iOS support thread

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Did you like the new drag/swipe control style?

Not at all. Bring back the clicks!
No votes
Yes, immediately!
50%
Yes, after some time.
No votes
Yes, but it needs improvements, and I'll tell you which.
No votes
I want the option to have both.
50%

Total votes: 2

l0csta

Re: iOS support thread

Post by l0csta »

just got wesnoth for my iphone and i've noticed everything is pretty pixelated (fonts, artwork, etc.). i remember playing it on my android a year back and iirc it wasn't nearly as blurry. don't see anything related to resolution or quality in the settings. Is this normal?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

No, this is not normal, except of fonts.
Sadly, fonts are too deeply embedded into rendering mechanism to use true Retina resolution.
Can you please post a screenshot?
l0csta

Post by l0csta »

iphone screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/XQADWcU

android screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/1jph7Fz

i guess i understand the font thing because the fonts are smaller on the android app, but the image of Baran is very low-res on the iphone compared to the android.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

I see it. Thank you very much.
You are right.

tl;dr: Wesnoth doesn't support HiDPI displays. As a result, fonts and sprites are upscaled from a resolution that might be twice as small.

Android image, 1920x1080, is about the largest window Wesnoth can do. You can increase the window (screen pixel size), but the fonts will never get bigger.
On iPhone, the pixel resolution is already much higher, 2532x1170, while iPhone screen, I bet, is physically smaller.

What SDL, our graphics framework, does, is it scales LoDPI applications up, in order to preserve their screen layouts and all, and Wesnoth pixels are rendered into abstract screen "units".

If we simply enable HiDPI in SDL, all the UI, text and controls, will get twice as small. This would be unusable.
There is a long-standing issue: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/2219.
There were a few attempts to implement HiDPI support, but, sadly, none succeeded.
Sorry.
l0csta

Post by l0csta »

the text and ui are actually much smaller on the Android version but its good enough for me. Not really knowledgeable on ios development, but would it be possible to add the hidpi support as an option that could be enabled or disabled depending on the users preference?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

GUI has to be redesigned for HiDPI, because it was designed around 72 DPI. Now, font size is hardwired to DPI; in turn, GUI layout is handwired to font sizes.

Or, at least, our own abstraction layer needs to be developed, inside of SDL's, to take advantage of fonts and maybe scaling. As I said, a few attempts were made, but none of them went anywhere.
l0csta

Post by l0csta »

interesting. well, thanks for the detailed responses!
Col_Orange

Post by Col_Orange »

I’m frequently getting a “No saved games”, “there are no save files to load” message. Not all of the time, but losing all progress in a campaign is frustrating.

iOS 14.7.1
The Battle for Wesnoth app 1.14.13
Gizmet

Post by Gizmet »

So I can’t figure out how to vote on the survey- but I very much don’t like the “click and drag” style movement.

It’s possible I could get used to it if dragging also moved the screen when you got to the edges- but as it currently works on my iPhone, I can’t make the movements I want on large maps with teleporting units because the screen won’t zoom out far enough to include both the unit I want to teleport and the village I want to teleport it to. Since this is using the teleport ability, I can’t really do partial movements either without wasting MP to teleport to in-between villages.
avelyn894

Post by avelyn894 »

Hello. I can’t move any units.
I remember playing this game long ago and had no issues with controls. Now it is impossible, there is no tap, no double tap, no drag or any menu to make a unit move.
TheWave

Post by TheWave »

Hi, I post the first time so hope not too dumb questions:
1) I have an Ipad Pro with IOS 15.1 and cannot update Wesnoth to 1.6? Still have 1.14.13. How could I update?
2) When I play on my laptop through Steam I play Version 1.6 and have on e.g. Afterlife Rated a score of 1500 instead of 1607 on my Ipad with the 1.14 version?
Thank you for your support
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The latest iOS version is still 1.14.13. We're hoping to be able to update it to 1.16 eventually, but for various reasons it's always been handled separately from the desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux) version of the game, which makes it more complicated.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Danathar

Post by Danathar »

I was actually thinking about playing it on IOS, then I saw what version it was on vs the desktop platforms and decided to play it on my laptop instead.

You have to wonder how many possible IOS players have done the same thing.

If I could, I'd rather sideload the latest version on my Ipad than run the current rev which is 2.5 years old.
Scampada

Post by Scampada »

Hi! I am sorry if this message is a dup!

I've installed the 1.14 iOS App Store version. Now I can't find any way to get it updated to the 1.16.

Is it possible?
liminal unit
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The iOS port has not been updated to 1.16.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code