » March 5th, 2006, 4:36 am

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/MysteryCampaign
This is a infinitely long "random campaign". You fight a series of scenarios against a enemy chosen randomly from a list of factions. With each successive scenario, the enemies' strength grows in a variety of ways. How many can you complete?
Looking up the old thread
Note that the campaign is ready for posting (it works for me ) after I incorporated patches by ivanovic, ott and my some few tiny custom changes, however due to problems with password resetting I am unable to publish it right now.
Was the last post sometime in late 2005.

So what's the deal, has it been abandoned? I rather enjoyed playing this campaign on older version(doesn't function with 1.1.1)
It's as close as you can get to 'skirmish' mode and still being able to keep your army and leveled units from scenario to scenario.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."

toms

Post by toms » March 5th, 2006, 5:33 am

Yeah.
I also like the mystery campaign, but it becomes boring after a few levels. What about making scenario variations?

And what happened to Merry men of Wesnoth?
It was so funny. With bugs, but cool. I still have it on my PC, but not working any more. :(
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan » March 6th, 2006, 3:25 pm

It's maintained by szopen, what's your problem with it?
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!

szopen

Post by szopen » March 6th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Maintained - weeeell I updated it up to the level it worked with me. I would be happy to give it up to someone else. Did it stop working ?

I have no intention to port it to wesnoth 1.1, however.

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags » March 6th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Did it stop working ?
Yes.
That's where it stopped working.
How come you have no intention to port it over? I like skirmish mode where I can actually keep my army from battle to battle. :(

Is it because 1.1.x is unstable or you just don't like it or...?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."

Disto

Post by Disto » March 6th, 2006, 10:06 pm

SmokemJags wrote:
Did it stop working ?
Yes.
That's where it stopped working.
How come you have no intention to port it over? I like skirmish mode where I can actually keep my army from battle to battle. :(

Is it because 1.1.x is unstable or you just don't like it or...?
OR because its a pile of work.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags » March 6th, 2006, 11:58 pm

See that's what I don't get.
How exactly is it a 'pile of work'?

All the maps are generated randomly, that's not an issue.
The 'scenario' file is a single document about 4 pages worth of code.
Each 'faction' is broken down into about 30 lines each.

It seems to me the reason why it doesn't work in 1.1.1 is because the unit directories got changed and/or renamed, which is why error messages like 'cannot find unit princess' or errors where factions have no recruit tables occur.

I tried tweaking, renaming, and moving files around myself, but I'm no where near good enough with code to have had any success with it.

As seen in the Black Eye Thread:
You need to update the ifdef information to be complient with the 1.1.1 server.

e.g.

Change #ifdef to:

Code: Select all

Code: 

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_SON_OF_THE_BLACK_EYE_UPDATE 
[+units] 
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/units} 
[/units] 
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios} 
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/utils} 
#endif 

Cheers,
bw

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan » March 7th, 2006, 12:05 pm

The problem is that this campaign uses very complex WML and WML is changing rather fast in the unstable branch. So he'd have to follow the development and adapt it for each new version with incompatible changes. This is an amount of work he's simply not willing to put into this particular campaign. Bad luck for you but you could be happy that he made work with 1.0.x after the original maintainer vanished?

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags » March 7th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Yea, gotta be grateful for what we have I suppose.
I moved the old 1.0.2 unit directory into the 1.1.1 folder and that seems to have worked as a temporary fix, though it's probably buggy... I haven't tested it yet.
Thx for the info.

szopen

Post by szopen » March 8th, 2006, 1:43 pm

If you want, you may take over this campaign. Just pm me and I will pm back you password.

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags » March 8th, 2006, 8:52 pm

I got it working on 1.1.1, but I lack the coding skills to debug it. I would if I could, because I really like this campaign idea and have a few improvements in mind.

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan » March 9th, 2006, 1:03 pm

If you ask specific questions in the appropriate forum, I'm sure other users will help you...

zaimoni

Post by zaimoni » April 6th, 2006, 2:29 pm

SmokemJags : are you still planning to work on this?
------
I have also taken a look at getting this to work in 1.1.2. Currently, I have five leaders to replace. Four are character types from Heir To The Throne [Fighter, Elvish Lord, Elder Mage, Princess]. For some reason these pictures are loading as-is.

The fifth [Initiate] appears to be from the Dark Hordes.

Does anyone see a problem with mirroring these units (and their advancement trees) in Mystery Campaign as a quick fix?

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags » April 6th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Does anyone see a problem with mirroring these units (and their advancement trees) in Mystery Campaign as a quick fix?
That's all I did get to it working in 1.1.1, I imagine if you transfer the old directories into 1.1.2a it would also work as a quick fix.

But no I don't intend to plan to work on this beyond that quick fix solution. As was stated here, there is some more complicated than usual WML that I haven't yet worked myself up to yet.
The biggest problem that remains after the quick fix is that the random map generator at the end of a scenario causes the game to crash. You can continuing advancing with your army, but you have to reload the program after every successful mission.

zaimoni

Post by zaimoni » April 6th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Hmm...

In 1.1.2, my main problem (other than mirroring the units) is not the random map generation (which is not crashing in Win2000), but the savefile. As it is, I think I would be able to play it out as long as I don't try to load a saved game.

It's this sort of line that's knocking it out:

side_faction[1]="loyalists"
side_faction[2]="drakes"
side_leader[1]="Sergeant"
side_leader[2]=_ "Drake Warrior"
This is not a valid format for saved array variables, according to the Wiki. The savegame loads, but none of the array variables saved this way are initialized...which does weird things later on.

Documentation on how to correctly set array variables is somewhat sparse. The

name=side_leader[1]
formalism is what's resulting in the above lines.

I'm thinking of looking through the mainline scenarios to see which of them of them use array variables.