A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ford

Re: A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14)

Post by Ford »

Giving the sickle-sword to Abhai in At the Crossroads causes his berserk special to disappear. (I didn't check, but I guess heretics/warmongers would also be affected). Can it be fixed without replaying scenario, or should I just give it to someone else?

Also the elven druid/handmaid in Nightfall starts on the undead side instead of elves' side.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Finally finished the campaign! Epic storyline, epic units. Thank you so much for the thrilling adventure and the great writing. Wish I wasn't so busy, so I could playtest more. The only other issue I ran into was in The Final Age scenario, Hathor's final form died in an attempt to kill Tiamat and it didn't trigger a defeat.

Congrats on the completion of this mega project! Oh and one thing that strangely affected me was the scenario where we fight in a mini diorama-world of Irdya. I played that one late at night and had a weird dream about it afterwards. A very novel concept, it gave me the feeling that the Windsong had tried to become true wardens of the world but just fell short. Telling a story, not just with words but with maps and terrain - quite the accomplishment. Thanks again.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Otdoy wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:43 pm Finally finished the campaign! Epic storyline, epic units. Thank you so much for the thrilling adventure and the great writing. Wish I wasn't so busy, so I could playtest more. The only other issue I ran into was in The Final Age scenario, Hathor's final form died in an attempt to kill Tiamat and it didn't trigger a defeat.

Congrats on the completion of this mega project! Oh and one thing that strangely affected me was the scenario where we fight in a mini diorama-world of Irdya. I played that one late at night and had a weird dream about it afterwards. A very novel concept, it gave me the feeling that the Windsong had tried to become true wardens of the world but just fell short. Telling a story, not just with words but with maps and terrain - quite the accomplishment. Thanks again.
I'm glad you liked it! ^_^
Yep, in my "canon" the Windsong more than once came close to becoming a much greater force than they ended up being - but circumstances were unfavourable to them. As for the map, yep, I actually modelled that entire scenario around it; the first version ended up being colossal, and I had to redesign it entirely to be more playable. And I'm talking about Hiera'Saret as a whole; the map itself had a much bigger version too, with more detailed features (rivers, for example), but it was unplayable ^^''

So, I just uploaded version 1.0.3, and some of you might appreciate that I worked a bit more on balancing some scenarios, which should now be suitably hard at the right moments, but doable.
One big issue I still need working is Dark of the Sun - pt 2's order of events, but I thought the issues listed below were more urgent :P

Code: Select all

Changelog V. 1.0.3
- Scenarios:
	- Tempest: bug which caused one of the obelisks to disappear when reloading (hopefully) shouldn't happen any more; some changes to ally and enemy sides' gold
	- Rage of the Winds: decreased enemy side's gold
	- A Glimpse of the Darkness: decreased enemy side's gold; objectives no longer determine that Kingu must be defeated by Sekmet in particular
	- Storm's Landfall: considerable revisions to enemy sides' gold; some changes to allied sides' gold; Zanami only returns at the start of her own side's turn to avoid being overwhelmed
	- Nightfall: Isilieth now appears on the right side
	- At the Crossroads of Time and Space: Sickle-Sword of Neith should no longer replace the unit's weapon specials
	- Convergence: Sekmet being onscreen when Maat returns should no longer break the scenario
	- The Calm Before the Storm: gold carryover now at 100%, preventing loss of gold
	- The Final Age: corrected bug that made Hathor's death not be a defeat condition

- Units:
	- Replaced Regenerate ability for Vitality in lvl 1 and most lvl 2 Asuri
	- Primeval is now lvl 2 instead of 3
	- Ugallu (lvl 1) no longer has skirmisher
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Great info, very interesting your anecdotes about your original plans for Hiera'Saret.

One last comment I might make, would mostly be about how much of a letdown the Drake faction is to me. They're so easily shot down by cheaper units. For example, I have a feeling that I could have beat Sparks to the Winds with a moderate-sized gang of level 1 Couriers. It's not your level design, it just how underpowered the Drakes are as a whole. I feel that the whole faction could be revised upwards somehow, like with 5% or 10% better defense on all terrain, with +6 regen, and a light skirmishing unit that helps with map control. IMO they are the worst faction in BfW and they lead to boring "one-shot" scenarios, where you beat a massive first wave and then cakewalk to the commander. I realize it's an impractical suggestion, as so many campaigns are balanced for the current state of Drakes. But I thought I'd mention it anyway, as to me they were the only letdown in your campaign.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Otdoy wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:17 pm They're so easily shot down by cheaper units. It's not your level design, it just how underpowered the Drakes are as a whole. I feel that the whole faction could be revised upwards somehow, like with 5% or 10% better defense on all terrain, with +6 regen, and a light skirmishing unit that helps with map control. IMO they are the worst faction in BfW and they lead to boring "one-shot" scenarios, where you beat a massive first wave and then cakewalk to the commander.
OMG I'M SO HAPPY TO FIND SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME :lol: I've been saying for years that drakes are dismayingly easy to beat when they're supposed to be powerful and badass. It doesn't matter that they have a bit more HP than most units of the same level; their vulnerability to pierce (one of the most common damage types, especially among lvl 1 units) and especially their awful defence on every single terrain type makes their (again, only slightly higher) HP and high damage output lose a lot of meaning.
I try to make up for that by sending lvl 2/3 drakes in swarms, and programming them to be quite aggressive; in great numbers, and in daytime especially, they can be terrifying. Then again, I can't send too many high-level drakes at risk of making the scenario too difficult...
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thank you for fixing the sickle-sword, now I've got another bunch of (mostly minor) things to report:

Non-Solariel elves can't take the bow of Neith, neither can Raika (don't know about Maat).

In Realm of Power, Maat is not moved inside the Shard after the event is triggered. So if someone else triggers it, she will be left outside unable to enter.

I got another "<Invalid WML found> unknown conditional wml:[filter_second]" error message after defeating Angra Mazda in War of the Soul.

In Heralds of the Wind the initial objectives say that Abhai can recall dwarves and trolls, which isn't true. They later change to correct after making contact with friendly Aragwaithi forces.

Abhai can recruit (not recall) Windsong units in Fields of Fire, even before Windsong reinforcements actually arive.

It seems that most enemy leaders will just sit in one place and never attack even very weak unis. That includes bosses like Tyrant Apsu. While I don't remember exactly, I think enemy leaders were generally more active earlier in the campaign.

As a side note, I think Fields of Fire may be a bit too easy. I played on normal and my forces completely obliterated the drakes. It would be extremely easy even without Windsong reinforcements. Part of it is probably the fact I was able to recruit Weavers and Scribes, but even without that I don't think I would have much trouble. (On the other side, I've got elvish freedmen from Sparks to the Wind and took time to level them all up so I had a lot more powerful units. Players who didn't do the same would likely find this scenario more difficult.)
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

revansurik wrote: February 24th, 2021, 4:27 pm OMG I'M SO HAPPY TO FIND SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME :lol: I've been saying for years that drakes are dismayingly easy to beat when they're supposed to be powerful and badass.
Yeah what a waste! The faction becomes a bit more useable if you can have Saurians as flankers. But purely Drakes... and when played by the AI .... :doh: