Forum restructuring - discussion

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

Re: Forum restructuring

Post by toms »

frame wrote:
...The ideas forum will also be restricted for new users. ...
How do you define new users?
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Forum restructuring

Post by Soliton »

toms wrote:
frame wrote:
...The ideas forum will also be restricted for new users. ...
How do you define new users?
Those that aren't in a usergroup allowed to post there.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

So basically everybody? I understand your motives and they are valid, but shoot, I feel kinda left out now. :cry:
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I feel slightly left out, but i suppose i'm not regular contributor. :(
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
scott

Post by scott »

The definition of new users is still being discussed. It might change to everyone-but-brand-new-members, or it might stay like it is.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

The process of forming those usergroups is going on atm. I'm sure you can see that it will take a while to go through all the people posting and decide where to put them... (common sense might have told you already :P)
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Ok well I guess I can just stick to the open forums ;).

EDIT: But yeah, I can definetly see why this is being done, even from a non-developer point of view, I often find myself avoiding the ideas froum.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Hmm I dunno this mostly seems to be saying we'll be moving on to go away with your new ideas, balancing and new factions for user campaigns only. Oh yes and you silly little users your here to play our game not poke at it, and how dare you do that....
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Tippsey wrote:Hmm I dunno this mostly seems to be saying we'll be moving on to go away with your new ideas, balancing and new factions for user campaigns only.
I don't understand that part.
Tippsey wrote:Oh yes and you silly little users your here to play our game not poke at it, and how dare you do that....
I suppose you can see it in a get-more-constructive and a vanity kind of way.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

so what can people in the "trusted users" user group do which others can't?

Or would it be best for me to wait for people to do proper explinations of how the forums work now? (eg, once you are finished, and everything is sorted out)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Hmm I dunno this mostly seems to be saying we'll be moving on to go away with your new ideas, balancing and new factions for user campaigns only. Oh yes and you silly little users your here to play our game not poke at it, and how dare you do that....
I think it's rather to keep some people away from some topics.

I understand decision to make such changes, people that turn nice topics into **** are really annoying. I liked old structure of forums, but if i'd have to chose between forums with 100% places free, but with topics destroyed by some people and not-so-free forums, but with important topics secure i think i would chose second option, like devs did.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

A good idea. I guess you were victims of your own success, lol. It may seem harsh but I'm sure it is a necessary transition. And the devs will visit us lowly "noobs" in our other forums from time to time I'm sure.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Tomsik wrote:I understand decision to make such changes, people that turn nice topics into **** are really annoying. I liked old structure of forums, but if i'd have to chose between forums with 100% places free, but with topics destroyed by some people and not-so-free forums, but with important topics secure i think i would chose second option, like devs did.
I agree, but still think that it is a bit of a shame to have to do this. Unfotrunately some people can ruin it for everyone. :(

the strange thing is that when the developers started talking about the forums becoming disfunctional I had this exact idea. I actually pm'ed some developers with the suggestion, because although it would be a shame, the forums should remain useful for the developers and the development of the battle for Wesnoth.

the thing is that apparently this had already been suggested by one of the guys that I pm'ed. (curse my bad luck)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The restructuring seems like a sound decision to me, however I do think that the "Ideas" forum should be open to newcomers. Yes, most ideas posted there are rehashes of old ones. Yes, a lot of the discussion which goes on there doesn't produce meaningful results, or add to the game's development.

However, I think that many users come to the forums specifically to give their ideas on Wesnoth. They may not be useful ideas, but to block them out is to send a signal to new users that "we don't want your ideas", and, more subtly, "we don't want you on our forums".

In short, I feel that dealing with an unruly ideas forum is necessary to ensure a vibrant and involved community.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
toms

Post by toms »

I wnat to tell the point wich makes me a bit crazy:
I´ve posted an idea in the ideas forum of the old board, and it´s now in the restricted part and I can´t "handle"(how should I explain) my topic. :(
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!