How is the in-game editor used?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How do you use the in-game editor?

I create scenarios using only the editor
No votes
I create scenarios using the editor that also contain hand coded WML
3%
I use the editor to create the map and then hand code all WML
71%
I use the editor to create the map and use no scenario or WML features
17%
I use the editor for another purpose (please post what it is!)
9%

Total votes: 35

name

Re: How is the in-game editor used?

Post by name »

JustNatan wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm Tbh the main reason why I don't use the editor for anything else but map creation is because I never knew that you could. It is called "map editor" so I thought it would only be an editor for maps. It had some grey buttons called "Areas" and "Side" but I didn't give them much thought (maybe just disabled, huh?)
This was my understanding as well. All this time, I had assumed the greyed-out scenario editing tools were To Be Done for some unspecified future version.

JustNatan wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm Now that I know that it has other functionalities as well, I just started the editor again and I would like to describe my impression:
[...]
gnombat wrote: December 20th, 2020, 10:32 pm I think it's just that the scenario-related features in the editor are awkward to use. If you save a scenario with the editor, the file contains this comment:
[...]
Good observations.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

BTIsaac wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 11:43 am
Pentarctagon wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:24 am
BTIsaac wrote: December 21st, 2020, 11:50 pm For example, many games that have editors use scripting tools that allow users to make scripts from pre made elements that are easy to learn and require little to no knowledge of coding. An editor that works like that is inevitably used by much more people than one that needs manual scripting.
I'm not looking to completely overhaul how the editor works - I simply don't have the time to attempt something like that.
It was an example. My point is that pulling something because there's no demand for it is not a successful mindset. Creating demand is. I wasn't trying to tell you what you should be doing. I mostly just went off on a tangent because you said something that made it come to mind.
I understand that. My own point is that I don't want to spend time trying to improve something that nobody is going to use regardless. The fact that it currently exists does not automatically mean it is useful or can be made to be useful.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

gnombat wrote: December 20th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Code: Select all

# This file was generated using the scenario editor.
#
# If you edit this file by hand, then you shouldn't use the
# scenario editor on it afterwards. The editor completely
# rewrites the file when it saves it, which will lose any WML
# that the editor doesn't support.
There's a way around it, but I admit, that nobody who uses the editor would get the idea.

# The WML generated by the editor is not inside a [scenario] or [multiplayer] tag,
# so one can …
[scenario]
	{./editor-generated-stuff.cfg}
	{./handwritten-events.cfg}
[/scenario]
Try out the dark board theme.
octalot
Developer

Post by octalot »

Shiki wrote: December 27th, 2020, 11:39 pm

[scenario]
[/scenario]
I've created a PR to put this in-game help (erm, and merged the PR then created a second one to correct the first :oops: ). #5399

I think it would be better to use the tag amendment syntax, because then it's well-defined what happens if an attribute such as id appears in both parts.

[scenario]
[/scenario]
[+scenario]
[/scenario]