How to get handicapping add-ons to work?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ThatGuyTed

How to get handicapping add-ons to work?

Post by ThatGuyTed »

Newcomer to the board. Playing solo BfW on Manjaro Linux.

I downloaded a couple of add-ons, Double HP, and Gold per Village. I have no clue as to how to get either one to work. Are there files I need to edit?

Thanks in advance.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: How to get handicapping add-ons to work?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

ThatGuyTed wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 7:18 pm Newcomer to the board. Playing solo BfW on Manjaro Linux.

I downloaded a couple of add-ons, Double HP, and Gold per Village. I have no clue as to how to get either one to work. Are there files I need to edit?

Thanks in advance.
On the lower-left corner of the campaign menu, there is a modifications drop-down. Just tick what mods you want to use.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ThatGuyTed

Post by ThatGuyTed »

Thank you for the prompt answer. I'm embarrassed at my overlooking the obvious drop-down.

Next question: How to set the "handicap" in Gold per Village?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

ThatGuyTed wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 11:33 pm Thank you for the prompt answer. I'm embarrassed at my overlooking the obvious drop-down.

Next question: How to set the "handicap" in Gold per Village?
Pretty sure that once you enable, another "options" window will pop up and then prompt you to choose the amount of GPV (gold per village). Most modifications work this way.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ThatGuyTed

Post by ThatGuyTed »

Pretty sure that once you enable, another "options" window will pop up and then prompt you to choose the amount of GPV (gold per village). Most modifications work this way.
Sorry, I don't see that on this one. And believe me, after embarrassing myself first time, I looked very carefully.

Documentation for the add-on indicates that there should be horizontal sliders for each player and you can set separate bonuses or none for them.
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

It might be that some of those modifications only work properly in MP, even though they might be stated to work in SP too (I had a mod which, after playing an MP game, also showed up in the campaign mod dropdown even though it shouldn't have been there and didn't show up when freshly starting the game).
For the campaign add-ons, option windows usually show up only after starting the campaing. I don't remember whether before or after the difficulty window. If however the settings might need adjustments in every single scenario since the sides change... Could be that it's only available once the scenario is started.

If you want the AI to be weaker, instead of handicapping it, you could also go for an add-on that gives you possibilities that the AI doesn't have, like "Leader Magic Mod" for example, which allows your leader to use a large variety of magical spells based on a mana system. This can significantly strengthen you, since the AI can't use those spells. It might be a little confusing though tbh.