Indonesian Translation of GPL

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChosenOne

Indonesian Translation of GPL

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi, does anyone know if there exists an Indonesian translation of GPL? I tried to search in the GNU site, but there doesn't seem to be one.

I know how to translate this phrase, but was wondering if it was legal and would rather leave the translation as-is.

Please advise me.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Indonesian Translation of GPL

Post by Turuk »

This is an unofficial translation of the GNU General Public License into Indonesian. It was not published by the Free Software Foundation, and does not legally state the distribution terms for software that uses the GNU GPL--only the original English text of the GNU GPL does that. However, we hope that this translation will help Indonesian speakers understand the GNU GPL better.
Bolded a few important points. It might be easier to keep it in English for legal reasons, or at least give both.

http://vlsm.org/etc/gpl-unofficial.id.html
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
teddy
Translator

Post by teddy »

TheChosenOne wrote:Hi, does anyone know if there exists an Indonesian translation of GPL? I tried to search in the GNU site, but there doesn't seem to be one.
There are different versions of GPL. Your link leads to the translation page of GPL v3, while Wesnoth is distributed under GPL v2. As Turuk already mentioned, only English text of any version of GPL has legal power, so you must keep English version.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Ah, thanks for the info! I didn't know about that.

The thread has served its purpose.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TheChosenOne wrote:The thread has served its purpose.
Fair enough, locked to prevent noise. Hopefully others can learn from this as well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time