iOS support thread

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Did you like the new drag/swipe control style?

Not at all. Bring back the clicks!
No votes
Yes, immediately!
50%
Yes, after some time.
No votes
Yes, but it needs improvements, and I'll tell you which.
No votes
I want the option to have both.
50%

Total votes: 2

singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

iOS support thread

Post by singalen »

You're welcome to post iOS feedback in this thread.

Unfortunately, iPhone support for Wesnoth is still very much a work in progress and did not make it in for this update. This is due to Wesnoth currently having poor support for smaller screens since TinyUI, a UI mod that used to provide this support, was removed during the 1.10 release cycle. This was done since, at the time, TinyUI was barely used and a burden to maintain, which now means this support must be reimplemented from scratch. However, iPhone support is still planned, and will make it into a future update!

I'm very sorry, but you had to lose all your saved games. The 1.13 version is too different from 1.10.

If you're into Github, you're welcome to browse the known issues and report there.

Let me collect frequently asked questions here:
  • Q: Why cannot I move a unit?
    A: Now, in touch interface, units are moved by dragging them.
  • Q: Why is multiplayer server empty?
    A: iOS port is developed in 1.13 branch, so you can only meet fellow Apple fans or the ones using development build on PC.
waddington1

Re: iOS support thread

Post by waddington1 »

Hello! First time poster. I have been running wesnoth on an iPad Air. Just updated to the new wesnoth version and lost all my saved games. MacBook Air is on the latest iOS too.

New version has a drag and drop in order to move characters around, I believe is way more inferior than the double tap. Game play is slowed by pressing and holding for the recal/recruit window too. Please bring back the double tap.

Sincerely
mark

Ps: despite issues, I love the game.
waddington1

Post by waddington1 »

Or maybe give an option for double tap in preferences?. A couple of other points. A zoom would be nice. As of now some characters movements take them off screen and so I have to attend to them twice to get their max movement. And complicating this is the new iOS has an annoyingly sensitive control pannel at the bottom of the screen which I constantly pull up when I want to try and move a quick character. I know I can disable it but, I like it most of the time. The double tap would make this problem go away.

Thanks for your consideration!
Mark
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks Mark. Welcome to the community!

Can you describe in what way is dragging UI inferior to double tapping? How do you, for example, unselect a unit?
We do have a feature request to bring PC-style controls back and switch them in preferences.

I would personally ask to give it a try - for about a week. If after a week you still don't like it, please vote on the issue.

Sadly, you were doomed to lose your saves. Previous port is 3 releases behind, everything became incompatible. Hope the renewed graphics and functionality compensate that.

I'd love to implement zoom. Sadly, current engine renderer only allows 75%/50%/25% zooms, which is kind of unsuitable for tablets.
There's a tiny icon under a minimap that does that.

There's a good news though. A hardware-accelerated rendering is in progress, which will allow for smooth pinch-zoom.
FireFox_552

Post by FireFox_552 »

Hello, how can I play on the iPhone, the iOS seems only run on iPad.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

iPhone version is a work in progress. We lost the ability to work on smaller screens, it has to be redone.
But it's worked on, and should come relatively soon.
Nachtmahr

Post by Nachtmahr »

In the multiplayer map "dark forecast" (the survival map) it´s not possible to choose factions (they are set at random) and it´s impossible to recruit.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Nachtmahr wrote:In the multiplayer map "dark forecast" (the survival map) it´s not possible to choose factions (they are set at random) and it´s impossible to recruit.
This sounds like it's unrelated to the ios port. Please test whether it also happens in the official 1.13.10 release that will come in a few days and if yes please report a bug on wesnoths bugtracker.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Nachtmahr

Post by Nachtmahr »

This sounds like it's unrelated to the ios port. Please test whether it also happens in the official 1.13.10 release that will come in a few days and if yes please report a bug on wesnoths bugtracker.
Just tested the (unofficial) 1.13 where everything is fine with the scenario.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Will check, thanks.

edit: Reproduced, will work on it.
hs1

Post by hs1 »

Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the iOS version, which will be nice for a quick Wesnoth fix while on vacation or traveling. Is it possible to use the desktop (MacOS) mainline campaign savegames in the iOS version and vice versa? My iPad is jailbroken, so filesystem access wouldn't pose a problem. Thanks!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

In theory, it is compatible with 1.13 branch, if you copy them over. Never tested it though.
Cool idea btw! If we save to iCloud one day...
Thantonous

Post by Thantonous »

I tried to play Legend of invincibles down loaded with new he version and keep getting LAU error all over screen when I try to play? Can you help?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thantonous wrote:I tried to play Legend of invincibles down loaded with new he version and keep getting LAU error all over screen when I try to play? Can you help?
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I reported your bug in the author's thread.
Looks like it's actively developed, so there's a chance it will be fixed soon.
Thantonous

Post by Thantonous »

singalen wrote:
Thantonous wrote:I tried to play Legend of invincibles down loaded with new he version and keep getting LAU error all over screen when I try to play? Can you help?
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I reported your bug in the author's thread.
Looks like it's actively developed, so there's a chance it will be fixed soon.
Thanks!