FOG clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

Seriously, I'll play any of you guys.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Noy wrote:sigh. you just don't get it do you? We don't need a clan for a type of game that is the overwhelming standard for wesnoth games. its more like 11 players no fog vs everybody else. Its really silly when Pillager goes off about Fog being unwesnoth... when its the standard by which all players play with.
AFAICT your're probably wrong, fog is NOT the standard since :
- it is disabled by default
- There are still more unfogged games than fogged games (when you're playing on 1.0 server it is easy to see). Yes it is true that advanced players (which are a minority) usually prefer to play with fog, that doesn't make fog a standard...
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Noyga wrote: AFAICT your're probably wrong, fog is NOT the standard since :
- it is disabled by default
Afaik this is so at least people are aware of the setting and try it some time. :P (I'm quite sure I can dig out a quote by Dave on this if I must.)
On a side note: default time limit settings are 0/10 :shock: ... I will see to changing that however.
In any case settings are remembered so default values have a significance for at most the first game you play.
Noyga wrote: - There are still more unfogged games than fogged games (when you're playing on 1.0 server it is easy to see). Yes it is true that advanced players (which are a minority) usually prefer to play with fog, that doesn't make fog a standard...
At a quick glance on the server I can see only fogged games. :roll:
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Erm on which server ?
Right now, i can see only 4 fogged games out of 11 games on the "stable" server.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Often, the majority of games on 1.1 are fogged up. However, if we're talking about "standards" here, we'd have to use 1.0...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

IMO, fog is only for stupid n00bs (Pardon the leet), who have to hide for their (weak) strategies to work.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

martenzo wrote:IMO, fog is only for stupid n00bs (Pardon the leet), who have to hide for their (weak) strategies to work.
lmao, nothig more :lol: :lol:

Do I sense problem with scouting? :P

PS. Y3s, I'm b|gg3st n00b
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Well I have yet to see a really good no fog player. From my experience most of the people who want to play without fog are 10-15 year old noobs who don't want to be bothered with scouting because they would rather get 4 burners to start the game out.

So I am not really interested in such games. It seems the domain of those unwilling or unable to handle yet another element (and a good one) in an already complex game. As far as number of games with or without fog, I also see a lot of games with shroud too, which besides some scenarios never makes sense (Either the host knows the map and gets a huge advantage, or both players know the map and then what is the freaking point?).

In the words of the great George Carlin regarding what you should say when people "quote the wisdom of the tribe" (to use a Francis Bacon reference),

"If someone says to you, 'Well a lot of people are doing X.' you tell them 'Well a lot of people ae really f&$^ing stupid too, should we just adopt all their standards?'.".
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Shroud on, fog off is also a simple compromise to this. Early scouting matters and opening builds/races can't be spotted, but after an initial confrontation, play proceeds faster.
Back from retirement, current project: Auction
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Becephalus wrote:Well I have yet to see a really good no fog player.
Most players use fog -> most good players use fog. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with foggers being better.
Becephalus wrote:From my experience most of the people who want to play without fog are 10-15 year old noobs who don't want to be bothered with scouting because they would rather get 4 burners to start the game out.
Well, from my experience,
1) you can't tell someone's age by meeting them on the internet,
2) most fog players are just as bad - the MP userbase is made of bad players. Again, it's the same between fog and no fog.
Becephalus wrote:So I am not really interested in such games. It seems the domain of those unwilling or unable to handle yet another element (and a good one) in an already complex game.
Well, personally, I don't play fog because it is so fogging annoying... if it had a perfect interface (Or at least as good as fogless Wesnoth's interface is now) then I'd try it out. But it doesn't, so I don't.

As to other people, you can find idiots in any group.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

You can even find idiots on this messageboard. Idiots are everywhere.

(Not referring to anyone.)