[Complete] TOURNAMENT: Conquest

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SlowThinker

Re: TOURNAMENT: Conquest

Post by SlowThinker »

Nauzhror wrote:Well, I suppose I can drop out. Then it would be equal. I barely have time to play in it either wise.
but the organization will be even more time consuming probably ... will you have time for it or you want to be replaced?
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

I can time it, though there is almost no activity on the thread, so I don't think the competition might be a good idea.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

What do you mean by 'the competition'? The tourney?

Most people don't write in the thread, but they talk about it when observing Conquest games.
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

Ah I see, in any case perhaps we could start this somewhere by the start of next month? As I will have an entire week free.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I don't think you need an entire weekend.
The main work is to do the pairing. Best would be a public pairing, so that participants can watch and have some fun.

Does anybody know about a website that provides a pairing, or at least generates random numbers?
I imagine something like this: people come there, Nauzhror adds names of participants to the system (like he would put paper slips with names to a box), then he draws names one by one and decides pairs that way.
Ideally the website should have a chatbox.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Someone ought to make a Wesnoth add-on that does this. They had one for TGT but I don't think it was general purpose.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 96#p509696
Here tekelili posted a slightly modified version of the TGT ceremony add-on, to be used in further editions of the TGT. I didn't have a look at it yet, but it may be usable for this tournament as well.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
KussMar

Post by KussMar »

hi,

i like to play at the tournament, but my english isnt very good.
what have i to do?

marcus :wink:
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Hi, it was a coincedence I read this today... but looks you are looking for a live randomization. If you give me rules for randomization you desire on your tournament, I think is easy to me code them, so count with my help for that. I wont design a map for it, that is more work and you should provide it to me. I need also a list of players´ names and coordenates of spots where they should be placed on map. If you want personalize players with different units, add avatar="unit type" to players names.

I havent read this whole thread, so no clue if players list or randomization rules are already posted.

EDIT: just in case you didnt think about it, randomization can be done in an "all grass" map if you dont want desingn it.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I have decided create a general propose tree-randomization scenario. It should be done today or tomorrow. I will advise when is available on add on server :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

tekelili, a general purpose randomization scenario would be great.

Some advices:
Dont do complete trees or such things, I think it would be needlessly complicated.
All we need is to take N names and to put them into N slots randomly. (this may be used for any purpose: to put players in pairs or in larger groups)

Some people don't know where to find cfg files that shall be edited, so I advice the host simply adds player names by right-clicks (at least if the cfg file with these definitions is commented out), then he right-clicks individual slots in the moment they shall be filled in (this is an opposite procedure in comparison with the TGT scenario (TGT doesn't draw names from the box but slots), but I think it is more natural).
In case you want the scenario is very comfortable, you can allow the host puts dividers between some slots - in order to divide pairs or larger groups.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I have uploaded Tree_Randomization ver 0.1 on 1.8 add on server.

@SlowThinker: For me was way easier do a file with an array for players information. In order to configure this scenario, user only has to edit Players.cfg (inside Tree_Randomization folder). I think is quite easy understand how do it once oyu see file... but we will see. Any feedback is welcome, but changes will be decided in fuction of effort needed to code them and "general propose utility".

Let me know if this scenario suplies your current tournament needs :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Sure it supplies our needs. Thank you. 8)

---------------------------------------------------------
But you asked feedback. :P
my ideas:
  • a label with the name of the tournament (editable in .cfg)
  • units have bold labels with names above, and the labels "travel" with units to the slots
  • I would prefer a slower draw, not "all in one moment":
    The host says: Now we will draw slot 1. Who will it be? ... It is Lich_Lord! (upheaval in the audience) And now who will be his opponent? I will draw slot 2 now ... it is SlowThinker! (shouts from the audience) ...
edit
  • Some slots could be let unused (by .cfg editing). It might help for example if the host want groups with 8 players: then he sets slots 9 and 10 unused, so that one group is in one column. In case of 4-player groups he may let unusued slots 5 and 10 - in order to separate groups
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

@SlowThinker thanks for feedback. I have just uploaded ver 0.2 and it solve some of your ideas. I will try improve scenario to solve other ones, but not sure if all will be done. Some details can be very host taste dependand, and not sure if worth code a solution that wont make happy everybody.

EDIT: I opened a thread for feedback
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35344
Last edited by tekelili on October 27th, 2011, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
World Conquest II
grrrr

Post by grrrr »

i also want play.

But my English not good((
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

grrrr, I am glad to see you (and yes, you are a strong player IMO :wink: )
BTW kud and Berserkjaguar are speculating whether play or not to play...

I looks Nauzhror's plans for this weekend have been changed:
Nauzhror wrote:Ah I see, in any case perhaps we could start this somewhere by the start of next month? As I will have an entire week free.