[Complete] Tournament of Champions 2v2 Feburary 10th: signup

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IB

Post by IB »

I'm talking about a couple of months ago a conversation I had while observing one of bec and jbs haxathons, but this was before he got roped into doing it. I don't think he really wanted the hassle so was trying to pawn it off on some poor schmuck :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Honestly, I don't care who runs it. As long as it is a smooth process.

IB seems to have taken the initiative, and up to this point has been fairly organized. If he makes any mistakes along the way, we'll be sure to let him know.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
IB

Post by IB »

I'm going to press ahead, need to send out pms now if there is a hope in hell of starting on the 10th. I'll still hand it off to someone else/wait for bec if anyone objects.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Actually I do have a objection IB, alot of people can't play on the 10th which was one of the main reasons we weren't doing anything. So you coming in here and stating you're going to now organize this thing really just makes more of a mess of things, particularly since you've unilaterally decided to make the start date three days from now.

If you want to talk about it, you're welcome to come on IRC and discuss it with the MP devs, not the forum. That should have been your first move, not announcing without any consultation that you would take the issue on.
IB

Post by IB »

I can't connect to freenode, don't know why, I'm thinking maybe router.

The reason the first round lasts from the 10th to the 17th is a lot of people can't play certain days, they can talk to their opponents and figure out which day out of 7 they can.

I didn't really set the start date, bec did, I'm just trying to keep it seeing everyone knows what it is.

EDIT: You are right. Moving the start date forward a week would be a good idea to make sure everyone knows what is happening and can make plans.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

jb wrote:IB seems to have taken the initiative, and up to this point has been fairly organized. If he makes any mistakes along the way, we'll be sure to let him know.
I agree. I also think that pushing the date a week is prudent.

<Wintermute gets ready to pounce on any mistakes> :P
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Well, since there will be no offical battle on Sat. 10th....I invite teams to have "exibition" or practice battles that day with other teams. A good chance to build teamwork, play actual teams, and look at some of the maps that you may be less familar with.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
sargy

It's all a bit messy

Post by sargy »

Just read my pm from IB, i read it before coming into the forums and reading what had been put about the tournament, i am ok to play whenever, but if the easiest solution is to hang on for a week, maybe it would be better just to do that.
Nothing against you at all IB, i take my hat off to someone who shows the guts to take on the role of organising the tourny, but if it means some of the better players who i know online can't make it, i would rather wait and take them on in a weeks time.
The tournament being good/bad will be determined by the level of skill of the players participating in it.
IMO better fighting good players later, than beat poorer players sooner ......
IB

Post by IB »

If some of the top people can't play any games within the 17th to 24th timeframe, then I don't see a problem expanding the first round by a few more days. The first round will obviously take the longest with so many people in it.
sargy

Getting a new registration list

Post by sargy »

OK so if we are going to have a week long first round, get the list and give a new cut off date for registering. To avoid problems with players not being able to play on certain dates, when players enlist they should give times and dates that are inconvineant for them, and ties will have to be played simply on teams being able to be matched up on the dates and times.
After first round, set times are given, if they can't be met, a bye should be issued, imo.
IB

Re: Getting a new registration list

Post by IB »

sargy wrote:give a new cut off date for registering.
You mean like the one in the information thread sticked at the top of this forum?
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I'm sorry, Noy's suggestion of starting it on the 17th is MUCH better for me, otherwise I might not be able to show up. (1 to 10 i show up on the 10th) BETTER idea though- set up a bracket- and no new teams can show up. then when ready, those people can play each other, IF ONLY SOMEONE COULD SET UP A BRACKET. Some things have popped from empty space, and I'm afraid I might not be able to show up, though I've had it scheduled for so long. It should be on people's own time. sorry to all, especially baufo, if I can't show up.

edit, sorry just noticed it really is on the 17th. sorry.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

everyone that has signed up for this, make sure u check your private messages

it has been pushed back to the 17th and u have to confirm with a pm
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
IB

Post by IB »

Yours makes 11/16 places confirmed.
Nordmann

Post by Nordmann »

:wink: Sombra and me will fight for sure count us in
:)
Well up north it should be cold...