It appears im banned on the Multiplayer server.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vilebeggar

It appears im banned on the Multiplayer server.

Post by Vilebeggar »

I tried logging in to mp today after a 2 week break and i cant log in because its saying that my username is banned on the multiplayer forums. But here i am able to post freely here so what is going on? Is this a bug i am truly banned? If yes then id like to know why.

Thanks.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
patience_reloaded

Re: It appears im banned on the Multiplayer server.

Post by patience_reloaded »

Afaik the forum account is the same as the MP account on the official MP server. Getting banned on one should mean also getting banned on the other, instantly. I'm not sure though.
Possible reasons I can imagine you can't log into the MP server:
1) you made a typo in the username or password. On some clients, the client adds inexplicable whitespaces into the input fields in the form when trying to copy-paste the username and password.
2) the server that you tried to connect to is down.
3) There's a problem with the versions, and you can only join MP if your version is the same as the MP server expects.
4) you're trying to connect to a server other than the official server, and your account there got banned.
5) I'm wrong that the account is banned on both MP and forum at the same time, and you got indeed banned from MP.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I think the message has to change since it is not correct if he can log in to the forum still.

I remember I was once banned from the ruby core discussion tracker, but not deliberately - they changed 2FA and then disallowed
changes, so I could not even make any changes whatsoever to remedy that. This is why bans in general need to be very well
designed; it can cripple a user even if this was not an intention. So all these messages should also state reasons and such so that
people would not even have a need to come to a webforum. Last but not least, I would decouple this. For instance, I do not
play MP because of lack of time, but imagine if I were to play it, then get banned there and automatically also banned on the
forum. That can not seem to ever possibly be correct. The forum is a place for general exchange too, for instance, so why is
it then tied to the MP server? That seems a misdesign to me. But I do not know how it is ... may have to specify this in some
forum rule?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

MP uses forum accounts for authentication because certain people in the MP community have proven they would rather use proxies and VPNs to bypass IP-based bans they get for violating the rules rather than start following the rules. We can't have MP moderators sitting on the server 24x7 banning the same person the every few seconds it takes them to change their IP address (and no, "every few seconds" is not an exaggeration here).

1.16 added functionality to let players also be banned by name from individual games for the same reason - the multiplayer server used to enforce banning players from individual games only by their IP address and some players decided they'd rather keep changing their IP address so they could continue harassing the players in a game rather than, you know, not doing that.

This is why we can't have nice things, as the saying goes.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code