[Complete] WTT : Wesnoth Time Twister, a 1v1, 1.9 tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dreadnough

Re: WTT : Wesnoth Time Twister, a 1v1, 1.9 tournament

Post by Dreadnough »

Thanks to the bew version the purpose of this tourny is gone. I don't want to complain about the main devs to much, but at least they could had told us, that the new version will be out soon. And if they did so I do not understand why we didn't start the tourny two weeks later to avoid those problems.

Anyway. Since it is a new version I doubt savegames will work, and since I randomed Khalifate against elidos Undead this savegame won't work for sure. I am a little bit sad, since I had a really nice advantage here (27 gold, 59 exp, better exp management and second watch) after 30 turns of playing and now I have no idea what we shall do. Starting all over again would suck for me, but I guess it can't be helped. Since we won't be able to play to soon there is enough time for the tourny admins to make a decission.

All in all I lost a lot of excitement, I can just hope I will get it back. The games will be (hopefully) quite good after all.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Dreadnough, you can reload that game just fine. Keep your 1.9.9 installation and we should be able to find a server (or build one) on it and in the worst case we can contactsome devs on how to do it (OR YOU CAN EVEN PLAY BY EMAIL BY SENDING TURNS).
EDIT: Hosting a server for 1.9.9 is very easy and anyone can DL it if needed so we can stilll play (or reload) games on 1.9.9.

I don't know about other systems, but hosting on windows is simple as long as you have control over your firewall:

You need to choose multiplayer -> hots network game + you need to figure out your IP address. Once you have that, you can post your server coordinates and that's it.

For example, I'm hosting a game right now at: 94.21.114.210:15000

As far as I understand, any versions can joibn the server, there is no check, but you shouldn't play with other players having different versions.

I'm not sure if it matters what version does the host have.
Last edited by csarmi on November 9th, 2011, 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I joined this tournament mostly because of the Khalifate faction. I'm not sure I would play on without it. I might, but I wouldn't like to.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I will join in the choir of the khalifat... haters doubters :P Anyway you dont really need an explicit goal to have a tournament imho, i mean its fine if you have one, but even a "goal-free" tournament can work out pretty nice ;)
tekelili wrote:A new faction for default would be fun, but I see khalifate pretty far from an acceptable balance in default.
Windsong ftw!!
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Ok guys, here are my thoughts;

Any games currently waiting to be finished in the old version(1.9.9) should be finished on that version.

Per the tournament rules, players have to update to 1.9.10 by next week and thereafter all tournament games should be played on that version. Yes we can't play khalifate anymore, but khalifate are going to be switched to Liminal anyway so more games with lawful khalifate aren't too useful. In addition there are quite many other reasons(most hopefully obvious) to have everyone updated to 1.9.10.

If a Khalifate add-on comes out it is permissible to play tournie games using that add-on. It may(probably will) become mandatory when such an add-on comes out.

So perhaps those who dislike the khalifate should finish their group games quickly before this window closes :P .

Regarding inactive players, I will try to deal with them soon(and update the tables). I am quite busy atm, hopefully should have time later in the week.

EDIT: If anyone wishes to replace Atomhead, let me know. I'm sorry you didn't have time for the tournie.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The add-on should be out soon, but for the time being noy recommends staying on 1.9.9.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

how can we possibly play games on 1.9.9 when it wont even let you log into the server unless you're updated to 1.9.10?
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

You can host 1.9.9 games on your own.
You can find an 1.9.9 server too.

Read my post above + http://wiki.wesnoth.org/MultiplayerServers
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

If anyone interested, I managed to compile an 1.9.9+p version of wesnoth on windows. It is compatible with 1.9.9., actually its is the exact same except replays do NOT crash on it.

I'm not exactly sure if I can pass that through, or how, but if someone is interested in watching all those 1.9.9. replays in the thread, maybe we could figure out somthing.

I also attached the replays of the games played so far. They are named (tagged by WTT, Group name, players' name and races + game version).

(WTT_Grp_p1(r1)_vs_p2(r2)_on_MapName_v199)

Rigor, feel free to use these replays and these googledocs if you like.

Andromeda
Centauri
Bode
Magellanic
Attachments
saves.zip
All games up to 11-11-10 (names correctly)
(777.02 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by csarmi on November 10th, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Saturday, 10GMT: csarmi vs Dreadnough WTT game coming up (if nothing comes up).

Also I have an arm injury (not very serious I hope, tendovaginitis). That will make me even slower than usual, please be patient with me. I can't play with a timer for the next few weeks.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

AI, are you creating the era with liminal?

Doing it without liminal is easy, but if you try liminal, the unit stats have tobe balanced all over again. There is not a single unit where you can REALLY add 20% extra damage (or substract 10% damage for day/night).
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Looks like I interpreted noy wrong. He intended to say that you should use 1.9.10 with the old version of the khalifate. I'm not sure where he wanted you to get it though.

Anonymissimus recently checked in the last mainline version of the khalifate in in wesnoth-umc-dev, so you can now download a tarball of an addon containing the khalifate here. It's still a lawful version though, and you do have to know what to do with an archived add-on.

Noy and happygrue/wintermute are maintaining the khalifate, I don't really have anything to do with its development.

EDIT:
Also, you need to remove the #undef lines at the end of data/core/units.cfg in order for the add-on to work. This should not make your 1.9.10 incompatible with others.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Well If we want to test Khalifate as a liminal faction (as they say it would be liminal), maybe the best way to fix it (at least in short term) is to create a new alignment called 'climinal' which would be the same as liminal, except it would give 120/90/90/120/90/90 instead of 100/75/75/100/75/75.

That would mean there is no tinkering with unit stats for now, it would set the new stats as accurately as possible. Those stats should be changed later anyway, but we wuldn't have to figure out the how just now.
Superking

Post by Superking »

arif shuts down elusives, but no harder than dark adept/mage/augur already do
lover de wesnoth
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hi everyone,

The news post has been updated with the position regarding 1.9.10.
The table has also been updated.
Just to note, in case anyone has somehow missed it, you can find the replays to all the games, sorted by group, below the table in the spoilers.
Horus, powershot, Krake, death160 you all have pms.
I'd also urge every player who has only played one game; Rene, Great Mage Atari, Kira1, nelson and Gregorak to play a few more games soon.

Congratulations to Honor for showing everyone how it's done :P .
I'm also naming csarmi my vice-admin for WTT, he does the work for it anyway, thanks for all his help. :)

There is still one slot and possibly more open if anyone is still interested, as detailed in the news page.