FOG clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I said I didn't like calling it a clan, not that I didn't call it a clan. I called it a clan in the hopes that people like you wouldn't try to treat it in the way I've complained about. As I see you cannot be placated by logic, I shall reverse my earlier decision.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

and by the way - I've offered you a match. Again. It didn't work. Again.

Lets not hide behind fallacies here. Just because the thread got deleted in off topic does not mean I don't have a save game of it. It was pretty conclusively shown that we never agreed to a match under your terms, but offered a more formal 3v3 or 2v2 standard match. You have maintained since then that you don't have time to engineer a match (yet you have time to post 6800 times about every topic under the sun).

And we did have a match once. If I remember it was a crushing. DK 7 kills 0 losses against you. I had 1 loss and 8 kills. I wonder how much better you would have done if you had one of your "no fog" kinsmen beside you.
Last edited by Noy on January 22nd, 2006, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I said I didn't like calling it a clan, not that I didn't call it a clan. I called it a clan in the hopes that people like you wouldn't try to treat it in the way I've complained about. As I see you cannot be placated by logic, I shall reverse my earlier decision.

And yet you called it a clan AFTER it was blatantly apparent what our response was and the thread got locked. You even "knighted" individuals. I think youre reversing out of your position now because its not looking too good for you.

If it looks like a clan, smells like a clan....
Elvish_Pillager

Noy wrote:Lets not hide behind fallacies here.
When I say "Again", I mean "Again". I have offered you TWO matches: the 3vs1 with the regrettable miscommunication, and the 3vs3, in the lobby, with any settings you'd like besides Fog, on no conditions but that you would organize the game. Your response was noncommital.
Noy wrote:And we did have a match once. If I remember it was a crushing. DK 7 kills 0 losses against you. I had 1 loss and 8 kills. I wonder how much better you would have done if you had one of your "no fog" kinsmen beside you.
Really? And you think I'm exactly the same person now as I was then? And you think if you can quote that, I can't also quote the game in which I beat you using only Orcish Assassins against you with only Orcish Grunts? If you're bragging about a random game from a year ago, you're on your last legs...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote: When I say "Again", I mean "Again". I have offered you TWO matches: the 3vs1 with the regrettable miscommunication, and the 3vs3, in the lobby, with any settings you'd like besides Fog, on no conditions but that you would organize the game. Your response was noncommital.
You have never organized a proper match. Actually you've done everything to avoid it. Asking me for a match when I've just finished a game and about to leave the server and then trying to claim that I turned you down in fear or duplicitously is a total drag. (aka lame)
Elvish Pillager wrote: Really? And you think I'm exactly the same person now as I was then? And you think if you can quote that, I can't also quote the game in which I beat you using only Orcish Assassins against you with only Orcish Grunts? If you're bragging about a random game from a year ago, you're on your last legs...
Are you suffering memory loss? Or was DK's drubbing that severe that you got amnesia and forgot the match alltogether? It wasn't even a week ago 2v2 on morturi, goleta was your ally (who kept me busy most of the match)....
Elvish_Pillager

Noy wrote:You have never organized a proper match. Actually you've done everything to avoid it.
That's true. I freely admit to being completely awful at match organization. Since you seem to think it's so easy, why don't you do it?
Noy wrote:Are you suffering memory loss?
Yes. Of course I am! Have you forgotten that this is Elvish Pillager you're talking to? The guy who actually claims that he doesn't remember things that seem entirely unimportant to him? I certainly do remember several matches recently on Morituri 2vs2, in which in all but two I had a devastating disadvantage due to luck, and one of those two in which I was playing stupidly for the fun of it against Hellrider! But I wouldn't trust my memory if I were you!
JW

Post by JW »

I'll gladly play any FOGGER or NO FOGGER in a 1v1 - as long as it isn't Charge....
Oh, I also don't claim to be better than anyone. I just like playing BfW. I would disagree with anyone that calls me a noob, however.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes. Of course I am! Have you forgotten that this is Elvish Pillager you're talking to? The guy who actually claims that he doesn't remember things that seem entirely unimportant to him? I certainly do remember several matches recently on Morituri 2vs2, in which in all but two I had a devastating disadvantage due to luck, and one of those two in which I was playing stupidly for the fun of it against Hellrider! But I wouldn't trust my memory if I were you!
Ah, of course it could never be you... its always "luck," or the RNG. or the RNG combined with luck.

Maybe its time to look somewhere else for the outcome of your matches.

Search within young paduan.....
Elvish_Pillager

Noy wrote:Ah, of course it could never be you... its always "luck," or the RNG. or the RNG combined with luck.

Maybe its time to look somewhere else for the outcome of your matches.
I generally stop after I multiply the values together and get 50%. No one can win against a decent player with that kind of a disadvantage.

And that's what it's been like in about 70% of the actual games I've played in 1.1. I'm not kidding - I've done the calculations.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Noy wrote:Ah, of course it could never be you... its always "luck," or the RNG. or the RNG combined with luck.

When that fails, try the ultimate trump card," I lost because ______ is UNBALANCED!

Works every time!
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Chris Byler

Post by Chris Byler »

Well, Wesnoth *is* a game in development. There almost certainly *are* some units/factions that are still unbalanced, and there are even more certainly some maps that are unbalanced.

But in any case, one game is not a solid proof of player skill even in a deterministic game of perfect information like chess or go, let alone in a game with randomness like Wesnoth. (Come to think of it, chess is unbalanced, too.) You need a sample of at least a dozen games - with different combinations of factions and maps - to be able to say anything about the relative skill levels of the players.
JW

Post by JW »

Chess is balanced. Committal of pawns by white allows black to determine the opening - usually. Non-commital of pawns by white allows black to grab the center - if so inclined.

Basically, going first isn't as big of an advantage as you think as it tips your hand. Countering is the greatest art a chess player can have. It's not because it's more powerful - it's because it is more difficult to master. This is why you see black lose in amateur players more frequently than not, and why amateurs think black is at a disadvantage.

Granted, white does get 1/2 a tempi on black, but that is worth about a 1/6th of a pawn...it's negligible.
Elvish_Pillager

Black is indeed at a disadvantage, albeit a small one. Chess is balanced because in any competitive game, each player plays black as much as they play white against each opponent.

Mirror matches balance almost any game. It's a pity you can't force the RNG to mirror results though. :P
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Chris Byler wrote:Well, Wesnoth *is* a game in development.
We are continuing to develop Wesnoth and working on new versions, however we also do already have a stable version, currently 1.0.2, that is no longer in development and has reached a stage of maturity.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

*pow* and another hit to the eye! *ba-boom* and Oh! What a right hook to the temple! EP is being hit left and right, all his defenses are being torn down. It doesn't look good for him....

to be continued
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.