[Complete] International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForPeace

Re: International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Post by ForPeace »

My nomination is:
  • ElderofZion vs mechANIC (round 3) - pretty intense game with a great play by Elder which helped him comeback and win a game despite much unluck
I also add my vote to last round's ElderofZion vs diomed, mentioned by Caritas and Caritas vs Kral (round 3), mentioned by ReNoM.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Looks like there was indeed an agreement regarding which replays were the most enjoyable. With my own secret nominations added (i did not want to manipulate others to vote for what i did), which are draghen vs Horus, Nymmel vs Gravellu, and Caritas vs Yuzir, there are still only 7 entries. The standings are:

3 votes:
round 3, Caritas (rebels) vs Kral (northerners), Scarred Foothills, 33 turns, Russian victory
round 3, draghen (loyalists) vs Horus (drakes), Howling Ghost Badlands, 27 turns, Hungarian Victory
round 6, Nymmel (northerners) vs Gravellu (undead), Swamp of Dread, 50 turns, Hungarian victory

2 votes:
round 6, diomed (drakes) vs ElderofZion (undead), Swamp of Dread, 24 turns, Russian Victory

1 vote:
round 1, Kral (northerners) vs draghen (undead), Ruphus Isle, 18 turns, Italian victory
round 2, Caritas (loyalists) vs Yuzir (rebels), the Freelands, 41 turns, Polish victory
round 3, ElderofZion (undead) vs mechANIC (loyalists), Swamp of Dread, 42 turns, Polish victory

But this is no popularity contest; the opinion is left for the expert jury to form.
Ammazzalepri

Post by Ammazzalepri »

I nominate diomed vs ElderofZion because there happened the overcoming of the drakes vs ud taboo ^_^
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Hm I think I have to vote here for my vote to be taken into account xD I vote for caritas vs yuzir and draghen vs Horus
draghen

Post by draghen »

Indeed, I have to admit that I expected both the diomed vs EoZ and Caritas vs Yuzir matches to be in the final top 3, so I voted for myself! xD
Maybe they just don't have all of the EPIC characteristics, there is not a real Comeback or someone played below his Excellency.

diomed vs EoZ: great players and big event of the tournament. But draghens are P1 vs a picked Undead...
Caritas vs Yuzir: grand knight rise and death is terrific and the game deserves 5 stars for Promotions, but there is not a real uncertainity about the outcome for 41 turns.

My votes are ready, I could also rate these games if they receive more preferences. :)
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

To be honest I don't watched every single game, but the most interresting ones.

I liked a lot Caritas vs Yuzir and I don't agree with Draghen about the uncertainity, the final leader kill race was awesome and luck in the final turns maybe could change the outcome.

I also liked a lot Ammazzalepri vs Horus, mostly because I was surprised by the outcome, till the end I expected a vicktory by Horus, and expected Ammazzalepri's leader dead on the next turn, but then he killed his adversary leader I don't expected that.

The dragen's one was also a great game.

So my votes go for these three games.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

I'll begin watching replays the day after tommorrow.

I take it the nomination for replays was extended?
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

I have begun watching replays, but they are pretty numerous and I lack time during the week so I won't manage to send my verdicts earlier than tomorrow.

@Computer_Player No, these games have been nominated after deadline which was 19 November and unless Horus allows them, they won't be judged by jury.

@Yomar, ElderofZion, Ammazzalepri To avoid further misunderstandings, I hope you are aware that the final decision makes the jury consisting of me, Horus, draghen, diomed and Computer_player and the final list of the games considered the most epic of the whole tournament are the seven ones from this post. I'm writing this because your entries say you might not be aware of that.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
draghen

Post by draghen »

For sure we can report here some others relevant games, even if they don't have the E.P.I.C. parameters asked us by Horus. The ranking of the opponents or the relevance for the final victory of the Round should be mentioned, but they're not so important in this contest!

For example, I found only one bizarre game for now, the Solymos vs Gravellu (Round3).

There are some interesting leaderkill race matches, and I like to call some of them EPIC fail games:

igorbat99 vs Yuzir(w) Round 1
ikomizo vs mortalenemy(w) Round 1
ForPeace(w) vs Sahblabla Round 4
Jarom(w) vs Horus Round 4
draghen(w) vs ReNoM Round 4
Krogen(w) vs vandal Round 5
Sahblabla(w) vs Daire Round 6
Ammazzalepri(w) vs Horus Round 6

An epic fail is when one side is losing, maybe in a not so much epic game, and he realizes that the only chance is an all-in attack against the opponent's leader. Observers can clearly see this path, not based on an obscene luck, but on precise tactical and maths, but they cannot tell it to the players! Ofcourse hitting is important, but more important is carefully using the heavy damage dealers, where to place tank units, where to place quick and skirmisher units, how to reach the enemy keep and recruit there, or force the opponent out of it. Just like in chess problems, victory is mathematically possible, but they cannot see it due to the pressure of tournament and timer! Sometimes there is just this epic fail, sometimes they can make it, and transform a normal match into a memorable one, at least for obs. But these are not chess problems...

There are also some "teaching games", they should be stored in wesnoth archives with a description, for people wanting to learn!
Here what I found:

The diomed vs EoZ of course: a perfect example of how draghens with no saurian buddies should play vs undead, as P1.
The Kral vs draghen and vs Caritas: suffer vs an orcish rush, almost lose, make level 2 and comeback! I love this kind of games, there are some more.
The Horus vs draghen is also memorable, but too much messy for studying!
Ammazzalepri vs Horus: this is also memorable, it's in my top5. Horses worked great, even if vs piercers, but Ammazzalepri always kept a charger at range, just waiting for Horus to place on 40%: it was a leaderkill or be killed situation, finally he cleared his path for his horseman, but then he missed! Great game. Live obs could have enjoyed this very much, it was the closing battle of the tournament, but not many observed it in real time.
The best technical victory is beyond any doubt the craken vs gravellu!

And finally the Caritas vs Yuzir (this is also in my top5): it received many votes after Round 2, but not so many here. This is also a teaching game, it shows how a well played elvish fighters mass is supposed to work vs a good loyalists: it fails! Just like observers predicted, after a long struggle, because fighters are cheap, it does nothing more than feeding the loyalist! I couldn't see a real leaderkill race here, but this is only my opinion.

draghen!
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Here is a teaser of what i will release tomorrow (sorry for being slow with it, probably you will understand my concerns):
Contribution to deliciousness in dual-flavoured pies:
Pies consumed at different locations:
Efficiency of certain non-profit organisations at making pies:
Success rate of independent bakers at making pies:
Complexity of making pies in different software:
ForPeace wrote:I have begun watching replays, but they are pretty numerous and I lack time during the week so I won't manage to send my verdicts earlier than tomorrow.

@Computer_Player No, these games have been nominated after deadline which was 19 November and unless Horus allows them, they won't be judged by jury.

@Yomar, ElderofZion, Ammazzalepri To avoid further misunderstandings, I hope you are aware that the final decision makes the jury consisting of me, Horus, draghen, diomed and Computer_player and the final list of the games considered the most epic of the whole tournament are the seven ones from this post. I'm writing this because your entries say you might not be aware of that.
He speaks truth; the list is closed and the job has been passed to the jury. 2 out of 5 are done with it, we are just waiting for the others. But the way i see it, these are mostly repeated nominations of the same seven anyway.
draghen wrote:For sure we can report here some others relevant games, even if they don't have the E.P.I.C. parameters asked us by Horus. The ranking of the opponents or the relevance for the final victory of the Round should be mentioned, but they're not so important in this contest!

For example, I found only one bizarre game for now, the Solymos vs Gravellu (Round3).

There are some interesting leaderkill race matches, and I like to call some of them EPIC fail games:

igorbat99 vs Yuzir(w) Round 1
ikomizo vs mortalenemy(w) Round 1
ForPeace(w) vs Sahblabla Round 4
Jarom(w) vs Horus Round 4
draghen(w) vs ReNoM Round 4
Krogen(w) vs vandal Round 5
Sahblabla(w) vs Daire Round 6
Ammazzalepri(w) vs Horus Round 6
I remember igorbat99 vs Yuzir well, it was the moment when Italy evened to 3:3 and i started to get more excited about the outcome in the other group; it seemed so plausible then. :D
And the draghen vs ReNoM was such a tense start for a rebels vs drakes; a saurian levelup was expected in turn 7 already, then a singificantly less likely glider levelup followed, and then sacrifices the whole gain for cash... a memorable example of getting overexcited with a temporary advantage.
I think my round 2 vs igorbat99 was no less epic for a failure either and deserves to be on that dubious list. I love perishing epically, that is for sure.
And what about leaderkills where the losing side tried to bait with his own leader, but received too much attention? The leader move of Berez in round 2 made perfect sense, and then he falls to a lowly chance... it was like an episode of House MD where the cure might as well kill you. The Hungarians were not very fortunate about these committed leaders during the entirety of the tournament.
draghen

Post by draghen »

Borus Baker, u crazy...

Im not alone... xD
Thank you!
Only 4 burned pies out of 108, and a draw(?) one... not bad! Good job everybody :)
Ammazzalepri

Post by Ammazzalepri »

Ahahah were you hungry Horus?
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

When i said "tomorrow", i remembered the day right, and i only mistook the week. Sorry for the delay, i was at my limits.
This is the infochart you wanted to see.:
You can also get the detailed tables about the rounds and their results in .xls and .odt formats in the pack below:
IWT2016 match results.zip
(32.43 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Caritas

Post by Caritas »

Interesting that undead scored worse then drakes :)
In drake v undead match up that is
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Caritas wrote:Interesting that undead scored worse then drakes :)
In drake v undead match up that is
Indeed, that is very interesting, I guess it proves that this matchup is balanced and can't be just due to maybe I don't know, luck? Right? XD

As to your charts, they are great, I love them, and I love the pies too.