Heir to the throne question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

neddam37

Heir to the throne question

Post by neddam37 »

Hello all, I played BfW years ago and recently got the bug to dive back in. Im planning on running through Heir to the throne and maybe Descent into Darkness. I was just wondering, which upgraded units are generally considered most useful for the various basic units? Just wondering which upgraded units should be prioritized.

Thanks for your time.
Spannerbag

Re: Heir to the throne question

Post by Spannerbag »

neddam37 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:31 pm Hello all, I played BfW years ago and recently got the bug to dive back in. Im planning on running through Heir to the throne and maybe Descent into Darkness. I was just wondering, which upgraded units are generally considered most useful for the various basic units? Just wondering which upgraded units should be prioritized.

Thanks for your time.
If you mean what would be the best units to recruit and which advancements would be most useful then you could always have a skim through the walkthroughs (they have spoilers but as you've played before I guess that doesn't matter so much to you?).
The (possibly slighty outdated) HttT walkthrough is at https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Mainline_Campaigns#Heir_to_the_Throne

Apologies if you knew about the walkthroughs already.

You get quite a few loyals in this campaign and these (plus Konrad of course) are always worth developing.
The walkthrough suggests what to recruit and advance in each scenario (if possible) - but there are many options and strategies and you may want to try something different.
Healers are always useful, so try to advance at least one Shaman to Druid early on if you can.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
otzenpunk

Re: Heir to the throne question

Post by otzenpunk »

Most important in the beginning is to level shamans. If you're able to level a shaman during the first scenario, or at the beginning of the second, it's probably best to get a sorceress, because she'd be really helpful to beat the Orcish chief in time and get the loyal knight. Otherwise, a druid is nice, followed by as many sorceresses as possible. After you've got access to mages, they are your main healers when levelling. After maybe two white mages, you can develop a red mage and try to level him into a silver mage, because teleportation is really nice.

All Elvish fighters should become captains, until you've got so many, that you really don't need any more leadership.

Rangers are by far better than marksmen, although you could get one or two of these later on.

Never ever level horsemen into lancers, because these are extremely suicidal and can't level any further anyway.

Levelled scouts are quite cool, but probably not a priority.