Internationalization

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

What's Chocobone ? I understand description and so forth, but

bone = bone
choco = just a name, impossible to translate ?
methinks

Post by methinks »

I believe you are NOT translating BfW into Polish as I am already taking care of it and have it partly done. Nyway will send it to skovbaer somehow tomorrow.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The original idea of the chocobone is form A. Bishop the creator of the Egoboo game http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/
Have you played any of the Final Fantasy games?
Chocobos are large ostrich-like birds used as mounts and trained animals.
So a chocobone is a small homage to that great games.
DaringTremayne

Re: Everyone doing translations... Read this!

Post by DaringTremayne »

skovbaer wrote:To everyone doing translations:

From now on I will take care of uploading the translations to the source code on the CVS server...
So when any of you make some changes/updates to a translation file, please send them to:

skovbaer AT femgramskovbaerte DOT dk

Thanks...
Does that mean that the Wiki page is not a correct way to propose translations ?

I made some changes to the French translation, and uploaded them on the Wiki page. Thas was before I saw your post. Was there a significant difference between the contents of the Wiki page and the CVS ?

Darin' Tremayne
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

DaringTremayne wrote:
Does that mean that the Wiki page is not a correct way to propose translations ?
That's probably fine, just email Skovbaer telling him that you have made some changes to the French translation and placed your changes on the Wiki page. That way, he can check over the changes, and check them into CVS.

David
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

(I assume that you mean the translation I've found in wesnoth4.8 rc2 for windows.)
.... and there are many things I don't like about your translation, methinks. For example translating "preferences" to "wlasciwosci" sounds very confusing. If I never saw Windows and its irrational naming style, I would never guess what it's supposed to mean. And yes, I use Linux as my desktop system.
"ustawienia" fits much better - and everything is clear.

Translating "grassland" to "trawa" bothers me, too. I think it should be "rownina", not only because this is exact translation.. but also because controversal grassland tiles (like those "roads" in scenario1) are likely to be replaced with road tiles in some future.

Is there any technical problem with having 2 translations for one language ?
skovbaer

Polish translation

Post by skovbaer »

I guess the one who finishes the Polish translation fastest will
get his translation into the cvs... Anyway, another suggestion for
the word "preferences" could be "Opcje"... It's not the exact same
meaning but I don't think it would confuse anything...
But it's hard for anyone not Polish to decide which translation is
the best one. I can't really rely on you (B0rsuk) saying that the
other translation sucks so I don't really know what to do about that... :/
- dk_skovbaer -
skovbaer

Polish translation...

Post by skovbaer »

And sorry... I'm not from Poland... I should stay out of this :)
- dk_skovbaer -
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

DaringTremayne wrote:Does that mean that the Wiki page is not a correct way to propose translations ?

I made some changes to the French translation, and uploaded them on the Wiki page. Thas was before I saw your post. Was there a significant difference between the contents of the Wiki page and the CVS ?

Darin' Tremayne
I'll get the translation from the Wiki and upload it to CVS... Thanks :)
- dk_skovbaer -
B0rsuk

Post by B0rsuk »

I may not be the first, because I've removed my translation by mistake :=\... with whole wesnoth 4.8 rc2 when I found out that there's new version. Anyway, we shall see.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Our Wiki is version controlled (CVS)... anything you have written can be retrieved.

- Miyo
DaringTremayne

Post by DaringTremayne »

skovbaer wrote:
I'll get the translation from the Wiki and upload it to CVS... Thanks :)
I'd be happy to contribute further on the French translation. What is the best way : should I get the updated translation from CVS, work on that and send it back to you ? or would you suggest something simpler of more convenient or ... :?:

And BTW (and a bit Off-Topic): very good job you're all doing with that game. I enjoy myself very much - even though I don't expect my free time to grow enough to become a Champion, alas ! but even so, it's a lot of fun.
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

DaringTremayne wrote:I'd be happy to contribute further on the French translation. What is the best way : should I get the updated translation from CVS, work on that and send it back to you ? or would you suggest something simpler of more convenient or ... :?:
If we have other French translators (I don't remember) then I would recommend keeping up with the translations from CVS (latest cvs, that is, not an rc-release) and add your own translations to that file... And then just send the file to me... But I don't really remember how many French translators we have... :?
- dk_skovbaer -
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

-> DaringTremaine

We currently have two other translators besides you: Zas and Guillaume... So yes, you should always make sure and get the latest translation from CVS whenever you want to make any updates...
- dk_skovbaer -
skovbaer

Translators

Post by skovbaer »

I've been trying to keep track of the translators and I made this little list:

Danish: Skovbaer
French: Zas, Guillaume, DaringTremayne
Italian: Jaramir (need others perhaps)
Polish: methinks, B0rsuk
Spanish: ettin, fmunoz?

If I forgot anyone please tell me... This is just to prevent myself from mixing things up...
- dk_skovbaer -