Some issues with variables, unit names and places

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChosenOne

Some issues with variables, unit names and places

Post by TheChosenOne »

I have a few doubts on how to translate these things.

1. $name|ham,$name|ford,$name|cross,$river|ford,$river|cross
I know Viliam has asked this before, but it wasn't clear. What am I supposed to translate here?

2. Bal,Cam,Corn,Del,Earl,El,Fox,Fren,Gel,Hel,Hex,Hol,Hox,Il,Kin,Nam,...
Name of units. What is there to translate here, as well?

3. addon_type^MP era
How do I translate this kind of sentences?
Example: unit^gold.
-If it is to be translated as unit-gold, then it would be translated as 'emas unit'
-But if I have to translate it word by word to keep its structure, then it would be translated as 'unit^emas'.

4. Plurals.
For plural translations, there is a special translation field called 'form'. It says form 0 or 1, what does it mean?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
silene

Re: Some issues with variables, unit names and places

Post by silene »

TheChosenOne wrote:1. $name|ham,$name|ford,$name|cross,$river|ford,$river|cross
I know Viliam has asked this before, but it wasn't clear. What am I supposed to translate here?

2. Bal,Cam,Corn,Del,Earl,El,Fox,Fren,Gel,Hel,Hex,Hol,Hox,Il,Kin,Nam,...
Name of units. What is there to translate here, as well?
Both questions are only one actually. They are not name of units, they are village prefix that will be used to replace the $name variable in the first string. For instance, you could "translate" the first string to "New $name,Old $name" and the second to "York,Castle", and it would mean the game would generate villages called "New York", "Old York", "New Castle", and "Old Castle". I hope it is clearer.
TheChosenOne wrote:3. addon_type^MP era
How do I translate this kind of sentences?
The part "addon_type^" is just here to help you, it won't be displayed to the user and you should ignore it when translating. It means that the "MP era" is for add-ons, in case it matters for your translation. So a valid translation could simply be "MP era".
TheChosenOne wrote:4. Plurals.
For plural translations, there is a special translation field called 'form'. It says form 0 or 1, what does it mean?
It means that your language is known to have two forms of plural. Since there are only two forms for your language, it most certainly means that form 0 is singular and form 1 is plural. So replace form 0 with a sentence that speaks of one thing only, and form 1 with a sentence that speaks of two things or more.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Ok. Now just two questions on points 1 and 4.

For the places, I guess I'll rename it with Indonesian names, right? but we don't have many names that have a common subword, unlike new - in new york, newland, etc...

As for the plural translation, you said to write the singular form in form 0 and plural form in form 1. But there is only one field for both forms? Do I just write Form 0 : 'Singular Form' and Form 1: 'Plural Form' within the same box, or what?
---Konrad III

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
silene

Post by silene »

TheChosenOne wrote:For the places, I guess I'll rename it with Indonesian names, right? but we don't have many names that have a common subword, unlike new - in new york, newland, etc...
If there are no prefix or suffix that fits the job, just translate the first string as "$name", so that the generated village names will go through unmodified.
TheChosenOne wrote:As for the plural translation, you said to write the singular form in form 0 and plural form in form 1. But there is only one field for both forms? Do I just write Form 0 : 'Singular Form' and Form 1: 'Plural Form' within the same box, or what?
It really depends on what tools you use to do your translation. At the text level (the .po file), this is how it looks like:

Code: Select all

msgid "Friendly unit sighted"
msgid_plural "$friends friendly units sighted"
msgstr[0] "something about a single unit sighted"
msgstr[1] "something about many units ($friends in fact)"
The first two lines are the English sentences for one thing and for several (or zero) things. The last two lines are your two translation forms. There is nothing explicit but you can tell from the plural English sentence: the number of things that decides the form is contained in the $friends variable. (In the example, I haven't used the variable in form 0, but nothing prevents you to; for instance if your language were to use form 0 for any number smaller than 10, then you would have to use it.)
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

This is how my poEdit looks like

----------------

Singular: strike
----------------
Plural: strikes
----------------
Form 0 (e.g. "1")

-----------------

Now my question is, there isn't form 1, only form 0, in the field which I am supposed to translate. So how?
---Konrad III