Where are the mainline strings?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Where are the mainline strings?

Post by Atreides »

I've tried searching for them but nada. I'm guessing they're in the binary .mo files. Is there a list of what strings are available? I've used the dozen files in my many add-ons but discovered that not all strings are included. Where can one find all of them? Should there not be a master mainline-strings.cfg file?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Where are the mainline strings?

Post by octalot »

In the source tree, they're po/domain/domain.pot. For example, https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob/master/po/wesnoth-lib/wesnoth-lib.pot

lib is a library, the campaign Liberty has po/wesnoth-l/wesnoth-l.pot.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

The game engine uses .mo files - they can be generated from the po files and are binary versions of them. There's some gettext command for that, or if you want to do it manually, you can export them with Virtaal or PoEdit or similar translation editors. Then look for directories called LC_MESSAGES in the wesnoth directory to see where you need to put them.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

GunChleoc wrote: May 16th, 2021, 3:53 pm The game engine uses .mo files - they can be generated from the po files and are binary versions of them. There's some gettext command for that, or if you want to do it manually, you can export them with Virtaal or PoEdit or similar translation editors. Then look for directories called LC_MESSAGES in the wesnoth directory to see where you need to put them.
I recently installed poedit. It is wonderful. It autogenerates .mo files although they need to be renamed and moved to fit wesnoth.

I also discovered that while .mo files are in fact binary data files I was actually always able to view them using midnight commander as text. I just never tried!

P.S. Looking forward to WL 1.0 :)