Saurian Campaign- The Thelien Attack (Version 1.3.0)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Saurian Campaign- The Thelien Attack (Version 0.9.7)

Post by sergey »

Now Jetto's squad is stronger and closer to the enemy and this scenario doesn't look as desperate as before. However, I still didn't managed to win it. I have attached my savefile up to 21th turn. After that I cheated with the debug mode. Did I made any significant mistakes, or it is just a micromanagement that was not very good? Perhaps I could recruit more mudcralwers, since they have more HP and better resistances, especially the impact resistance. But they have lower defense in a forest and arcane weakness, so I am not sure. Should I help trolls and attack elves earlier? Also not sure, since fighting elves in a forest seems nonsense. I think the previous time I played this scenario I didn't grab villages at all. I just spent all gold and waited until elves attack me, and it was more successfull strategy, as I remember.
TTA-Battle of Thelien Forest-Auto-Save21.gz
(87.52 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
sergey

Post by sergey »

The last scenario was too easy. Please consider updating "Battle of Thelien Forest" map to have less forest and "The Last of the Elves" map to have less swamp. Otherwise it drastically affects the balance. I believe that gameplay and balance should go first, map beauty is not so important.

Thanks for creating this campaign :D
TTA-The Last of the Elves replay.gz
(47.01 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 0.9.8-

1) Balancing fixes to Scenario 6 and 5
2) Scenario 5 map size increased

Enjoy and please send feedback!
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

@sergey- I hope it's easier now, but I don't want to lose the desperate feeling as that is point of this attack.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Final Version

Version 0.9.9

1) Dialogue fixes
2) Incorrect enemy placement in Scenario 5 fixed
3) Wrong portrait image fixes

List of Replays

Attached to the forum post.

Enjoy and please send feedback! :D
Attachments
TTA Replays.zip
(202.74 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Second Final Version

Version 0.9.9.3

1) Added a new concept- 'Quill-Writings', a series of journal entries giving insight to the history of saurians and personal thoughts and feelings of the protagonist.
2) Text fixes
3) Dialogue additions, including more dialogue to improve characterisation of various characters in the game.
4) Slight tweak to Scenario 5 to make it a tad bit easier (Jetto's squad now includes an Orcish Slurbow instead of an Orcish Crossbowman, to make it easier to defeat Ramildur-Imaldur and his forces)

Enjoy and please send feedback! :D
Mirion147

Re: Saurian Campaign- The Thelien Attack (Version 1.0.0)

Post by Mirion147 »

Alright, I just finished the campaign! As far as the plot and storyline, I enjoyed it! I thought it was really cool to see things from the perspective of Inarix! I do have some notes though!

I think it's interesting you played with the fact that Inarix speaks differently from other saurians. Although the wiki still says that Inarix is male, I'm pretty sure I checked in game and it has been changed to female so no contrast there, especially since she should be female as has been noted, obviously.

S1: I thought the idea of having a specific squad to use while your ally provides distraction was pretty cool and an interesting way to start out the campaign. No qualms about this scenario, it went well I think! Note: Kill enemy leader

S2: I like your mention of the Heart Mountains. I believe it to be a very good location for a draken settlement. Again, I think the scenario went well, I was able to recruit which was pretty cool lol, but all in all it was a good scenario, not super easy, not crazy hard. Note: Kill enemy leader

S3: I like that you mixed up the objectives here by adding a moveto objective, especially with the added hardship of only one recruit/recall turn, but it still came along with a kill enemy leader as a required objective. Mudcrawlers eh? That's pretty cool. I believe there's an error in the coding at some point because of the Ambush ability. I can move and catch 2 elves in the forest hexes and nothing happens but if they find me then dialog occurs. Mudcrawlers are so slow...

S4: This scenario is pretty annoying. Especially since the elves have such a high income (which I noticed is quite a trend in this campaign. This map is pretty well set up for a village war. Having elves prioritize villages to try to keep their income strong to recruit their level 2's, while saurians try to dart in and out taking villages away from them while wearing their forces down. Ooh, Jetto, I like this addition. It really does take forever for mudcrawlers to make it across the map, while elvish scouts can come from essentially every angle. Note: kill enemy leader

S5: Troll Shamans? Fair, it's just not 100% that they exist quite yet (though I have a predecessor to the Shaman in my campaign). I have soo much gold to start but it doesn't mean much since I can't get to any defensive location (the island in the middle is such a tease haha.) Again we have the huge income and small village value making it hard to progress through the map (I know this is hard difficulty, but it could be hard in a way besides just running into a brick wall every round lol.) I like that you can control the orcish squad, I didn't realize that was a thing. (maybe add a dialog when Jetto reaches a keep saying that there are no other orcs available to recruit?) It's definitely possible that I'm just bad at the game but I essentially got wiped this scenario lol. All my recalls gone, all my recruits gone. I had to redo it because I didn't use any of my level capped recalls at first, but I couldn't withstand the elvish attack, so the second time I used recalls and was able to finish the scenario with 2 turns to spare and 1 valuable recall alive lol. Note: Kill enemy leaders

S6: Typo I believe: The Thelian" referencing the forest as The Thelian instead of just "Thelian". Wasn't super psyched about starting this scenario with nearly no recall list, with the enemy sides starting with 13+ income, but I went for it. The text suggested to me that the keep was the place to go, but when I got there nothing happened and my allies were nearly defeated (even though I instructed them to be defensive). I would suggest adding a gold drop or at least dialog to the player for reaching the keep as incentive. The second time I played through the scenario I stayed in the north and it worked way better. I was able to win in only 16 turns. Also there's a timing issue with dialog. I killed the brown leader, Ilrin, last and it said "Good! We have felled one of their commandersss", but this was the last commander I killed. Maybe use variables to have the three dialog bits stated when the first, second, and third leader are killed instead? There's bonus gold and carryover in the final scenario. Note: Kill enemy leaders

Epilogue: I would word this sentence differently: "As significant is the agility and swiftness of the huntresses" to be: "As the agility and swiftness is significant of the huntresses". It read incredibly odd upon first read, though it does eventually make sense. Also there is a typo: "...as well as our allies, had thought >ous< to be."

All in all I thought the campaign was fun! But the last two scenarios were really hard in a way that wasn't possible to strategically play around. They just had gold and there was nothing I could do about it and no way I could compete with their power lol I just had to make it work.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 1.1.0 Uploaded on the Wesnoth 1.14 Server
This version contains prose and a few balancing fixes.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 1.2.0 Uploaded on the Wesnoth 1.14 Server
This version contains an Easter Egg in the first scenario that will impact the remaining scenarios somewhat, making gameplay more interesting and potentially easier for the player. (Hint: Keep your loyal units alive)
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 1.3.0 Uploaded on the Wesnoth 1.14 Server
This version contains a new unit, a level 3 advancement of the Fire Wraith to make gameplay more interesting and unique.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Saurian Campaign- The Thelien Attack (Version 1.3.0)

Post by Konrad2 »

S4
The Augurs figuring out how to create Giant Mudcrawlers is mentioned twice in a row. And then again when the scenario starts.

EDIT:
The Fire Elemental has no AMLA macro.

S7
recieved -> received
merecenaries -> mercenaries
I'm uploading my replays here.
hermestrismi

Re: Saurian Campaign- The Thelien Attack (Version 1.3.0)

Post by hermestrismi »

I liked it especially the story . Good work. Do u plan to upload it to 1.16?