Help with some abbreviation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Viliam
Translator

Help with some abbreviation

Post by Viliam »

I need some explanation/context to these:

"Act." - is this an abbreviation of "active", or what...?
"%b %d %y", "%H:%M", "%A, %H:%M", "%b %d" - is this in Klingonese, or what :lol:
"$name|bury,$name|ham,$name|ton",... - i understand the point, but would welcome more details: which strings are for what kind of objects (towns,...?)
"?", "(", ")", ";", ":" - ...???
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Viliam wrote:I need some explanation/context to these:"Act." - is this an abbreviation of "active", or what...?
It is an abbreviation of "Actions". It is used for very low resolutions (PDAs...).
Viliam wrote: "%b %d %y", "%H:%M", "%A, %H:%M", "%b %d" - is this in Klingonese, or what :lol:
man date
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

"Act."
Short for for Actions. That is for the theme. Normally you should see Actions in there, I think the short form is only used for the tinygui.
"%b %d %y", "%H:%M", "%A, %H:%M", "%b %d"
Order of timeelements. Maybe "man date" can help you with this. eg "%H:%M" does mean Hours:Mins, just change the order in the way it is normal in your language, though you can also just copy the string to take the normal english order.
"$name|bury,$name|ham,$name|ton",...
The town names are done with a Markov generator (I hope i wrote it correctly). $name is the "namepart" eg Birming |ham means that |ham will be added after the name part. One townname could be: Birmingham, or it could be Birmingbury or Birmington (This only is an example)
That generator creates names with only some strings needed. You can take the po-file from the german translation as an example. Others do also have it done already.
"?", "(", ")", ";", ":"
Some translations do always need a space at some positions because of *don't know what*. For most translations it should be enough just to copy these strings as they are written in the original.

I hope this helps you.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

ivanovic wrote:The town names are done with a Markov generator (I hope i wrote it correctly). $name is the "namepart" eg Birming |ham means that |ham will be added after the name part. One townname could be: Birmingham, or it could be Birmingbury or Birmington (This only is an example)
Yes, but there are more strings like this one. What is the difference between them? Are they used for different kinds of objects?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

There are different kind of things. There could be a river, a ford, a see, a mountain, a town or a passage through hills. All this stuff has its own combinations. It would be strange to name a river like it was a town.
At the strings used you should try to find out to what kind of "nameable object" it does belong.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

OK, maybe this will be helpful for other translators:

If you work on Windows, do not search for "man date" in Google etc. :lol: Instead, click here for manual page on "date" command.

For generated names, the objects are:

Code: Select all

bridge_name=               _ "$name's Bridge,$name's Crossing"
road_name=                 _ "$name's Highway,$name's Pass,Path of $name"
river_name=                _ "$name River,River $name"
forest_name=               _ "$name Forest,$name's Forest"
lake_name=                 _ "$name Lake"
village_name=              _ "$name|bury,$name|ham,$name|ton"
village_name_lake=         _ "$name|harbor,$name|port"
village_name_river=        _ "$name|ham,$name|ford,$name|cross,$river|ford,$river|cross"
village_name_river_bridge= _ "$river|bridge,$river|bridge,$river|bridge,$name|ham,$name|bridge"
village_name_grassland=    _ "$name|ham,$name|ton,$name|field"
village_name_forest=       _ "$name|ham,$name|ton,$name|wood,$name Forest"
village_name_hill=         _ "$name|ham,$name|bury,$name|ton,$name|hill,$name|crest"
village_name_mountain=     _ "$name|ham,$name|bury,$name|ton,$name|mont,$name|mont,$name|cliff,$name|cliff"
michalkuc

Re: Help with some abbreviation

Post by michalkuc »

Guys,

Can anyone please help me understand what does "RACV" (as in: "RACV's Translation" in wesnoth.po file?) stand for? I'm working on the Arabic translation and not sure how to account for it in Arabic.

Cheers
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Real Acadèmia de Cultura Valenciana

https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Acad ... Valenciana

It's a special form of Valencian Catalan.
michalkuc

Post by michalkuc »

Many thanks!