Clarification of terms

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Clarification of terms

Post by GunChleoc »

Vank of Galun’s Flight, 6YW

It that "flight" as in fleeing or as in flying?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

As in flying. But it's probably worth waiting before translating WoV - it's been removed from mainline and there's an ongoing discussion about whether to re-add it.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

This string is in the wesnoth textdomain, so I have to translate it to get it to 100%.

Thanks for your fast reply!
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

octalot, but it still can be translated, as an UMC even if it's not readded.
demario

Post by demario »

In version 1.16 there is a new monster unit called: Swamp Lizard
The description is:
But the file they are defined in is data/core/units/monsters/Crocodile.cfg

The sprite itself look more like a crocodile than a lizard (path:units/monsters/croc/crocodile.png) :
crocodile.png
crocodile.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Portrait:
Are crocodiles lizards? (hint: reptile) So is the monster unit a crocodile or a lizard?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a crocodile with a different name. It doesn't matter that they're not technically lizards – "swamp lizard" is still a term that could believably describe a crocodile, because they still look sort of like lizards.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yep. Maybe they could have been "Lesser Swamp Dragons", but our fire dragon is still a hot mess after all these years, we're not ready for swamp dragons.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
demario

Post by demario »

doofus-01 wrote: July 10th, 2022, 5:39 am Yep. Maybe they could have been "Lesser Swamp Dragons", but our fire dragon is still a hot mess after all these years, we're not ready for swamp dragons.
Would it make sense to call this monster what it is: a crocodile -- and wait for the "hot mess" about dragon to be sorted out to //change it into//replace it by//add// the "Lesser Swamp Dragons"? For most of the people, "swamp lizard" is associated to saurian anyway, so it is not like that unit concept is missing from the game.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

If you're translating it, I wouldn't recommend just using the word for "crocodile". I'd recommend using something that could be believable for describing a crocodile but is possibly not quite scientifically accurate. I wouldn't say it necessarily needs to be an exact direct translation of "swamp lizard", however.

But in the end, it's your choice. Translation is an art, after all. Your job is to produce something that will have a similar impression on a speaker of the target language.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

It's something that we might need to note somewhere for campaign authors though - that they might need a po: comment when calling swamp lizards "lizards".
  • Lady Jessene: "A fire-breathing lizard on the mountain, and spear-wielding lizards in the jungle."
  • Haldric: "Urgh, next you'll be telling me there are lizards with lots of teeth in the river."